I suggest you ...

Create a Ubiquitous .NET Client Application Development Model

This vote is for developers who wish to see the idea of a ubiquitous .NET client application development model created by Microsoft and the Visual Studio team.

A ubiquitous .NET client application development model is a model that is defined in .NET-based technologies and is able to run in a multitude of runtime environments -- both native-compiled (store-hosted) and web-hosted.

A *very* rough image of the vision can be found here:
http://i0.wp.com/blog.developers.win/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Vision.png

The goal is to enable *one* .NET Client Application Project to build deliverables for the following platforms:
1) Windows 10
2) Legacy Windows
3) *nix (Unix/Linux)
4) Droid
5) iOS
6) Macintosh
7) HTML5
8) ??? (Extendible to different, future platforms)

In order to achieve the above, a ubiquitous .NET client application development model should strive to possess the following qualities:
1) Native Cross-Platform Capable - For native-compiled/store-hosted scenarios (iOS/Droid/Windows Store)
2) HTML5-Compliant - For web-hosted scenarios, via .NET-to-JavaScript transpilation
3) Consistent User Experience - For brand recognition, reinforcement, and optimal usability across all known scenarios
4) Cross-Boundary Accessibility - For shared code/assemblies between server and client boundaries
5) Xaml-Powered - Harnessing one of the greatest inventions in Microsoft's great history
6) Object Serialization Congruence - Markup used to describe serialized objects is what is created in memory
7) Holistic Development Consistency - The same guidelines and conventions are used in both client and server scenarios

For more information around this idea and the qualities above, a series of articles has been created to discuss the notion of a ubiquitous .NET client application development model at length. You can view that series here:
http://blog.developers.win/series/bridge-to-dotnet-ubiquity/

Finally, this is intended to be a starting point for discussion, and not a final solution. THAT is meant for the experts there at Microsoft. :) Thank you for any support, dialogue, and feedback around this idea!

6,129 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Developers Win!Developers Win! shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

214 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike-EEEMike-EEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still blazing along here. We are now over 6k votes and going strong!

--

Weekly Friday morning check-in: 136 votes were cast for this idea last week, bringing the total to 45,171 combined votes across 10 similar ideas asking for a ubiquitous .NET. Please feel free to like and/or retweet to show your support to the "Big Three" here:
        https://twitter.com/DevelopersWin/status/832565033859178496

Thank you all who have shown and continue to show your support!

Digging the conversation here @Anonee, @Anonymous (with a profile picture, LOL), and @Marc. Finding myself nodding. :) Very encouraged about the future here.

• AnoneeAnonee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@anonymous, totally agree with you.

Microsoft can build a basic (virtual) windows GUI engine, draw every thing from scratch.
        The windows engine is responsible for draw window, button, checkbox, list-box (every windows widgets), Then, consume different operating system (or runtime)'s (such as Android, iOS, Windows legacy, windows 10 (for store app), as well as HTML5 canvas) draw 2D functions, MS can build a common GUI system, that can share everything for different OS/runtime and keep the same look and feel of the UI.
        They have 30+ years experience (since MS-Window 1.0) for build GUI system + message system, this is not difficult for them.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, XAML WPF could be published as a WebApp, run on Azure, and render on a HTML5 canvas, and receive input from the canvas.

• Marc RousselMarc Roussel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DRAG & DROP yes a must have but is this possible with MVC today ? Will we see a merge of XAML, C#, MVC or we will just see something with again 15 libraries and 6 syntaxes ?
        I'm on the floor. I want to quit as a developer.

great to hear mono will support webassembly! So we will see Xamarin.Forms on webassembly? Hope they also create a good drag&drop designer and not just the code previewer they have now.

45k total votes... next stop, 50k. :) We're also a little less than two weeks away from this vote being "Under Review" for an entire year. Whatever that means. :)

---

Weekly check-in: 48 votes were cast for this idea last week, bringing the total to 45,022 combined votes for a ubiquitous .NET across 10 similar votes. Please feel free to like and/or retweet to show your support to the "Big Three" here:
        https://twitter.com/DevelopersWin/status/830037774816382976

55 more votes and we'll be at a cool 45k collective votes for this idea. Additionally, this idea in particular is looking to ***** 6k on its own soon.

---

Weekly check-in: 85 votes were cast for this idea last week, bringing the total to 44,945 combined votes across 10 similar ideas asking for a ubiquitous .NET. Please feel free to like and/or retweet to show your support to the "Big Three" here:
        https://twitter.com/DevelopersWin/status/827492561497518080

Why not give the guys at Avalonia some cash and good jobs at MS? Work with them to build UWP cross platform in core. Plus, actually finishing UWP and getting better third party controls support would help.

Then we can leave web for scripting and put substantial apps on the desktop where they belong.

I never understood why we needed to put desktop apps in a browser as it = slow performance and lengthy development as previously stated.

• Marc RousselMarc Roussel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I'm doing my 1 year and 11 months in the world of web app development using JS, JQuery, Bootstrap, HTML and CSS to name a few, I remark that developing the UI is taking me 90% of the time for the overhaul application. the Business logic in C# is made at the speed of light. Making a good UI in the other hand is a huge nightmare. There's nothing we SEE to DRAG and DROP and place things and do effects etc. NOTHING !!!! It's a go and GUESS with pseudo code and run the application to see then going back and forth like that is time consuming. I hate developing USER INTERFACE like that. It reminds me of the old LISP development in AutoCAD !!

Did I tell you how bad the performance is with JS ? I'm so tired of this script it's unbearable

I want to develop a user interface using some kind of BLEND but when you look at ASP.NET or MVC with visual Studio DESIGN surface is impossible to work with. I'm wondering if I will see a tool like BLEND to develop web application in my programmer life time which by the way is almost at the end.

• AnoneeAnonee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

https://github.com/winjs/winjs
        WinJS has *already for a long time* stopped add new features, and go into maintenance status.

That indicates though JS+CSS+HTML is good for web site, but not suite for Application development. No one willing write apps with JS (or even TypeScript).

Instead, C#+XAML is promising! WebAssembly is almost ready to go, it's time to build a brand new web application runtime model, that is translate C#+XAML to wasm+html5Canvas (or webGL), code once, run everywhere (Windows Desktop, UWP, Xamarin, Web).

Slowly inching towards 45k with the total vote here...

39 votes were cast for this idea last week, bringing the total to 44,830 combined votes across 10 similar ideas asking for a ubiquitous .NET. Please feel free to like and/or retweet to show your support to the "Big Three" here:
        https://twitter.com/DevelopersWin/status/824961553459986432

• asiasi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

iki gundur bir turlu kurulamiyor.Kurulumu hızlı olsa iyi olur.

FWIW, we're one month away from having this vote being Under Review. It is also in the #2 spot for top ideas on this forum.

---

42 votes were cast for this idea last week, bringing the total to 44,772 combined votes across 10 similar ideas asking for a ubiquitous .NET. Please feel free to like and/or retweet to show your support to the "Big Three" here:
        https://twitter.com/DevelopersWin/status/822420454489157633

Back to business here. ;)

46 votes were cast for this idea last week, bringing the total to 44,727 combined votes across 10 similar ideas asking for a ubiquitous .NET. Please feel free to like and/or retweet to show your support to the "Big Three" here:
        https://twitter.com/DevelopersWin/status/819877485542338561

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base