I suggest you ...

Change All CAPS Menu in VS 2012 to VS Beta format File Edit Instead of FILE EDIT

Change All CAPS Menu in VS RC to VS Beta format File Edit Instead of FILE EDIT. Ref (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/05/08/visual-studio-11-user-interface-updates-coming-in-rc.aspx )

3,037 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    suresh2 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you everyone for voting and commenting on this issue.
    We are happy to share that we have made changes to the Menu Bar style in Visual Studio. In Visual Studio “14” CTP2 Menu Bar shows in Title Case and in Visual Studio 2013 Update 3 RC we have added a tools options control for you to pick Title Case styling or All Caps styling for the Menu Bar. Please refer to the following announcements for details –
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/07/08/visual-studio-14-ctp-2-available.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/07/02/update-3-release-candidate-for-visual-studio-2013.aspx
    If you are using Visual Studio 2012, you can change the Menu Bar style using this regkey –
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\General
    DWORD: SuppressUppercaseConversion
    Value: 1

Visual Studio UX Team
    -————————————————————————

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented on this issue. Keeping with a Microsoft-wide emphasis on typography and casing as a key structure-defining element, we are retaining all caps casing as our default within the Visual Studio top level menu bar. However, you are welcome to override all caps if you choose, using the registry setting and related Visual Studio Extensions, which we will continue to support.

Visual Studio UX Team

112 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bart Sipes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To all the people who are asking why Microsoft is asking for feedback and not listening to it please compare the Beta and RC images here. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/05/29/visual-studio-dark-theme.aspx

They are listening to feedback and did remove most of the all caps. When I saw that in the Beta I thought it looked terrible. However, they have toned it down and limited the all caps. Just because they don't change something that a bunch (okay, a lot) of people want changed does not mean that they are not listening to feedback. They are and they have changed a lot.

Besides, while for better or worse people think that on the Internet all caps means that you are shouting, just take a look at magazine covers (like POPULAR SCIENCE), bill boards, books, and other print media you'll see that ALL CAPS is used on a regular basis. I haven't heard anybody complaining about all of those.

So please, take a breather people and try to appreciate what they are doing without all of the negative waves. I get sick of reading all of the comments on their blog because every other line is GET RID OF THE ALL CAPS.

• rstat1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To all the idiots out there who say these All Caps menus are unreadable...tell me: What's the name of the first menu item listed? If you can answer correctly then obviously you were lying and it actually is readable.

• Michael Geary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with ALL CAPS is not a question of taste, or whether it looks better, or anything like that.

Even if all caps menus genuinely looked better and served the layout better and all that, they would STILL be a very bad idea.

Why?

Because this is a programmer's tool, and in almost all the languages we work with every day, case is significant.

Take a look at this line of C code. Anything wrong?

File* fp = fopen( 'file', 'r' );

Any competent C programmer is going to do a double-take and say "What? Didn't they mean FILE* instead of File*?"

In C, FILE and File are *not the same word*. You can't just substitute one for the other. If you do, you have a bug.

Because our programming languages are case significant, our eyes are trained to to see FILE and File, VIEW and View, EDIT and Edit, as different words.

When you make the menu bar UPPERCASE, you're not just "decorating" it differently, you are using THE WRONG WORDS. In programming, FILE is not File. EDIT is not Edit, and VIEW is not View.

It doesn't matter if it looks better or meets some design goal. To a programmer's eye, it simply looks like a bug.

• Timothy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Metro is innovating the UX as much as it is killing the UX. It's like the research team at MS found the perfect balance of usability and some brain dead manager said, "it's not enough! Turn it up to 11!" and then we went from slick typography and high contrast to obnoxious primary colors, fist-sized buttons, no chrome at all, very few visual cues (other than text going off screen), no respect of default Windows theme, and ALL CAPS ALL OVER THE PLACE. At least you got rid of the ALL CAPS in the toolbar titles. Holy **** that annoyed me so much, I seriously though about simply not using Visual Studio 11 at all. Thankfully, you fixed that, at the expense of the menu bar. It's not quite as obnoxious, but it's still obnoxious.

• David Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The use of all capitals on menu headings appears childish and conveys a lack of sophistication and education. Visual Studio is a tool for professionals, it should look the part.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like CAPS in the menu but I see some users like it. Okay, what does oppose to add an option responsible for it?

• Thomas Darling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, just get over that addiction to using ALL CAPS!

- It is absolutely unreadable and look like ****, at least in your implementation. If your usability studies show anything else, then whoever did the studies should go find another job. Look at your other Metro inspired apps, if they use all caps, it is combined with a careful selection of font face and weight - it is NOT just the default system font, and that makes a HUGE difference.

- It is inconsistent with almost every single desktop app ever released.
        Don't give us any metro ******** here; I happen to really like the Metro design language, but VS is still a complex desktop app, and while a cleaner design is nice, there are still rules to be followed - one of them is to maintain at least some consistency with the other tools we use. It is bad enough that you are screwing with the default window chrome.

- Don't do it just because Office is (maybe) doing it. It also has to fit into YOUR design, and currently that is not quite the case. And if you do decide to follow Office, then you must make sure your implementations looks exactly the same - otherwise it is absolutely pointless, and in my opinion just plain stupid.

Now, if you absolutely must use all caps, then here is a bit of advise:

- You cannot just use Segoe UI with default size, weight and rendering. Look at other implementations; they render the text in a slightly bolder and softer style, and you should probably do that too.

- Get rid of the **** "_" until the user actually presses the ALT key. All caps should look clean and simple, but that little shortcut indicator really screws that up. I strongly believe this plays a major role in the response you are getting on this whole 'all caps' issue, even if people don't realise it.

- Maybe add just a little more whitespace above and below the menu items. All caps needs space to work well, otherwise it just looks too busy... just a few extra pixels would make this look a lot cleaner, I believe.

• Azarien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+0 for this. Now hit me...
        I think the menu could be visually improved by using BIGGER and SMALLER caps (so called "small caps" style).

Feedback and Knowledge Base