I suggest you ...

Support multiple rows of document tabs

It would be really nice if the IDE allowed multiple rows of document tabs. Currently, I'm using the "Tabs Studio" add-in for this (http://www.tabsstudio.com). See here for an example: http://www.tabsstudio.com/documentation/addins/several-tabs-highlighted-with-the-default-style.png

3,415 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rob SiklosRob Siklos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for raising and voting for this suggestion.

We’re currently reviewing the suggestion for a potential future release, and would like to gain a better understanding of the problems you’re seeing which you would like to see solved.

Based on the various responses to this item, the following needs/desires are mentioned:

1. A need to be able to organize tabs in your own way when they are open, so that you can (for instance) have a set of “pinned” / “important files” that you’re regularly working on, and a set of others that you may only have opened transiently; an ability to easily move items between these groups.

2. A need to group strongly related files (like “code behind” files and their parent markup files for instance) together automatically in the tabs

3. A need to easily distinguish “file-sets” when many files are open (e.g. with color or other treatments)

We have some follow up questions we’d love to hear from anyone who has voted for this item about:

A. Would simply allowing multiple rows in the tab strip so you can have more “sets” using the existing Visual Studio 2015 pinning capabilities be useful in and of itself?

B. Would you need to be able to dynamically control the maximum number of rows that can be viewed at once?

C. Would you typically have one “tab-set” per solution you opened, or do these sets change when you change task?

Please drop me an email at mwthomas at Microsoft dot com if you are willing to chat further about your needs in this area.

Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • CornanCornan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i) I use portrait monitors for coding and run out of tab space quickly. Multiple rows worked great in the VS Power Tools for VS2010 but didn't get rolled in to VS2012.

ii) Also, the active tab is very low contrast as compared to inactive tabs - I'd like the tab for the active text window to be high contrast (separate colors) with any of the inactive tabs.

• Simon MorganSimon Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can have two rows, by Pinning Tabs to stay open.
        You have to change the setting in TOOLS>OPTIONS>ENVIRONMENT>TABS AND WINDOWS - to Show Pinned Tabs on a Separate Row.

not quite ideal, but does allow at least 2 rows of tabs, and arrangement of tabs on each row with Click and Drag for the TAB headers

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The column thing didn't work--let me try again:

Tab1 | Tab2.....................Tab7 | Tab8.................Tab12
        Tab3 | Tab4 | Tab 5
        Tab6................................Tab9 | Tab10 | Tab11

A) Yes, absolutely
        B) No. I see this as more of a manual grouping so there does not need to be a setting anywhere; If I say to move a tab up to the next row, VS adds a row regardless of how many we already have.
        C) One set per solution

Bonus: being able to further group tabs would still be nice. A simple way to do this would be right-clicking on the tab and manually designating a color. An even better way (and you *could* do both) would be to define boundaries in the document well to group tabs into columns (or you could think of it as boxes). Below is an example of how "tab columns" may appear (assuming the formatting is not changed once I post):

Tab1 | Tab2 Tab7 | Tab8 Tab12
        Tab3 | Tab4 | Tab 5
        Tab6 Tab9 | Tab10 | Tab11

The most important thing is that we need to be able to have manual control over how these groupings are defined. I see value in being able to set up rules to automatically group tabs, but I want to be able to manually override any automatic groupings and put things where they make sense in my own twisted mind at that particular moment.
        In that same vein, note that the columns don't just appear because of space optimization--they are the result of me explicitly requesting a new column. The boundaries between columns could be fixed or elastic based on content, but I'm the one who decides what goes where.

• Igor AbakumovIgor Abakumov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A. yes, even this it would be useful especially for big solutions with many projects.
        B. well, i think it is enough to set the max row count in preferences, and after that start to do some vertical tab row scrolling (is this the dynamic you have mentioned?).
        C. one tab set per solution.

• Zingam of'ErkhenrangZingam of'Erkhenrang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Automatically grouping multiple related tabs into a single tab (+ a separate row or something for the grouped tabs) like .h and .cpp files (we can have multiple .cpp for a single .h file sometimes) and the ability to switch between the .h/.cpp with a single F4 button.

• Derek MorrisonDerek Morrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest thing for me I think is to have tabs in VS behave like browser tabs. That metaphor seems to have taken hold. This means not auto-hiding tabs in a confusing list (though, I realize you'd have to deal with people who leave tons of tabs open) and also modifying the default key bindings where Ctrl-Tab / Ctrl-Shift-Tab work like for browser tabs.

• Waldemar HaszlakiewiczWaldemar Haszlakiewicz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes having an arbitrary number of tabs rows would be wonderful.

You can go multiple ways to do this:
        1. Add an option to create multiple pinned rows -> if user enabled the support for pinned rows and user pinned the first item all the pinned tab rows would show (even the empty ones). In this way user could drag and drop tabs between the pinned rows and select the item tab level he/she wants.
        2. Add fixed number of rows and that is it (showing the empty rows too) -> user would define how many tab rows it wants and he/she could drag and drop between them.
        3. Instead of the Pin tab option you could have 'Rise/Lower tab level' and with that you could show only the rows that have any tabs on it and the tab would have its own level ("tab row"). With this you could have left mouse down + up/down mouse movement is level change or double click "unpin it".

Multiple tab rows is really important feature specially now that native resolution 4k monitors are available and desktop space is not a problem anymore.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm waiting this feature a lot of time.
        They were so useful in Delphi IDE

• Ian ThomasIan Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "Show pinned tabs in separate row" option actually uses as many rows as it needs. I find this provides the best of both worlds - I might have two rows of pinned tabs with my important documents, then a third row with my unpinned tabs (which might be many more documents)

• S. WrightS. Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see a vertical tab well that can be moved around and docked the way the solution explorer can. Tabs Studio has this functionality but it doesn't have the auto-randomized coloring of tabs, which is a really nice feature.

• Serge PopulovSerge Populov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is some trade off in VS 2013:
        Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Tabs and Windows -> Show pinned tabs in separate row

But I'd preffer to have fair mutiline tabs option.

I've tried "Tabs Studio" and it's pretty good, but has its own set of limitations.

I'd love to see VS allow us to define the number tab rows. In 2013 we can pin the tabs and thus get 2 rows, but why stop at 2? I'd like to organize my tabs by grouping similar ones in their own rows. In my current project, I'd like 5 rows with between 1 and 8 tabs per row and I would like to drag and drop them to have them in the order I want.

• CornanCornan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement a variable number of tab rows.

Productivity Power Tools for VS2010 had two tab rows and this made a tremendous difference because I use an HPw2408h monitor in portrait mode exclusively.

One of the benefits was that my pinned tabs stayed on the top row, while my un-pinned tabs went to a second row.

Portrait mode is GREAT for viewing code, but it means that one row of the horizontal tab row is too short, and the vertical tabs are "totally" inappropriate (try them on a portrait monitor if you don't believe me!).

My preference would be to let the user set a maximum number of tab rows, and if the user chooses two or more, switching to at least two rows whenever pinned tabs are present.

• Dan LudwigDan Ludwig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I asked Amy Hartwig about this @vslive vegas, and was told it was already here as a feedback item. Would like to see the multi-row feature added too. I remember it was part of the productivity power tools, and though many of those features are making it into the vs 11 package, this one seems to have been left behind. I too want to see the document/tab well move to multiple rows when overflowed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base