I suggest you ...

Create a Ubiquitous .NET Client Application Development Model

This vote is for developers who wish to see the idea of a ubiquitous .NET client application development model created by Microsoft and the Visual Studio team.

A ubiquitous .NET client application development model is a model that is defined in .NET-based technologies and is able to run in a multitude of runtime environments -- both native-compiled (store-hosted) and web-hosted.

A *very* rough image of the vision can be found here:
http://i0.wp.com/blog.developers.win/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Vision.png

The goal is to enable *one* .NET Client Application Project to build deliverables for the following platforms:
1) Windows 10
2) Legacy Windows
3) *nix (Unix/Linux)
4) Droid
5) iOS
6) Macintosh
7) HTML5
8) ??? (Extendible to different, future platforms)

In order to achieve the above, a ubiquitous .NET client application development model should strive to possess the following qualities:
1) Native Cross-Platform Capable - For native-compiled/store-hosted scenarios (iOS/Droid/Windows Store)
2) HTML5-Compliant - For web-hosted scenarios, via .NET-to-JavaScript transpilation
3) Consistent User Experience - For brand recognition, reinforcement, and optimal usability across all known scenarios
4) Cross-Boundary Accessibility - For shared code/assemblies between server and client boundaries
5) Xaml-Powered - Harnessing one of the greatest inventions in Microsoft's great history
6) Object Serialization Congruence - Markup used to describe serialized objects is what is created in memory
7) Holistic Development Consistency - The same guidelines and conventions are used in both client and server scenarios

For more information around this idea and the qualities above, a series of articles has been created to discuss the notion of a ubiquitous .NET client application development model at length. You can view that series here:
http://blog.developers.win/series/bridge-to-dotnet-ubiquity/

Finally, this is intended to be a starting point for discussion, and not a final solution. THAT is meant for the experts there at Microsoft. :) Thank you for any support, dialogue, and feedback around this idea!

10,976 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Developers Win! shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

489 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More Info:
        Electron is an open source library developed by GitHub for building cross-platform desktop applications with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Electron accomplishes this by combining Chromium and Node.js into a single runtime and apps can be packaged for Mac, Windows, and Linux.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
        +1 I would love to see:

rapid application development LOB for web based on webassembly.
        Winforms/Delphi drag&drop/events/layout style designer experience.
        WPF/XAML based expierence to edit UI code directly independant of the designer and flexibility.
        Share .net objects and class lib between UI / backend.

• Theodore Zographos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WPF is an *AMAZING* framework, built to create large-scale enterprise desktop applications.

We definitely need a similar, XAML-based, true MVVM, UI framework for the web using Typescript and C# that transpiles to HTML5/Javascript and WebAssembly respectively.

There is already an attempt, called Avalonia, but its development progress is slow.
        Microsoft should definitely weigh-in and start developing something bigger, always keeping WebAssembly in mind.

The problem is Microsoft.
        Microsoft abandon developers.
        They abandoned Silverlight developers
        They abandoned LightSwitch developers
        They abandoned VB6 programming developers
        If you use Microsoft you just know they will abandon you too.

+1 .net+xaml+designer for web.

aspnetcore is great for backend REST services but we need a .NET client XAML UI for web.

• juepiezhongren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the great philosophy out of WPF is the core energy of our endless dreamings and longings that one day Xaml & C# are to conquer the entire client world!

• Oliver Shaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Roger, great article!

I remember when apple where onboard with SL.

I think I'd feel a whole lot better if MS released a roadmap including plans for GC, C#, XAML in WebAssembly.

Currently there is only toolchain for C/C++ and JavaScript API on WebAssembly.

I remember the good old days when developers had some clarity moving forwards. Makes it very difficult to innovate without it.

I'll remain hopeful that I can once again consider myself an MS fanboy.

http://www.esarcasm.com/1218/oldest-living-microsoft-fanboy-tells-all/

• Roger J. Wilco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Oliver, did you read that WebAssembly article below? Apple is on board:
        http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/31/webassembly_browser_makers_buy_in/

This doesn't circumvent the App Store anymore than "websites" (which are really just applications hosted in a web page) do. WebAssembly is also 20x faster than JavaScript, meaning if you code anything in JavaScript in the next year (or rather next March, after WebAssembly is released), you will be obsolete and considered a dinosaur.

• Oliver Shaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WebAssembly will be SL all over again. Apple and Google will not want it to happen as it circumvents App Stores. I'm guessing this is why the preview is in Edge because MS want to run games on their devices. Plus, it'll be a long time coming.

I think the best bet is cross platform desktop apps such as Avalonia, which looks awesome! .NET community should get behind this. CSHTML5 guys are progressing very quickly - but it's not backed by MS and it probably has performance issues.

I don't like the idea of writing JS and HTML as it's slow and difficult to maintain.

MS (Apple and Google) will probably f*ck us again because they only do what's in their $$ interest. I think they might be interested in cross platform desktop apps as it doesn't break their model. Maybe Satya Nadella will see the strategic benefit to giving his shrinking community of developers a method of building awesome and fast ubiquitous apps. Meaning rescue his failing App Store by giving 'programmers' the ability to make the best desktop apps in the market.

We must also remember office 365, Power BI and Dynamics are all asp.net as I know.

Fingers crossed, but unless something is decided very soon we'll be migrating to plebweb tech.

Maybe some awesome human that works at MS will make a post here and instantly win back all their die hard developers in one go.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WebAssembly + WebGL is the target of choice for CIL... Asking for HTML+JS will be soon outdated, we should be getting ahead of the curve... Microsoft... You better not f*ck this up for us... Start working on prototypes internal on this... We do not want to hear head of Microsoft saying again that MS miss the boat on new application model... Like it happens with Mobile Windows phones

Feedback and Knowledge Base