Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

137 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JemariJemari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES for Michael Cowan's feature as described in his March 12th, 2014 post!

I need to rename a project. Our client who has view access to TFS wants to change the name. The name is also easily confused with another project, and sometimes work items are entered under the wrong project. We need a fix. As a workaround, I have a number or queries and activities I do to ensure all the items are in the right place. This takes hours every sprint.

We have a little joke to make light of the occasional lacking TFS feature (can't query tags, cannot easily remove weekends from the burndown chart, new work items default to current sprint). We say "WTFS!"

It is to know another team pushes some doozies to production, not just mine! Overall, we love TFS.

• EricTNEricTN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As you look at how to solve this I'd recommend going back historically and seeing if anyone has notes from when the problem of how to move from the DOS 8.3 file name standard to Windows long file names was successfully tackled, since that's somewhat similar, in that the impact of getting it wrong would've been huge, but they found a way through it by having every filename have a unique 8.3 equivalent being managed (as I understand it). I also think the idea mentioned by Michael Cowan below is on point. That is, you take the existing infrastructure and add one or more properties to it (DisplayName). The existing identifier goes through the arc that 8.3 filenames went through, that is, right now it's overt, but eventually it could fade more in the background as an internal property.

• Alon.GretaAlon.Greta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nate - how do you clone the existing project and not lose all the work item meta-data (links, IDs, attachments), test asset meta-data(test suites/test plans), lab management meta-data (builds/build results), version control meta-data (annotations, history, labels), and security meta-data (groups, permissions)?

If you have some solution that gives you all that meta data under a new name.....please share your workaround.

• Michael CowanMichael Cowan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a great idea to mitigate this.

Add a new property called "DisaplyName" to the project. If its blank, use the original name, if its not blank use that name everywhere.

Also create a GUID ID for each project that can be used instead of any name. So all scripting / API can be done against the project GUID.

Keep the initial name plumbed everywhere as you have it. Let all API's continue to use the original name .. but allow us to use the GUID ID and friendly display name.

thanks

• Doug BakerDoug Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very valuable when restructuring team collections and consolidating team projects. I could be making good use of it right now if it were available.

• Johan MeijerJohan Meijer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's unbelievable that this was not a must when developing the first version of TFS. As a software developer, the first thing after creating a functionality to create an item (ANY item) is programming a way to edit that item. What if I made a typo, what if the project changed over time, so that the name doesn't serve it's purpose anymore? And yes I know, I can use some third party software to copy all the stuff from one team project to the other. But that's not the way it should be. I think I'll just hack into the SQL database of TFS...

• William van StrienWilliam van Strien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We aim to utilize TFS as future proof system administration for a new application suite. One of the first things you typically then need/do, is create a TFS project so that you can fill the product backlog. Only in a later stadium the final application identity / name was decided on by business. Due the lack of ability to rename TFS projects our administration now deviates from that name, even while we just started....

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it is a good idea to be able to rename a TFS project. I really don't want to set up a new one and deal with imports.

• Andy NeillansAndy Neillans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe that MS have forced the project (tfsprojectutility) to be removed and yet do not provide a mechanism to do this already (even in TFS 2013).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Project Naming Convention that was used during initial configuration is horrible and really confusing. Microsoft please consider adding this ASAP, should have been included since day one.

• Ray RascherRay Rascher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that renaming a TFS project would be really nice to have. I actually expected this to already be possible until I spoke with my TFS Admin.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base