I suggest you ...

correct the tab order and usability of the new project page

The VS 11 new project page is difficult to use using the keyboard / tabbing between the panes as the order is non-obvious from first glance. It feels like it goes left upper, down, however the filtering / sorting isn't obviously less important than the general project type (left side treeview). There's no obvious way to select either of the major panes without using the tab key on the keyboard. Moving from the treeview to the project type takes 6 tabs

It's rare if ever that I'd care to sort by reverse name.
The default ordering now that I look at it is really odd. Why is it like it is? Why not just always order by name? This allows for typeahead to just work.

Speaking of type-ahead, it's broken in the treeview, and acts like I have the Alt key pressed.

Keeping on the treeview. It's kind of a treeview, by an outer heading that I can back tab to. WTF? This doesn't change color when it's got keyboard focus. How do I realise that this is where my control is when it's selected?

As a sidenote, the nuget package manager gets a bunch of this wrong as well, though tab order is even worse.

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joshua McKinneyJoshua McKinney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alex PostlethwaiteAlex Postlethwaite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This extends to the "Add New Item" page.

In 2010 it used to go templates treeview, type listview, name edit control.

What used to be a 2 key sequence to enter a name, then commit, has turned into a 6 key operation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base