I suggest you ...

Improve the performance of Visual Studio

Visual Studio seems to be getting slower. Please focus on improving the performance and limiting the enormous load on the HDD

5,179 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Koen WillemseKoen Willemse shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you to all who provided ideas and votes on this topic. We used that data to help prioritize the improvements in Visual Studio 2012 and have been continuing this work with the VS 2013 release.

As Visual Studio 2013 Preview has now shipped, we’d like to close this item to give your votes back to use on specific topics. Our Visual Studio performance team will continue working to improve performance at an ongoing basis. However, we are closing down this general idea, so that you can use your votes on more specific performance topics, and help us focus our team’s investments. When you have performance related suggestions, please create or vote on specific Perf ideas here: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/category/52115-performance

Please use Visual Studio 2013 Preview (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=306566) and continue your feedback and votes– we highly value your feedback.

Visual Studio Team

92 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Saad AliSaad Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual studio 2012 ultimate is piece of **** takes 2 years to create a web project F.U microsoft learn from oracle and make something like eclipse

• David LloydDavid Lloyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your Visual Studio software is Not fit for purpose. Can you remember Borland C ? That was fast, reliable software. It was so fast on a DX2 it makes your software look absolutely pathetic. I have an 8 core 3 GHz machine and it takes absolutely ages to compile C++ files. However using Sony's SDK for their hardware, which uses their own compiler and linker (designed for Sony games machines) it compiles AND LINKS about 20 times faster.
        Face it, your compiler is no longer fit for purpose, neither is your linker (that was not fit for purpose 10 years ago).
        Sack everyone on the team, delete your entire codebase and start again.

• MarcoMarco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our team we believe that it is not the case that you are focusing on ide performance. Can you share with us any performance test of VS2012 against VS2013? I believe that 90% of tests will be clearly dominated by VS2012.
        I hope you do know that the biggest reason we hear why people leave Visual Studio is because of its slowness and bulkyness. But you keep adding features instead of stopping, getting rid of the least used functions and focussing on performance.
        We tried to switch to VS2013 more than once and even now with the official Update 2 the performance is a disaster.
        We use our code in ramdisks only and we all have SSD to overcome those problems, but VS 2013 was just a big step back and a disappointment. when will you start listening to developers?

Also we always have to test ourself if the new updates are usable since you don't share performance tests. It would be great if you could start a website with some open-source performance benchmarks that the community could take over and keep improving.
        It would be a great piece of information to know when it is the right time to upgrade to a new version.
        But from what I can see VS2013 might never reach that stage and should just be skipped.

• DonaldDonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pathetic... I am late at the office debugging a large solution. Basically after each test the quickest solution to regain control over visual studio is to kill the devenv process, restart visual and reload the whole solution.
        Otherwise I am stuck with spinning cursors, faded pages and stupid messages suggesting I report this to Microsoft.
        Not to mention that I need to manually delete dll and pdb in the output folder which are randomly locked.
        The overall quality of Microsoft product is getting so ridiculous I barely can work anymore.

• Nick GilbertNick Gilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Tony - The design tool is for beginners who don't know what they're doing - not professional developers working on large projects. HTML was never designed to be created using a GUI.

• Tony DyerTony Dyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The performance of the Design tool is pathetic for 'large' web-forms (>100 controls). I've just upgraded from 20005 straight to 2012 and from he comments on here I'm glad to have skipped 2010!
        It takes several minutes to make a design change, I have to do it in the Source. Even inserting text on the page may result in a wait of 2-3 minutes while it refreshes.

I'm seriously considering researching pther options.

• Csaba TothCsaba Toth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are solutions with more than 140 projects. Today TFS can handle them much better than VS2010 did (not to mention VS2008), but maybe there's still room for improvement.

• Przemysław KarlikowskiPrzemysław Karlikowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do not need super UI, animations, visual experience (reqiureing hardware graphics acceleration!!!) and all that stuff. It doesn't have to be beautiful - it should be simple, usable, fast and lightweight.

• Dave NovakDave Novak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In fairness to the VS-2012 and the MS VS Team, recent product updates have significantly improved performance, especially with debugging. It's quite a significant improvement over earlier Betas and Release Candidates. Of course performance could always be better, but at this point I'd rather they invest in adding new features, such as the Record/Playback support found in VS-2010 (and most any other IDE for the past 20+ years). See http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2650757-bring-back-macros

• Phil MurrayPhil Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its the second most voted topic on the site for gods sake. I also expect nothing further will be done, just to match the top voted item.

• Phil MurrayPhil Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The performance of VS2012 (over 2010) is improved but is still not what I would call acceptable. This can not be closed. Do M$ not care what there loyal user base thinks are issues.
        4600+ votes and counting.

• Fabio von HertellFabio von Hertell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I think to really cope with this, a new feature would be great which visualizes the resource usage of different VS-modules and plugins over time so that one can identify bottlenecks and configure the IDE accordingly.

• ThomasXThomasX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>This idea remains very highly voted, but has slipped outside the top 20 in terms of hot votes, meaning few people are still voting for it.

That is the worst excuse I ever heard.

• A GA G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely ridiculous to have a xaml editor freeze. I'm not using a designer, I'm editing text!

• Jason RJason R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Create a new Silverlight Business Application
        2. Build
        3. Open "Data Sources" window

WTF!?!?!! I'm NOT renewing MSDN subscriptions at our firm for the first time in 20 years.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base