I suggest you ...

Support web.config style Transforms on any file in any project type

Web.config Transforms offer a great way to handle environment-specific settings. XML and other files frequently warrant similar changes when building for development (Debug), SIT, UAT, and production (Release). It is easy to create additional build configurations to support multiple environments via transforms. Unfortunately, not everything can be handled in web.config files many settings need to be changed in xml or other "config" files.

Also, this functionality is needed in other project types - most notably SharePoint 2010 projects.

8,828 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chuck Fields shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We believe we have addressed the main issues that are top of mind regarding this UserVoice item and are closing this item as completed.

First, we have added additional support for XML files. Second, the Visual Studio team has taken ownership of SlowCheetah and will be maintaining and updating it moving forward. Lastly, SlowCheetah has been integrated with MSBuild by adding NuGet support for transformations. Projects that depend on SlowCheetah will restore NuGet packages and apply transformations after build. We need to balance adding new features to Visual Studio with performance and simplicity. The SlowCheetah extension allows users to add and preview transforms but isn’t required to execute a transform. Given a relatively low usage of these features and the flexibility in shipping we get by staying out of the Visual Studio release cycle, we believe it’s better for the Visual Studio developer community that SlowCheetah stays as an extension that is fully supported by Microsoft.

If you have additional requests for SlowCheetah or believe this resolution doesn’t meet all of your requirements, please open a new UserVoice item for that specific concern.

You can find the SlowCheetah extension here: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioProductTeam.SlowCheetah-XMLTransforms

Please file any bugs on our GitHub page: https://github.com/Microsoft/slow-cheetah/issues

Thank you for helping improve Visual Studio!

522 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sergey Smirnov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that SlowCheetah will no longer be supported, it would be great if this functionality could finally be included in Visual Studio.

• R T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft, incorporate Slow Cheetah in VS2014. We depend on this very heavily and losing this product will be a big headache. Support your developers!

• Tony U. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No Slow Cheetah support in VS 2014? The world will come to a screeching halt!

• Peter Bannister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also use Slow Cheetah for our development. This spans Desktop, Web and Azure builds.

Please bring this into standard VS as its an indispensable tool for any team.

• Alex Ries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does need to be added as a default feature especially since Slow Cheetah is currently not officially supporting new Visual Studio. It's an unobtrusive (from a user perspective) feature, that can easily be ignored if someone doesn't want it. It is however a very important feature not just for the lone wolf independent coder, but even more so for larger enterprise size customers the Visual Studio team has.

It would only be appropriate to add this feature in the near future, or come out with a Microsoft Supported add-on.

• Keri Parmeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use this in every single project my team writes. SlowCheetah is great, but I don't understand why this isn't already built in to Visual Studio. We have more than just websites that need to be configured on a per-environment basis. Please, please add this into Visual Studio - it seems like a no-brainer to me. Clearly it's a much-needed and much-requested feature. Thank you.

• Tim L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use Slow Cheetah for all our projects and will really miss it if it (or something providing equivalent config transform abilities) isn't part of VS2014. So pretty please make that happen.

• David F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that SlowCheetah will no longer be supported, it would be great if this functionality could finally be included in Visual Studio.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

• Andy K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

• Brian Reischl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since SlowCheetah support has been discontinued we really need to have this added to the core. Or make SlowCheetah a supported extension.

• Michael Levy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm really surprised that this functionality has not already been implemented for the service and executable project types. Considering the common SDLC workflow of moving an application from dev to test and then production along with the consistent use of the app.config, not having this feature creates a burden on the dev(ops) team.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is required in pretty much any project I have worked on in the past 10 years. We have had to use custom solutions until slowCheetah came about. Now it is time to implement this in VS as it should have been from the start.

• Ryan CrawCour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if I could give this more votes I would! config transforms are such a pain to work with (ESPECIALLY IN WEB PROJECTS). Slow Cheetah makes this easier. Without proper config transports CI, Dev, etc. become a nightmare.

• Daniel Hedenius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just like for many others here, SlowCheetah has been a crucial part of our CI environment for a long time now, making it possible for us to run many different environments. As so many before me have stated, this really should be integrated into Visual Studio.

Feedback and Knowledge Base