I suggest you ...

Fix it so that .NET apps can access HTTP thru authenticating proxy server by default

If you run a .NET app that needs to talk to the web, and you're behind an authenticating proxy server, then that app will fail to talk to the web.

Internet Explorer and Google Chrome work, Visual Studio and loads of other Microsoft apps will work. They can all talk to the web. But every .NET-based app or website I've ever seen will fail.

The implications of this are profound. I've seen umpteen forum posts over the years where people are scratching their heads, wondering what's wrong. I've seen IT guys re-route their users thru special-case connections to the web, because the user has to access some web functionality.

I've installed a piece of software that needs to authenticate a license key over the web... only to fail. And then you have to call their support lines.

I've seen Umbraco and Orchard CMS users fail to access the online galleries of themes and widgets. No-one - developers, users, IT guys - have a clue what's wrong or how to fix it.

Even Microsoft's .NET apps fail: if I try to run WCF's svcutil.exe on a remote service, it will fail... because I'm behind an authenticating proxy server.

And yet the fix is so simple. Simple, but no-one knows about it... no-one! Take a look at this StackOverflow question:-

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/299940/how-should-i-set-the-default-proxy-to-use-default-credentials

The simple, simple fix is to add this to your .NET app's app/web config file:-
<system.net>
<defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true" />
</system.net>

But since no-one knows about this, let's end the years of confusion and have .NET 4.5 change the default value of useDefaultCredentials from false to true. Problem solved, and everyone can get on with their lives.

If Internet Explorer "just works", why can't .NET-build apps "just work"?

And for a better-argued case, see here:-
http://sticklebackplastic.com/post/2007/01/26/Poxy-proxies.aspx

Thank you.

768 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew Webb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      ← Previous 1