I suggest you ...

Change All CAPS Menu in VS 2012 to VS Beta format File Edit Instead of FILE EDIT

Change All CAPS Menu in VS RC to VS Beta format File Edit Instead of FILE EDIT. Ref (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/05/08/visual-studio-11-user-interface-updates-coming-in-rc.aspx )

3,037 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
suresh2 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you everyone for voting and commenting on this issue.
We are happy to share that we have made changes to the Menu Bar style in Visual Studio. In Visual Studio “14” CTP2 Menu Bar shows in Title Case and in Visual Studio 2013 Update 3 RC we have added a tools options control for you to pick Title Case styling or All Caps styling for the Menu Bar. Please refer to the following announcements for details –
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/07/08/visual-studio-14-ctp-2-available.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/07/02/update-3-release-candidate-for-visual-studio-2013.aspx
If you are using Visual Studio 2012, you can change the Menu Bar style using this regkey –
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\General
DWORD: SuppressUppercaseConversion
Value: 1

Visual Studio UX Team
-————————————————————————

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented on this issue. Keeping with a Microsoft-wide emphasis on typography and casing as a key structure-defining element, we are retaining all caps casing as our default within the Visual Studio top level menu bar. However, you are welcome to override all caps if you choose, using the registry setting and related Visual Studio Extensions, which we will continue to support.

Visual Studio UX Team

112 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Davide Dolla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like it just the way it is.
    if there was the possibility to vote against, we could have a right view about the idea.
    And it's a very poor question.

I suggest to all to try the dark layout ... it's great

• OZone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, enhance typography in WPF and HIRE a designer with typographic background!

Joe, one more time: it's not much like uppercase, but all lowercase typed with fonts designed for this purpose. And we introduce capitals to be like anchors when we scan by paragraphs or sentences. If you want menus to be the all the same case, ok - introduce bold contrast font and write them ALL-LOWERCASE.

It is 2000+ that voted. Take a multiplier for those who agree, but not voted. And for those who does not know about the voting at all. Is at a majority or minority? From everyone I know, it is not a majority or minority - it is 100%!

• drweb86 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Lon> Is this really an issue for some people? Apparently yes ... for over 2k of them. Sheesh!
    Is 2k is minority or majority? I think its much more Visual Studio developers then 2k.

• Joe Scala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is documented scholarly research showing that all caps is difficult to read. In fact, many cities and states around the country are replacing all of their highway and street signs to typical capitalization to improve readability and safety. This is such a simple thing, I don't know how the UX people at Microsoft can overlook this. Please change it back to normal.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem it is not ALL-CAPS. ALL-CAPS is their solution for bad initial UI design decisions that now can't be changed.
    This article sums it up really well:
    http://gimbal-lock-blog.blogspot.com.es/2012/06/vs-2012-gui-snafu.html

We will have to wait 2 more years for a decent UI to hopefully come through.
    And with Windows 8, Metro, App store for desktop and all the other bad decisions they are currently taking I just wish that I wasn't a Microsoft programmer in the first place :(

• Mircea Ion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this really an issue for some people? Apparently yes ... for over 2k of them. Sheesh!

• MichaelDaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new menus, like the rest of the new IDE, were an excellent design choice. It fits so well.

• Noel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need away to vote this down because I like the all caps better, than not having Caps.

I think design will be reverted when fail of Windows 8 to be PocketPC and PC platform (including try to make Visual Studio) will become evident.

• Dave Novak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I originally gave this suggestion 3 votes but no longer feel as strongly about the topic, so I've reduced my vote count for this to 1 vote. What changed? Honestly, I just don't think it looks all that bad! Furthermore, given that there is no longer a clear dividing line between toolbar and menubar, having the menu titles in ALL CAPS makes it a bit easier to find IMHO.

Having said that, I absolutely hated the all caps in the BETA when it was used for property page titles (for Solution Explorer, Class View, Property Manager, Team Explorer, etc.) I hated that because the titles didn't even fit in their allocated space and most were two words. This is not the case with the all caps menu, which should always have a single word for the menu title and is spaced to always fit.

I think Microsoft has proposed a good compromise here, which is to make it a configurable option. Now let's move on to the important stuff, like fixing real bugs and improving performance!

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where's the -100 points starting point and justification study (Eric Lippert blogs about as a feature decision process) for the all caps feature?

It would be educational to read the one for the ALL CAPS in titles bars that was universally hated and derided, only to later surface as an "F.U. I'M GETTING MY ALL CAPS IN REGARDLESS, SO HERE'S YOUR MENUS SUCKERS".

Educational as a "DO NOT DO THIS" example.

On a kinder note, Scott Hanselman has offered the polite view that "perhaps the all caps menus are there as an implied horizontal rule". Has no one considered that simply not hiding the accelerator keys would create the horizontal rule and be more functional and acceptable? How about realizing that the menus - being on a horizontal plane - create a horizontal rule regardless of casing?

What perplexes me - given the high caliber of every Microsoft developer I've ever met, and the rich history of Microsoft being very sensitive to the psychological effects of color and shape - is that these VS 2012 design themes and the jarringly upsetting, hard cornered logo of an abomination of the infinity symbol ever made it past a review board.

Programmers are typically more stressed and working longer ****** hours than the general public - hence all the jolt cola and sleepless nights - and as such need soothing shapes and happy colors. Better yet, PEOPLE NEED CHOICE. At least make the all caps an "off by default - on by Options setting".

• mrdev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is a news flash for everyone:

1. All caps can be disabled
    2. QUICK MACRO FEATURE IS GONE!!! SO IF YOU PASTE A LIST OF STRINGS THAT YOU WANT TO TRANSFORM TO AN ARRAY INITIALIZER OR A SWITCH STATEMENT YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK.

Visual Studio 2012 with such uppercases is less productive then 2010. Now user cannot guess with eyes title and have to read it. Why that change was made?

Feedback and Knowledge Base