I suggest you ...

Bring back Macros

I am amazed you've decided to remove Macros from Visual Studio. Not only are they useful for general programming, but they're a great way to be introduced to the Visual Studio APIs.

If you are unwilling to put in the development time towards them, please release the source code and let the community maintain it as an extension.

6,002 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cpmcgrathcpmcgrath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: I really liked the record and play macro functions in VS 2010, will that ever be added back?  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Reactivate the editor macro feature  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Keyboard macros.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Macros on debugging  ·   · 
    Todd CarterTodd Carter shared a merged idea: Bring Back Macro Support in VS 2012  ·   · 
    WaldyrWaldyr shared a merged idea: Bring back the Macros support on Visual Studio  ·   · 

We’ve heard your feedback loud and clear, and we’ve been working on a solution. We’re therefore very happy to announce that we’ve now released a version of Macros that supports both Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2013.

While we were at it, we took the opportunity to fix a couple of bugs and improved the keyboard shortcuts.
    We hope you enjoy it.

For more information, see the blog post here: http://aka.ms/vsmacros

We’ve also open-sourced the code under the MIT license. If you have any suggestions or contributions, feel free to create an issue or a pull request in the new GitHub repo: http://github.com/Microsoft/VS-Macros

Justin Clareburt
    Senior Program Manager
    Visual Studio Extensibility Team

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • BakraBakra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is what I'm talking about !! The title CLEARLY STATES:"Bring back Macros".

But noo....some person over at microsoft (probably some nine-to-five-with-kids types or a desperate-to-please H1B or a Google reject) sees this as a golden opportunity to polish his resume.

In he comes knowing nothing about the original macro feature. The original feature that could do so many things (eg. change the title bar's text etc. etc.), for him, is equal to this mere bagatelle he is forcing on us.

Devil is in the details...this can't be repeated enough times in today's society.

• FrankFrank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Macro with Javascript is simply ridiculous! So we're back in 1980 or what? Why can't you just leave an extremely excellent programming model like VB.NET in VS 2010 as it is?? So that developers can take over their macros to VS 2015 and simply continue their work. Never ever will I give up my VS 2010 and consider VS 2015 as an appropriate successor. No chance! Not acceptable at all!

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent start! Now let me put them on my toolbar with a custom icon, and we'll finally be back to 2008 functionality! :)

• PJTraillPJTraill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So it took 4 years, 2 months to put back a less integrated form of what should never have gone missing. I feel underwhelmed.

• Roy TinkerRoy Tinker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion, a suitable macro language for Visual Studio would be:
        - Low-ceremony: a viable script could be written on a single line
        - Dynamic and interpreted
        - An otherwise powerful general-purpose programming language with powerful abstractions
        - Able to easily use .NET libraries
        - Fast

What about Lua? I think lua scripting in Visual Studio would be a very exciting announcement.

• GeorgeGeorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with original post. Since macros were removed I ALWAYS install extension "Text Macros for Visual Studio".

• SagianSagian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cathy Sullivan, please update the community as to when we can expect progress on this.

Five months we've been waiting.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes.. The macros do not save all the actions. Lets imagine that I want to save a macro than includes searching for an specific word, substituting it, etc... If I save the macro and execute it it wont repeat the action to search the next instance of the word, just the typing.

• SAMSAM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Macros aren't used often, but when you are creating or updating large volumes of code, they save HOURS and HOURS of tedious work.

Please bring back as a built in feature!

• SagianSagian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been nearly four months since the survey and still no indication of intent. I'm pretty certain that 100% of the surveys want macros back and I'm also pretty sure that most of them would like to see it open-sourced.

It's seeming more and more like the survey was a waste of time.

• Jeff RelfJeff Relf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@DanKonigsbach called macros:
        " an essential feature for a modern programming editor ".

However, that's been true ever since 1983, 33 years ago.
        Word has macros, as does Excel.

My C# macros, to automate Visual Studio 2015:

• Dan KDan K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Visual Studio Gallery extension *was* an intriguing first step towards something useful; a prototype, a chance to try out an idea and provide feedback.

The fact that there have been no updates since it was first released over a year ago, and the fact that (according to comments) it apparently doesn't work with Visual Studio 2015, suggests that was just a dump-and-run release, not something in which Microsoft is interested investing or improving.

It is not an adequate response to the over 5800 votes and 640 comments (to date) asking, begging, to restore an essential feature for a modern programming editor.

• Mike VasiljevsMike Vasiljevs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to have python `macros` instead of visual basic ones. But yes, some automation is needed.

• Tim PhoenixTim Phoenix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Douglas Holt - I also had the same problem when using Firefox. I then switched to IE and pasted in all the same answers and checked all the same boxes and got a similar error that the survey was not complete. I scrolled up to see a red error message that had not been visible in Firefox.

The survey requires you to check a box for each of the four listed VS versions concerning if you currently use, used in the past, or never used.

Not very user friendly, but otherwise we wouldn't even be here, would we?

• Douglas HoltDouglas Holt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just completed the "Visual Studio Macros Survey" and after an hour of writing detailed answers, I tried to submit the survey, and I get "Cannot navigate forward. Interview status is not completed.". Yes, I've checked that every element of the survey had been filled in, several times, and even re-checked each option and ensured there was text in every box. No luck. Frustrating!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 32 33

Feedback and Knowledge Base