I suggest you ...

Make Solutions Load Faster

Larger solutions can take a long time to load. Make it faster, so I can get started on my work right away.

1,393 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Doug Turnure - msftDoug Turnure - msft shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Edit 4/14
      Thanks everyone for the great response! All the sessions today have filled up, but if you want to want to share your Solution load thoughts or feedback with us in the future please leave your contact info here: http://www.instant.ly/s/9hhdn

Hello Everyone,

I’m Will Buik, a Technical Product Manager on Visual Studio’s IDE team. We are reaching out to some of our developers to get feedback on performance pain points. One of the complaints we hear is that Solutions take too long to load. Since you voted on the “Make Solutions Load Faster” UserVoice item, we thought you might be interested in talking with us about it.

We’re considering alternatives to how we load Solutions in an effort to improve that experience. Since many of you have had experience with slow Solution loads, you might be able to help us make sure we are heading in the right direction.

If you have personally experienced poor load performance I’d like to schedule a call with you to discuss further. It shouldn’t take much more than 25 minutes. If you have time this Thursday (4/14) feel free to just grab a session on Calendly – https://calendly.com/willbuik/feedback-session.

We will be iterating on this, so if you’re busy on Thursday, we would be happy to reach out to you another time. Just leave your contact info here (http://www.instant.ly/s/9hhdn) and we will be in touch.

Hope to hear from some of you soon!

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mikemike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm voting this down. The time that a normal developer spends on solution loads is very small. Normally, you just leave open all solutions that you need. At the end of the work day you put the PC to sleep so that it resumes the next day.

The team should spend their time elsewhere.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Changing branches is very annoying, also large solutions use tons of memory so I find I have to close that VS instance if opening another copy of VS. Then I'll have to reload it after closing the 2nd instance, huge time waster.

• Jason K. CarterJason K. Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is incredibly frustrating in a Git-style branch-per-feature environment, where every branch change requires a solution/project reload. I'm using VS2013 with an 85k iops SSD, 16GB ram and overclocked i5 2500k. Windows 8.1 Pro with all updates installed. There doesn't appear to be a hardware performance bottleneck looking at Resource Monitor during a project load.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

double click the solution file, go make a coffee in the meantime and it'll all be ready to rock'n'roll :-)

• jeffpiersonjeffpierson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tend to load a solution once ever few weeks. I'm all up for improving the load time but for my own use I can't justify voting for this over some of the other issues.

Feedback and Knowledge Base