I suggest you ...

Fix 260 character file name length limitation

The 260 character limit on file paths really gets in the way of having a deeply-nested project hierarchy. It's only there as backwards compatibility with the old school APIs, and has no place in any sort of modern development environment.

We should be able to work with file paths of whatever size we want.

2,976 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steve LeighSteve Leigh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

315 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • William BosackerWilliam Bosacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Kub, on WIndows 10? It is very unlikely that support will ever be added to Windows 7 or earlier, and doubtful that they will add it to Windows 8. If it's not working on Windows 10, report it at Microsoft Connect.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's still not working with NET Framework 4.6.2 and Visual Studio Express 2013. How can i fix that problem right now?

@Steve as of the release of .NET Framework 4.6.2, all applications using it will have the ability to use it, if correctly configured to do so. However, it will take some time for applications to be patched/upgraded to support their use. The best guess is that by the end of 2016, those applications that are going to be patched, will be. All new applications should support log file paths out of the box, if they target:

- .NET Framework 4.6.2 or later.
        - .NET Core (any RTM version)
        - Use the Win32 API directly.

As for TFS 2013, it has already entered EOL, so you may be forced to upgrade to TFS 2015 in order to use long path names when it becomes available. Since Windows 7 (any version) and earlier, or Windows 2008 server (any version) or earlier, are all in the EOL phase, or already phased out. It is very unlikely that they will be updated to support long paths via the Windows UI, whereas the Windows 10 UI is currently being tested with long path name support.

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How would this work for say, building applications in TFS 2013? Would you some how be able to opt in by configuring the build agents to support long paths?

• RonaldRonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can use Long Path Tool if you are lazy and you want the software to do a the work instead

• Anthony RoganAnthony Rogan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Clickonce to deploy applications to my customers. With about 150 characters of Clickonce app directory prepended (see below), my application direcory name sizes suddenly become 110 characters limitation. Totally unacceptable Microsoft.

C:\Users\trogan\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\Data\T2ZRMJR9.NLH\7PD5737N.8OR\tote..tion_4d3d88550b152941_0002.0000_9553b152bc9440bf\Data

On the .NET VLOG for Thursday, June 23, 2016, it was announced that .NET Framework 4.6.2 has the ability to use long path names and the extended syntax. .NET Core has had this functionality since last fall (2015). They also go on to say that the Windows Team is working on the issue for Windows itself.

What does this mean? NTFS has supported long path names (up to ~32768 characters) since XP was first released, but only via the Win32API and by using extended path names. .NET was never given access to this, until now. Windows has always had access to this since XP, but never used it. I would guess that Windows will have full access to long paths before the end of 2016. Once you have .NET Framework 4.6.2 installed on a machine, PowerShell will immediately have access to long path names as well.

ENJOY!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have The Following Issue in VIsual Studio:

Error:

The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

Please Could Someone Help me to solve this issue.

Or Can Someone Suggest me a Idea to Increase the FIlepath legth from 260 to More than 350 or more as we Wish..Because My FileName is Of Length 245..

@Diogo, this site is out dated and stale. FYI, Microsoft has already fixed this issue in .NET Core, which released yesterday, and it should be fully supported by all products within a year. It took them less than 2 days to fix the issue, and your argument is a little silly, 36^255? REALLY?

• Diogo PaimDiogo Paim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with MS with this decision, threre're many other important things to do, and, let's just think... if you can't have more than 2^32 files in a NTFS File system, why would we need more than 36^255 possibilities of filenames?
        For the ones that are still trying to solve this, this workaround helped me:

create a C:\p directory to keep short links to long paths
        mklink /J C:\p\foo C:\Some\Crazy\Long\Path\foo
        add C:\p\foo to your path instead of the long path

• Brian HallBrian Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm seeing a theme across MS products here...

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/6325774-enable-long-file-paths-aka-file-name-too-long-p

Throw in the fact that there are also issues when dealing with NPM packages and you have a deep fundamental problem across pretty much the entire Microsoft product line. I predict that this problem will start to rear its ugly head more and more often across more and more products until it's actually fixed. I personally think this problem is indeed important enough to warrant the resources required to fix it. It's very disappointing to see this kind of approach to this issue.

• dandan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

weird, I'm dealing with this now, trying to make it work on TFS Build Server.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Declined - Visual Studio UV Site Admin" 2013 -- Unbelievable answer!!

Currently, one of my tfvc 2013 repositories has several files with paths so long they don't show in any repository browser I use. I only see it in the errors that prevent building as a path too long error. This is unacceptable. Apparently you haven't found a way to deal with this internally, as my issue should never have been released with the TFVC product.

The VS product chain costs a lot of money and this issue has been around for a long time. As a release engineer I have to resolve this issue over and over again. I need improvements that make spending that money worthwhile.

• JimJim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, well, I want to vote for this. Can you please re-open it or should we create a brand new suggestion?

• Stijn SpijkerStijn Spijker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be fixed ASAP, as 255 characters is DOS era, and I'd like to think Microsoft has moved on since then.

• mdgrkbmdgrkb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really disappointing this issue being declined. You should at least consider providing an alternate mechanism that modern apps can invoke, and leave the old compatibility for older apps.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base