I suggest you ...

Ask before moving files in Solution Explorer tree.

Accidentally moving files to random directory really annoys.

1,306 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew KAndrew K shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

58 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DragDrop MustDieDragDrop MustDie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please outright disable this feature - I guarantee it fails more times than it succeeds. Listen to your users!

• Sean BintleySean Bintley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or an undo option - I don't want to be hassled by a confirmation but at the same time the safety net of undoing an accidental operation would suffice

• IcIc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can we have atleast undo move so it resets back to original?

• Chris McGrathChris McGrath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get what Dan K is saying, but I would take the opposite view and say that it should be barely more than a "Are you sure?" Dialog. It gets the job done, it's simple and clear and it can be implemented quickly freeing up for development time for other things.

With that said, I think a few simple changes could be made to significantly improve the proposed design...
        Use OK Cancel - Cancel is a clear word that lets me know that when I press it I will return to the previous state unchanged. In this case if I hit "No" but "Always ask" is un-ticked, will this dialog show up again? Cancel makes it clear that it will.

The title is completely wasted, change it to "Move Files"

The message is unnecessarily complex. I would recommend...
        "Move {count} files?"

Source: {Project}\{Folder}
        Destination: {Project}\{Folder}"

Also thanks for the opt-out option!

• Dan KDan K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The confirmation message box proposed in the survey is barely the absolutely minimum acceptable solution. About as helpful as the MS-DOS delete directory "Are you sure?" message.

If you do make it a pop-up dialog, then at least show what files are going to be moved, where they are being moved from, and where they will be moved to.

Other things that would make this better:
        * In the UI, show what files got moved from where and to where. Make this a scrollable history, not just some pop-up that goes away once you click it.
        * Make the move undo-able. That way, once you see what happened, you can easily reverse it. (I don't recall whether Undo already works, but unless you know *that* you moved something and *what* you moved, Undo by itself isn't enough.)

Also:
        * Reduce the sensitivity of the drag-and-drop. It's just too easy to do by accident.
        * I like the Idea from Anonymous of having an option to be able to just turn drag-and-drop off. In fact, make it a button on the Solution Explorer's toolbar, so that you can click to turn it on, do the drag-and-drop, and then click to turn it off.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it can't be done nicely, I'd be happy to just do without drag and drop in the solution explorer. The few seconds of efficiency accumulated over a month are offset by the minutes of waiting caused by one accident.

• Adam J. SyczAdam J. Sycz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on this. Drag-n-Drop is great and all but those accidental drag moves can really ruin my day sometimes. Ability to either a) lock file b) have alert banner with Undo action or c) prompt window popup (probably least desired but I'd take it to save my time and sanity).

• NormaNorma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Por favor, hagan que se pida confirmación cuando se mueven carpetas/archivos a otras carpetas. Se pierde mucho tiempo re ordenando cuando sucede por accidente, si es que uno se da cuenta.
        Saludos!

• Simon WeaverSimon Weaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess democracy doesn't work after all.

Fortunately it was ONLY my ENTIRE MVC 'Areas' folder that got moved and had to be renamed in TFS too. And only took 20 minutes to undo

• Simon WeaverSimon Weaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1050 votes? Isn't that a lot of votes - I can't stand how this isn't fixed. Especially with source control it's a nightmare. One accidental drag takes an hour to fix. I want to smash stuff now.

• David JankeDavid Janke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the drag-and-drop feature seems like an unnecessary optimization.

what exactly is the use case for drag-and-drop moves in Solution Explorer, anyway? Who frequently moving around so many files that they need a fast UI (i.e. where menu-drive move causes too much overhead)?

if you are moving files in your solution so often that you *need* drag-and-drop… I think you are doing something fundamentally wrong in your dev process

• devuxerdevuxer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer just having a colored banner appear at the top of the Solution Explorer after files are moved that says "5 files were moved. [Undo] [X]". This same technique could be used for other potentially destructive actions too, such as deleting files. This is a proven technique used in GMail and other successful user interfaces. It is not disruptive to the user's workflow -- if you intended to move the files, you just keep on going, and if you didn't, you click Undo. If the banner annoys you, you can close it.

The problem with a lock/unlock mode switch is that it will introduce "mode errors", which is when a user forgets which mode they're in ("Oh no, I forgot to put it in lock mode and now I don't know which file I just moved" or "Why aren't these files moving when I drag them?"). Also, there are enough small icons in the Solution Explorer as it is, adding more would not be helpful.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base