I suggest you ...

Bring Back the Visual Studio Installation Customization Options

We'd like to have all of the options back to customize Visual Studio. We'd probably like to have more granular installation customization, but at the very least, let us customize the installation.

864 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jason Gaylord shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

65 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One last thing and I'm out of here: yesterday I downloaded the piece of garbage you call "microsoft visual studio enterprise 2015": 9.5 GB of junk. Ok, no problem I said, I can afford the extra time and bandwidth required, as some day I "might" need something from that huge garbage collection. But then I tried to install C# from the garbage heap...and what did I see? There was NO option to install just C# or C++ or VB from it. You had to fill your disk with ALL that stupid junk just to make a **** form application in C#!? Idiots, even since Windows 3.1 some people at microsoft (clearly smarter than the actual bunch) invented customized setups! Go ask them if you don't know how to do it! Why can't you do the same? What's the big challenge for you in all this?

John Montgomery (Microsoft): So, if only 10% of the users ...customized their installation (which I profoundly doubt), the way to go was to completely remove customization options from your already bloated software? Pal, you ALREADY HAD a good piece of software before, which ALLOWED customization and was well suited and appreciated BY EVERYONE! Why not BUILD ON THAT and just make it better instead of just adding garbage and removing all good stuff? Sorry, but this..philosophy of yours is the most ****** thing one could come up with. My humble opinion, after all those recent years in which I saw the constant involution of your operating sistem and other software is that there is no other solution: you and your whole team should all go and resign, go farming or something, stop any software related activities because YOU SUCK AT IT. Just STOP ruining every piece of good software you encounter!

Seems Microsoft wants to get us back to bronze age with the "new" and "improved" software they are making. Windows 10, visual studio, Office... all went from being small, fast, optimized, user friendly computer programs to big piles of garbage, less user friendly than an enraged gorilla, with user interfaces designed exclusively for autistic people or something, with forced updates and forced "cloud based" "experience improvement programs" (read USER SPYING at all cost). And the sadest thing is that this disease is sprading to others..recently I installed nvidia's geforce experience software. FIRST THING that I noticed it was that they replaced the good old file browser with a "windows10 style" one... The result: just to get back to c: from the default folder it took me TEN MOUSE CLICKS. Uninstalled the piece of garbage immediately. What the **** is wrong with you people????

• james dingle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I removed all checks from the installation of visual studio enterprise with update 3 (downloaded at 8am on 9/18/16) and it is installing sql server express 2014, vc++ and accompanying libraries, tsf, office tools, language packs, azure mobile services and sdks, espc paks, directx sdks...
        If this is what customizing your installation means, i guess I am not in the correct universe....

No Mr. Doug Turnure. There is STILL NOT CUSTOMIZATION. You are installing every language pack, every C++ redistribution for people that don't program in C++ anymore and everything else. Are you people insane?

• Anthony Vanover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"We’ve added customization back in to the installation, so I’m going to close this item out."

Yeah, you've added tens of gigabytes of customization... Who in their right mind on the Visual Studio team thought that I would need .NET language packs by default?

• sayth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will this happen as I installed 2015 community and got no options and the whole kitchen sink. I came here to post this exact idea.

• Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I once heard this saying: "A missing option is a bug." Win10 is a bug, because there are missing many more options in the startmenue. But this is another story.

I don't need SQL Server. But why do I have to install it????

Can't believe there's no customization in the installer. What were they thinking !?

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over 3GB for the Express Version with tons of added stuff and interdependencies that easily break and cannot be fully removed from your system! This is not the stuff for hobby or first-time programmers. Microsoft, what were you thinking?! Once Studio's footprint returns to <1GB, I'll give it another go.

This was one of the dumbest ideas Microsoft has come up with! Don't make me install what I don't need, use, nor what! Now I got all this extra cramp...WTF.

• Helaba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, but if only 10% use customized install, this is enough reason to offer that!
        Especially business installations need to limit vs installs

• Roland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I downloaded VS 2012 Express and tried to install. After 20 minutes, I cancelled the installation. I actually just wanted to install VC++ and I don't care about C#, VB, SQL and so on. Later, I run a VC++ 2008 Express Installation and it is installed within 5 minutes. Even VC++ 2010 Express installation also can be installed within 8 minutes.
        It is really take too long to install VS 2012 Express. The first impression is not really that good. I don't even want to install it.

• Heath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only responses from the VS team on language options have been fairly evasive. I believe this points to a decision made from on high by non-technical folks. If there were a good, technical requirement for it they would make it plainly known.

This to me is very similar to the conversation involving "ALL CAPS" menus (that doens't bug me at all, incidentally) where we get some hand-waving explanation in a blog post while others find usability studies conducted by Microsoft that show the opposite of the information being presented.

See also: The fact that Visual Studio Express for Desktop is even a thing. What reason is there for not planning for something like this beginning? There has been no technical reason made available.

I really love the tools Microsoft is making, but the total lack of transparency on some of the most puzzling decisions is really worrying to me for future projects and tools. I've heard horror stories about the management/decision structure in Redmond and I feel like a lot of what I pointed out above is just the tip of the iceberg that we are getting to see.

Why would options (languages, SQL Server, etc.) that worked fine in VS 2010 even be removed or touched in the first place?? I know forcing VS to have a Metro look was mandated from on high, was forcing all languages to be installed also mandated??

• Pent Ploompuu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The customization options in the RC are not even close to VS 2010. With all checkboxes unchecked, it still installs some 22 programs of which maybe 4 or 5 are actually required (can't know for sure, cause the names are very cryptic). And then there are all these VS components that I've not asked for like VC, VB.NET, F#, dotfuscator...

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base