I suggest you ...

Change All CAPS Menu in VS 2012 to VS Beta format File Edit Instead of FILE EDIT

Change All CAPS Menu in VS RC to VS Beta format File Edit Instead of FILE EDIT. Ref (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/05/08/visual-studio-11-user-interface-updates-coming-in-rc.aspx )

3,037 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
suresh2 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you everyone for voting and commenting on this issue.
We are happy to share that we have made changes to the Menu Bar style in Visual Studio. In Visual Studio “14” CTP2 Menu Bar shows in Title Case and in Visual Studio 2013 Update 3 RC we have added a tools options control for you to pick Title Case styling or All Caps styling for the Menu Bar. Please refer to the following announcements for details –
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/07/08/visual-studio-14-ctp-2-available.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/07/02/update-3-release-candidate-for-visual-studio-2013.aspx
If you are using Visual Studio 2012, you can change the Menu Bar style using this regkey –
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\General
DWORD: SuppressUppercaseConversion
Value: 1

Visual Studio UX Team
-————————————————————————

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented on this issue. Keeping with a Microsoft-wide emphasis on typography and casing as a key structure-defining element, we are retaining all caps casing as our default within the Visual Studio top level menu bar. However, you are welcome to override all caps if you choose, using the registry setting and related Visual Studio Extensions, which we will continue to support.

Visual Studio UX Team

112 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a tablet. This is not a tool for computer newbs. This is not running on a phone. Stop yelling at me in all caps. Do you write you code in all caps? It is ****** to read and provides less "shape" to help quickly scan for and finding what I'm looking for.

• Smbody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Generally, I think the C++/MFC project settings/ UI controls / classes need some reviewing...
    WPF projects don't have so many problems (or not at all).
    Why don't you care about native C++ too???

• clively commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@gerdi:
    "developers care more about an IDE's interface ( which structurally is not that different to 2010) then the technology running the system"

We've reached a point in the technological level of our tools and processes that the vast majority of coding problems have been solved. Any more we are simply implementing already proven solutions to common problems. Quite frankly, the extensions to the core .net languages present in 4.5 are unnecessary and don't appreciably move the product forward. Because of this, VS2012 is actually an unnecessary upgrade.

This particular item, along with the color issue, should be a bellwether to MS that changing the interface for it's own sake is no longer an acceptable approach for a new version. There are a tremendous number of people whose livelihood is interrupted whenever they are forced to deal with a new UI. This might seem trivial to you, but when you have grown accustomed to a way of working over a period of years, any change to that must have an honest purpose or it is met with severe resistance.

Moving from Camel Case to ALL CAPS is a change that has no bearing on how we work with the machine and as such is simply a change for it's own purpose. This isn't acceptable.

Looking beyond the desktop, Apples UI on the iPhone was an actual revolution. The previous mechanisms for working with phones were incredibly difficult. The iPhone not only changed how people interact with phones but via the other software (iTunes) actually made it useful. Simple example: no more pressing "5" three times to get an L to display.

Contrast that with MS's UI change. We still use a keyboard and mouse. We still go through various layers of menus to get to the features we want. In short, the UI change didn't actually change how we interact with the machine; instead it just reorganized things into a slightly different view. This is no longer acceptable.

What you are witnessing is some of the blowback from a very bad idea. Now, just imagine if Win8 gets rolled out across a medium or large sized organization. IT departments will be skewered.

• ThomasX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@gerdi:

The interface is important because we are interacting with it every day. We are making useful contributions all the time. Lately, Microsoft seems to be hellbent to prove its own customers wrong.
    Why is the setting controlling the casing hidden in the registry? Why is it not accessible via Extras->Options?

• Michael Paterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are several other similar ideas on the same topic. I think your ideas would be better used voting for those ideas.

• gerdi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I vote this down , and vote up the pedantic uselessness of this post. This current implementation of caps is in line with current linguistic constructs. For all of you who keep incorrectly using personification to describe the menu as shouting to them, please bare in mind that these items are headers and not sentences.

"All caps is usually used for emphasis"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_caps

Please ppl get on with coding and actual development issues in the new framework. This is just plain stupid, if you want to be all **** about letters go become a hipster designer somewhere and talk about Helvetica all day while trying to figure out if xcode is an IDE or a glorified mp3 player.

"they screwed up everything on this release. i am boycotting VS2012 until they get some sense."

seriously this is madness .. this is either serious trolling or I have entered into some weird twilight zone where developers care more about an IDE's interface ( which structurally is not that different to 2010) then the technology running the system. All of you designers / developers please go download snoop => look at the code building this IDE and make some useful contributions to the development platform. You all making yourselves look like angry little n00bs.

• Rick C. Hodgin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am guessing the developers who make Visual Studio at Microsoft are having cases of paper towel rolls sent to their cubicles -- so they can remove all the egg from their faces, something which (along with the Metro design team) is undoubtedly a 2+ hour affair each day. :-(

• ITMAGE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The option for Proper Case has already been completed - see here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zainnab/archive/2012/06/14/turn-off-the-uppercase-menu-in-visual-studio-2012.aspx

So we got the the theme editor and the caps issue resolved. The next hurdle is to get the VS2010 icons back. It'd also be nice to get back the original VS2010 chrome and have it respect the Windows theme setting like Aero.

Tom

• Janie Pumphrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can change the capitalization back to normal with these steps:

1. Close Visual Studio

2. Launch regedit and navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\General

3. Create a DWORD value named SuppressUppercaseConversion with value 1.

• Tim Eicher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think the caps would bug me so much except that it contradicts the CamelCase naming conventions used *everywhere* else.

Also, what is gained by switching to caps? I understand the need to make changes for improvements, but I don't what the gains are by using all caps.

• G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Worst idea ever... bad, bad design... what are they thinking?

• Janie Pumphrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People who use Visual Studio 8 hours a day already know where the menu is...it's at the top of the screen (duh). It's distracting and unnecessary to emphasize the main menu.

But if you really feel the need to emphasize it anyway, just use a slightly different background color instead of all caps.Text in all caps looks stressful and urgent. Developers have enough deadline stress already...don't add this artificial "false alarm" stress on top of it.

• Ray Lin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ALL CAPS means either "get angry" or emphasize". Do we need to emphasize menu titles? Why not all lowercase in the menu titles?

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm going to be recommending apache servers over IIS to punish MS for their bull****. Apologize and stop this nonsense.

• george h commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

they screwed up everything on this release. i am boycotting VS2012 until they get some sense.

Feedback and Knowledge Base