Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

64-bit Edit and Continue is now available when debugging C# and VB applications with Visual Studio 2013 and CLR 4.5.1.

You can download the Preview here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/2013-downloads

If you want to vote on 64 bit edit and continue for C++, you can do so here:
    http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/4126415-x64-edit-and-continue-for-c-

102 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Karl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add Edit and Continue on 64bit. Then I could do away with my 32bit machine.

• Augusto Goncalves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really relevant for us, specially developers that must work with 64 bit plug-ins. Today the amount of time lost on launch and re-launch is killing our ideas.

• Abdelhak Ouhlal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I signed for the same purpose. Edit and Continue under x64 must go on. This feature is critical to many developers.

• Stephen Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I signed in purely to vote for this too. How long has it been now?

Our software company is dropping support for x32. This is crippling! There is -no- feature, none, more important than E&C! No library, not C++x0 features, not new ability to dock windows (which are all very nice) - I just want to be ale to write my code and keep going!

• c3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

E&C and instant builds are critical. Turbo Pascal and Turbo C made development enjoyable.

The slow builds are taking joy from my work life.

I'll stop developing Windows apps if this is not fixed. I can't take the slow builds. Without E&C I'm being tortured! You need to withhold privileges like sunlight from the development team until they provide E&C :)

• c3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to vote on this, but the item is closed. :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The original visual basic was a real technology step forward for windows development that cut down development time massively. Dot.Net with all it's integration is great but, and you know what I'm going to say.... it is no where near as easy to develop speedily as good old VB6. This is mainly due to the lack of Edit & Continue support across all features. Hey come on VB6 is way old now we should have something better in every department.

• Alex Chirokov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

signed in just to vote for this!

The lack of E&C for 64bit is the biggest hurdle for moving to fully 64bit environment. Absolutely essential!

• Alex Chirokov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make E&C work in 64bit and with anonymous methods! This is one of THE MOST essential feature of visual studio.

• softboy99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as i know, This is because the debugger for 64 bit app in 64 bit OS is just a workaround.lt uses remote debugging to simulate the debugging even when do the debug on our local computer. Because the VS is 32 bit App.

See the following:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsdebug/thread/8c8fa9e0-c176-45ff-b284-f8aacb280028/#c8807dd7-0e57-4d25-bba9-9979b1d4b5d3

Pls help to vote the following suggestion and push the MS guys to improve it. Thanks.

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2980976-we-need-a-64-bit-of-vs-if-32-bit-vs-debugging-per

• Afshin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential, really needed in big projects, please please please...!

• fab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Major concern for me (c++ developper).
        Ask google "visual studio edit and continue 64 bit", 1.900.000 results.
        It seems i'm not the only one

• naval commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With 64 bit systems becoming more mainstream, edit and continue of 32 bit is no longer making sense.

For future systems 64 bit of edit and continue is must.

Feedback and Knowledge Base