I suggest you ...

Change All CAPS Menu in VS 2012 to VS Beta format File Edit Instead of FILE EDIT

Change All CAPS Menu in VS RC to VS Beta format File Edit Instead of FILE EDIT. Ref (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/05/08/visual-studio-11-user-interface-updates-coming-in-rc.aspx )

3,037 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
suresh2 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you everyone for voting and commenting on this issue.
We are happy to share that we have made changes to the Menu Bar style in Visual Studio. In Visual Studio “14” CTP2 Menu Bar shows in Title Case and in Visual Studio 2013 Update 3 RC we have added a tools options control for you to pick Title Case styling or All Caps styling for the Menu Bar. Please refer to the following announcements for details –
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/07/08/visual-studio-14-ctp-2-available.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/07/02/update-3-release-candidate-for-visual-studio-2013.aspx
If you are using Visual Studio 2012, you can change the Menu Bar style using this regkey –
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\General
DWORD: SuppressUppercaseConversion
Value: 1

Visual Studio UX Team
-————————————————————————

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented on this issue. Keeping with a Microsoft-wide emphasis on typography and casing as a key structure-defining element, we are retaining all caps casing as our default within the Visual Studio top level menu bar. However, you are welcome to override all caps if you choose, using the registry setting and related Visual Studio Extensions, which we will continue to support.

Visual Studio UX Team

112 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ed Brey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Think of what you could do with the valuable real estate saved by not wasting horizontal space on the extra width of capital letters. There would be even more space for toolbars to the right of the menu. Of course, we'd need is the feature to let toolbars be dragged up to the there. If MS went through all the work to implement their own title bar to get Quick Launch, it doesn't seem like too much to ask to let toolbars fill what is currently a large swath of dead space.

• OZone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do not compare VS UI to magazines. Magazines have special fonts and character spacing and word spacing and font heights for the text to be readable. They should be treated more like all lowercase actually. Why do we use capital letters at all? They attract attention. We divide large pieces of text by paragraphs, then by capitals. Split text to pieces. Binary search. Compare it to extremely long menu text - contiguous black rectangle with no spacings, evenly coloured. How do you find some word in the middle? I suppose Metro means some use of good typography. So, please introduce fonts and rich text formating to standard windows controls and use it if you wish. But until that do not thoughtlessly use established typography technologies with the tools you just have at the moment.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quite agree the UI looks like it's been designed by a child. PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK!

• Dave Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IT'S REALLY ANNOYING WHEN SOMEONE IS SHOUTING AT YOU FOR NO REASON. I DONT NEED A TOOL I USE ALL DAY, 5 DAYS A WEEK SHOUTING AT ME TOO!

• Johnny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the stumbing block? Let go of the ALL CAPs thing. How much more negative feedback do you guys need on this subject. You seem to have a registry key, so just default it to 'OFF' and surface a configuration option to set it to 'On' for those that want it.

• Glen Stone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's another reason why ALL CAPS MENUS are bad. Visual Studio has 15 menus by default and every extension (Resharper, TypeMock, etc.) likes to add another one. If you're not running full screen on a high res monitor the menu bar is going to wrap to multiple rows.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very odd when users overwhelmingly reject ALL CAPS to simply move them to a different place.

ALL CAPS are unpopular and ugly per se. Don't use them at all please.

• Cesar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess there is someone insisting on ALL CAPS.

- "They removed my all caps?? No problem, I'll move it to another place"

Why they want uppercase (at least something) so badly?

• Dave Novak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When users said they wanted ALL CAPS removed, they really meant all caps, everywhere. Why on earth would you move ALL CAPS here?!? Somebody's not listening very carefully!

• Adamcogan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys

I can't understand the problem...the UI looks fine to me. The same thing exists on tfspreview.com and no-one has whinged about it

Notwithstanding that, too much energy has been wasted on it, and no doubt will continue too so, so a checkbox should be added to Tools | Options

That said, I feel sad.
    · You do know that a company should *not* be disjointed… that they should try to be consistent with other areas. If Win8 is going to have a metro style, then the VS team should try to follow along (even if they have *not* been told to by Steven Sinofsky

· You do know that the amount of comments/complaints about this minor issue, causes Microsoft DevDiv staff to have meetings discussing if they should budge on this…. When they should be focusing on bugs and performance issues.

Adam
    www.adamcogan.com

• hamrat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DOES THIS MAKE YOU FEEL SLIGHTLY UNCOMFORTABLE? I KNOW THAT'S HOW I FEEL!
    Also, please add some more colour! After working with the RC for a few minutes, I feel as though I want to shoot myself!

• ThatGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"If a menu being in all caps affects you're productivity, you should be fired for incompetence. Speed of execution affects productivity. Richness of features affect productivity.

I really can't believe how much effort you are encouraging to be wasted on something that has no real benefit or effect on how well you code.

I wish user voice would let us vote down requests. There are far more worthy things a lot of people would like to see worked on."

/thread Please don't waste time on the complaints of children... improve performance/ add productivity features.

• CodingGorilla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHO IS DOING THESE USABILITY STUDIES AND WHO THINKS THAT THIS UX LOOKS GOOD. ALL THE GREY AND THE LACK OF COLOR OVERALL IS JUST DEPRESSING. AND FOR SOME REASON, I FEEL LIKE THE MENU BAR IS ANGRY AT ME, I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND!

• Scott Salyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After using the RC for a full day I've found the all caps didn't bother me one bit. I didn't even notice them and that was going between two instances of VS back and forth all day. I voted for the color changes from the Beta (which the RC did an excellent job of) but I can't see how the caps are distracting at all.

• rseac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're developers. We wouldn't know a good UI if it bit us in the face.

The unreadable argument is stupid. The shouting argument is stupid. Why are you all wasting so much effort on something that doesn't affect productivity? And that you know someone will build an extension to change later?

If a menu being in all caps affects you're productivity, you should be fired for incompetence. Speed of execution affects productivity. Richness of features affect productivity.

I really can't believe how much effort you are encouraging to be wasted on something that has no real benefit or effect on how well you code.

I wish user voice would let us vote down requests. There are far more worthy things a lot of people would like to see worked on.

Feedback and Knowledge Base