rename project in TFS
Rename existing project in TFS
We are happy to let you know that this feature is now available on Visual Studio Online. You can find details in the release notes at https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2015-apr-24-vso. This feature will be included in TFS 2015 RC, which is coming shortly. More information is available on Brian Harry’s blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bharry/archive/2015/04/24/team-project-rename-available-on-vs-online.aspx). We will mark this feedback as complete once we release TFS 2015 RC.
TFS Program Manager
Matteo Migliore commented
I don't know if anyone has tried the TFS integration tool, but you can change the name of a project using this tool. The only thing to be aware of is if you have any files in source control that are deleted, you need to either undelete them or permanently delete them before processing the project. To rename the project just setup a new project, delete the build files in source control and then reintegrate the old project into the new one with the new name. Hope this helps.
Ronnie Wilkins, Jr. commented
Definitely a needed capability
Prashanth KR commented
Renaming a team project is a great feature. But what will happen to the view history changesets?
Vagner Monteiro commented
Great! It will be very useful.
Jim Keena commented
I have waited almost 4 years for this feature! Thank you!
Matt Ros commented
Jarkkow I like your list, alot. It's taken Microsoft 10 years to get to this feature. Been broken and reported on connect.microsoft.com since TFS 2005. Surely Brian Harry will ensure that the feature will be complete, work seamlessly, and be easy to use. I really like your suggestion that renaming a team project should NOT require down time...it should be like live migration in HyperV where the VM never goes down...and when renaming a team project I shouldn't have to tell every dev to stop what they are doing....disable all builds, stop project managers from updating workitems, etc. TFS should just seamlessly handle the rename and let clients continue to work and when it's complete and the new name is in place...just refresh the client with the new name. Oh and, please for the love of god...MS don't make me change any settings on our MOSS server...that process takes weeks from our internal IT group. Again just handle it nicely and the 10 year wait will have been worth it.
any update on the status?
Date is still TBD? Any updates?
Nice to see this updated, finally... Ewald/ED...can you guys please engage here on Uservoice more frequently....Please?
In seeing Brian's comment on his blog that team project rename is "nowhere near finished yet but the basic infrastructure enabling it is coming into being." I really hope you guys are going to be thinking through and delivering a complete "rename team project" feature.
And by complete I'm thinking:
1) Rename Team Project will update SSRS reports
2) Rename Team Project will update SharePoint
3) Rename Team Project will allow for historical querying of data to the old name (version control, builds, test plans, and most IMPORTANT the Cube)
4) Renamed Team Project will work for ALL editions of Visual Studio and (Visual Studio 2005, Visual Studio 2008, Visual Studio 2010, Visual Studio 2010, Visual Studio 2012, Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2015, and Team Explorer Everywhere)
5) Renamed Team Project will work for MSSCI and SQL SSMS
6) Renamed Team Project will not take the team project offline during the rename process (if we have people still checking in their checkins will live migrate to the new team project name...I DON'T want to have to have a DOWNTIME to rename a team project...we have builds that take days to run and I don't want to have to coordinate a downtime just make it work live live migrating a VM)
7) Renamed Team Project can be renamed multiple times...I like to change my mind and try new names and retry old names
8) Renamed Team Projects will work in Lab Management and allow for historical views of the data with the old name
9) Renamed Team Projects will work with Process Template customized fields and Global Lists.
10) Renamed Team Projects will work with API calls to the old team project name...we have build templates that look up the Team Project by name. Ensure the API handles calling the old team project name.
11) Renamed Team Projects will update the TFS Security Group names....all of the TFS Security Groups by default have the name in the string for example "ProjectAlpha Contributors" so I expect the rename feature to update the group names with the new name.
12) We have migrated VSS repositories to TFS and so renaming team projects better NOT break, VSS migrated repos. I don't want any Version Control labels/branches with the old team project name.
13) We have branched between team project source control projects..so the source control branches between team projects better work with the new names and update the descriptions text on the branches.
14) Team Project rename better be FAST. I should be able to click rename and have it take less than a second...like when I rename a folder in Windows.
You guys have had at least 4 years to build this feature...and these are the ideas that just come to mind off of the top of my head.
Build this feature RIGHT. Ship the feature all of us are asking for, for the past 4 years.
Juliana F. Borges commented
Great!! We look forward to it!
Thanks for the correction, Ed. Speaking of frustration, UserVoice only allows you to delete posts and not edit them. Ewald's announcement makes it sound as if rename will be fixed in TFS2015 on-premise first, and then for Online at a later date.
When I said "will not include support for VSOnline" this is what I meant. More like "will not include support for VSOnline *first*" or "out of the gate."
Thank you for engaging your customers. This carries a lot of weight with us!
Ed Blankenship commented
@MichaelD - I wouldn't say that it doesn't mean that there won't be support in Visual Studio Online. Ewald was only mentioning that we don't have an ETA for when it will be released in Visual Studio Online. Renaming team projects will be available in Visual Studio Online.
Product Manager, Visual Studio Online & TFS
Thanks Joel. This problem is systemic in MSFT and not just in TFS. For some reason, MSFT usually places an intern in charge of creating tables and entity models when a project first starts, and they inevitably lock in an ID field to a string (usually a name) instead of a generated GUID, causing all sorts of ugliness in the system. Like I said, it's prevalent and not confined to just TFS. Office365 is a good example of this, too. You cannot easily rename a domain name in Office365 and have to cancel the account and created a new one. This is incredibly embarrassing and reflects poorly on MSFT. Maybe they needed to have asked better questions during their whiteboard interviews back in the day. ;)
To the TFS group's credit, they have gotten much better and you can see where the talent truly lies now in MSFT. TFS Online Account rename is a good example. It's just taken so long to get this addressed, and the frustration of the mindset required to overlook this clearly obvious scenario is painfully felt and voiced in this thread.
Just to summarize here. This vote was started in 2011 and is just now finally getting on the release backlog for next year. Altogether, that means it will be a FULL FOUR YEARS when it will be fixed. That is a presidential term, or a college degree... or both!
What's shocking here is that will not include support for VSOnline, which is what everyone uses anyways. Let's just hope that getting VSOnline integration doesn't take as long as this issue has taken already. Maybe I should plan for my masters degree now. :P
Cracking up at MichaelD!
Is it fixed yet?
An update would be appreciated, Really could use this sooner than later.
Chase Florell commented
our issue. TeamCity. It replaces anything wrapped in percent (%) signs with a variable. So if there are two spaces in your project ~My Awesome Project~ the url will be ~My$20Awesome$20Project~
And now TeamCity sees 20Awesome as a variable, and then tries to replace it... breaking the VCS root. AHHHHHHH
Please fix this.
Is it fixed yet?
we started with a long, descriptive name which is a problem now (with areas, itertions and paths).
So please add renaming functionality.