I suggest you ...

Provide installer packages for each ALM Rangers solution

It would be very convenient if each rangers solution has an installer which can install all necessary bits on the client computer - sample solutions, hands-on labs, documentation, etc. It will definitely help organizing files and simplify usage of the solution as PowerShell modules, add-ins and other bits will be registered and ready to use.

Submitted by a Visual Studio ALM Ranger

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Vladimir GusarovVladimir Gusarov shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Visual Studio teamAdminVisual Studio team (Product Team, Microsoft) responded  · 

Installers will introduce maintenance and especially quality process requirements that will impact the ability for ALM Rangers to respond quickly to adoption blockers. We will decline this idea for all solutions, but consider for selected solutions that can absorb the additional cost.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jesse HouwingJesse Houwing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For books I prefer epub and/or mobi as well, so that I can read it on my e-reader. It also allows us to publish them via Amazon (even for free). and other ebook vendors.

I also like integration of the guidance into the MSDN library so that it comes up with helpful details when I search or press F1. This is something the installer can do.

I like PDF mostly for printing since it doesn't flow to fit the screen of my tablet nor ereader.

As for powershell scripts, tools, samples and other bits including MSDN help integration, I love that to be part of an installer (or the Web Platform Installer or Nuget).

• Vladimir GusarovVladimir Gusarov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree - having installer package should not substitute guidance itself. Moreover, we are talking about e-book version of the guidance...

Feedback and Knowledge Base