(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

64-bit Edit and Continue is now available when debugging C# and VB applications with Visual Studio 2013 and CLR 4.5.1.

You can download the Preview here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/2013-downloads

If you want to vote on 64 bit edit and continue for C++, you can do so here:
    http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/4126415-x64-edit-and-continue-for-c-

102 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marshall Page commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Edit and continue in x64 mode is essential. My development time has gone up by 500% because of my inability to do rapid prototyping using this invaluable feature. I am familiar with all the work arounds and none of them are the solution to solving this issue. If I could pack the ballot box with this one request, I surely would! Cheers, and please elevate this in your list of planned features for VS 11.

• Urs Meili commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally, VS 2011 Beta supports E&C in methods with Lambda Expressions! You still cannot alter the lambda expression itself, but at least the method surrounding it :-) good work, Microsoft!

• Draco Paladine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ALL "FEATURE DEVELOPMENT" OF EnC SHOULD BE STOPPED. NOTHING should go forward until c64 native ENC has been put in place!!!! PERIOD!!!!

• AdminVisual Studio UV Site Admin (Admin, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Edit & Continue is one of the most challenging Visual Studio features to implement and there’s no question that the road to today’s current state has been a very bumpy one.

In addition to its technical challenges Edit & Continue also requires collaboration across several areas:

• The platform (Visual Studio) and framework (.NET/CLR) teams need to offer or be extended to offer additional core debugging functionality.
        • The language team needs to then surface this framework functionality in their specific language implementation.
        • The debugger team manages the communication between the compilers and the running process and hooks up the experience to the debugger UI.
        With this in mind it is easy to see why today’s experience is not as consistent across the platform as we want.
        Over the past few years, a few factors have eroded the quality of Edit & Continue:
        • Prevalence of 64-bit
        • New Language Features in C# & VB
        • New Technologies for the Web

Because of these factors, many of have expressed frustration and have given up on a once popular feature. For Visual Studio 11, we have improved the state of Edit & Continue but we realize that there is more work to do.

How we improved Edit and Continue
        1. Mirrored existing functionality for VB (since Visual Studio 2008) to allow Edit & Continue for the following constructs for C#:
        • Lambdas
        • Query Expressions
        • Anonymous Methods
        • Anonymous Types Creation
        2. Added better messaging to show you which actions are not supported so you can better predict when Edit & Continue is available.
        Unfortunately though you still aren’t able to add, modify, or delete the contents of lambda expressions, query expressions, or anonymous types. Like you, we realize that there is more work needed to be done here to return Edit & Continue to the level you expect. As we continue to work on the specific parts of this, it’s important for you to vote on the active suggestions to improve these experiences.

If you haven’t looked at the Edit & Continue in 2010 yet it is definitely worth a play. You can also download Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview to explore Edit & Continue around Lambdas for C#.

• Ciaran O'Donnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as x63 becomes more common I think that should be important. I dont understand the technical reason for it not working for 64bit but hopefully its solvable

• Cesar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really needed feature. I'm about to forget to use the Edit and Continue, because most of the time I fall in situations that is not possible to use E-C.
        I know in lambda scenarious it could lead to strange behaviours, then just show a message saying this (when trying to change code) and give us a "Enable Edit and Continue anyways / I know what I'm doing" button.

• abatishchev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bruce, actually E-and-C in code-behind will cause assembly re-build, thus application restart, so that's pretty complex problem to be solved.
        If your project compiles 3-5 minutes, you need to split it into several parts to prevent full re-compilation, and compile only a small dll updated. Do you use web app project or web site?

• Bruce Leggett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Edit and Continiuation of ASP.NET Code Behind would be a HUGE productivity enhancement. It's very frustrating having to stop Visual Studio to make one minor code behind change, like adding a space to text, then having to wait three to five minutes for it to build and compile the asp.net code.

• Daniel Svensson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- Lambas prevent edit and continue is a real pain in the ***
        - Don't forget Silverlight edit and continue (yes I mean Silverlight and not just WinRT) which currently don't exist at all

"duplicate" for x64 edit and continue here http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2037667-x64-edit-and-continue so the number of voices count should increase by 50%

• vsuser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Joshua: there are many scenarios where you don't have the option to change to 32bit.

• vsuser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to adjust the right category to this suggestion?
        I think the categoriy 'Debugger' would match better than just 'Visual Studio Ultimate'.

• Jan Rieger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our typical projects have the following properties:
        - x64
        - mixed mode cpp AND c#
        - source files lying on a network share
        Please make that also in this scenario edit and continue is working

• RH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree entirely. Why do you make edit and continue so difficult to use? I'm foreever fiddling around with .NET projects trying to get it to work. Wastest so much time.

• Omer Raviv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You forgot one item - Edit and Continue doesn't work when a Profiler is attached, and so doesn't work with IntelliTrace.
        Being that IntelliTrace is presented as a major step forward in VS debugging, it doesn't make sense people should have to take a big step back and not use E&C with it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base