(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

64-bit Edit and Continue is now available when debugging C# and VB applications with Visual Studio 2013 and CLR 4.5.1.

You can download the Preview here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/2013-downloads

If you want to vote on 64 bit edit and continue for C++, you can do so here:
    http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/4126415-x64-edit-and-continue-for-c-

102 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am focussing on and learning 64-Bit development since a while and, hence, will greatly appreciate being able to use an optimal supported plattform. So, please, bring in the Edit & Continue stuff for x64 to make developer's heart smile again. It'll save a substantial amount of time during the development phase creating new stuff :)

• Eric Newton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dont mix the two issues: E&C 64bit application and E&C Anonymous Method support are different.

• Dima commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't use 32 making plugin! But application is loading very slow. Edit and continue was key point when I had 32 bit windows.

• andrewh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do all of my development in 64. E&C is such a useful tool, it REALLY NEEDS to be there. I'm amazed that with all the win8/64 bit hooraw going on that VS would be released without it. It is simply deficient. PLEASE fix this.

• Jacqueline Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Writing x64 .NET apps for AutoCAD, if a change is needed, stop the program, remember where to change the source code, rebuild, launch AutoCAD again to retest: frustrating when it's a hundred times a day! Please bring in Edit & Continue!

• Bert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With 64bits application, there is no work around to make Edit and Continue work. So any time I want to debug, I need to let the application (AutoCAD) start. Load a DLL. Start to debug. If I see a bug. I need to shut down the Application, correct and start the application again... I can do that a hundred times a day. God it's painful. Please fix that fast!!

• Tom Spilman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why was this declined?

Our team avoids lamdas, anonymous methods, and now async/await because of the lack of edit and continue.

• Yaniv Feinberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you all for your comments.

I hope some of you will be willing to help me understand better your scenarios by sharing with me what are you building using 64-bit and what platforms are you targeting.

If you prefer you can also contact me directly at YanivF@Microsoft.com.

Thank you - Yaniv, .Net runtime program manager, Microsoft.

• Saurabh Agarwal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Edit Continue of Visual Studio was very productive and helpful feature. It would be very handy to have it back forVisual Studio 2012 on Windows 7 Profressional 64 bit OS.

• AK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. It will be very helpfula and will save a lot of time.. :)

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just switched to 64-bit development and fonud out that Visual Studio does not support Edit & Continue for x86. What on earth were the Visual Studio development team thinking? This is a crucial feature that has been in VS for years. Developing without it is like going back to the Stone Age.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you want to stay in market, or simply if yoo want to provide a REAL PROFESSIONAL tool, please do this.

• SamCPP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please... for productivity I have to change my startup project to x86 in development from AnyCPU. This is a really poor development experience considering our software is designed to run in 64-bit!

<sigh> Just do it. This should be a priority. It's been missing, broken or half broken, depending on your platform or language, since VS2002.

Yes. It boggles the mind that this wouldn't be implemented, with all the other trash they spend their time on.

Feedback and Knowledge Base