I suggest you ...

Provide an option to save Visual Studio Settings on SkyDrive

In Visual Studio we have the possibility to share our settings via a network drive. The only problem is, that if you do not have a home server, you need to synchronize the settings by yourself via i.e. USB Dtick between your work-PC, home-PC and notebook. It would be great, if we'd get a possibility to save the settings on SkyDrive, to allow all VS instances on each computer we use, to use the same settings.

75 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Maciej GlowienkaMaciej Glowienka shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion. In Visual Studio 2013 you can now sign in with your Microsoft ID to automatically synchronize settings across your devices as well as get all your account and licensing information within the IDE. Check out the blog post on Synchronized Settings (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2013/07/03/the-story-of-synchronized-settings.aspx) and the MSDN documentation for Synchronized Settings (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/dn135229(v=vs.120).aspx) to learn more.

Visual Studio IDE Team

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brandon HBrandon H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FWIW The VSCommands extension does this even more wholesale. Point the folder for syncing at a Skydrive folder and boom - done.

• Mateusz SidorskiMateusz Sidorski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to if code snippets that I create in one instance of vistual studio, would be immediately available on all my computers. the same with "Enviornment" settings (Fonts, colors, keyboard).

• Jamie ThomsonJamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll repeat what i said here: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3134824-enable-us-to-sync-our-application-settings-via-sky (which is basically a duplicate request)

I came here to ask for exactly this and am delighted that someone has already asked for it.
        Personally I don't care whether Visual Studio settings are synced to SkyDrive, a cloud service that is invisible to me, or wherever; I simply want to install VS somewhere new and have instant access to my code snippets, extensions, options etc... Basically everything that can be set in Tools->Options should (optionally) be roamed to wherever I have Visual Studio installed.

Moreover, I want to open a project on a different machine and instantly have the same files opened as I had open on my previous machine.

I want to have the same panes open/docked/floating the last time I logged into an instance of VS.

you get the idea...

Office is already going in this direction (e.g. in Word 2013 I can open a document on a different device and instantly open it to the point at which I was last at) - please don't get left behind by Office of all folks!!! :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base