I suggest you ...

Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.

You really need to bring back the basic Setup and Deployment project name Visual Studio Installer. It was a clean, simple, and effective installer for home grown applications that were to be deployed internally. I downloaded and used InstallShield LE and it's too complicated and overblown to build simple effective install/uninstall capabilities. Why did you remove it to begin with? We have to support desktop applications for the foreseeable future.

6,178 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jeff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

UPDATE:
    We have just released an extension which delivers the Visual Studio Installer projects functionality present in Visual Studio 2010 for Visual Studio 2013.

To find out more please read Visual Studio Installer Projects Extension

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro

UPDATE:
    We have more information on the next version of InstallShield Limited Edition that will be included in Visual Studio 2013.

What’s new in Visual Studio 2013 and InstallShield Limited Edition

ORIGINAL:
    We’d like to thank you all for your comments on this UserVoice entry. We have been discussing the comments on InstallShield Limited Edition (ISLE) raised here with Flexera and we are currently working with them to address the top issues. At this stage we have no plans to include the former Visual Studio Setup Projects in future product versions but we will continue to work with Flexera and the community to ensure Visual Studio customers’ setup needs will be met with no-cost tooling that supports a broad range of scenarios.

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro.

832 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a simple setup for windows service installation.
        We go back to VS2010 for the moment.

• Néstor Sánchez A. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was going to upgrade to VS 2012, but decided to skip it until having a cheap and simple but powerful-enough setup packager. Wix requires to much time to learn (as any other script based product) and InstallShield is too expensive plus very limited in its LE edition.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We recently decided to upgrade to .NET 4.5 to take advantage of the new features (which Microsoft are making a nice song and dance about), but it has been a nightmare for productivity and pushed our release date back by weeks.

- VS 2010 doesn't support .NET 4.5 targeting
        - Upgrading to VS 2012 has meant dropping support for our nice and easy Setup and Deployment projects (many hours work down the drain right there)
        - InstallShield LE is just not powerful enough and upgrading at their exorbitant prices it not an option at this stage
        - We've been thrust into the world of WiX, after all this seems to be where we're being pushed by MS and this is a big learning curve (weeks getting back to where we were before, doesn't have nice and easy UI for its bootstrapper, documentation and examples are hard to find etc etc.)

Microsoft - you want developers to not only develop software but have people INSTALL IT right? At least throw some resources into the WiX effort to push more documentation, fix bugs and provide some off-the-shelf templates we can use (especially for Burn). I see it as in your best interest to make the installer creation as easy and intuitive as possible, not this nightmare. Fast and easy installer creation including dependencies is in all of our best interests.

• Jon Brierley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is pure idiocy. It seems like every time the product is upgraded there is SOME reason why I can't adopt it and have to keep the old versions. '98 for reporting services and CE 5 support (yes, MS, there is legacy hardware out there that we don't control and can't get rid of but which still needs updating!), and now 2010 for a mere setup package. Grr!

• Justin Cordingley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The removal of SetUp and Deployment projects has a huge impact on our ability to upgrade our enterprise applications to VS2012. You're missing a trick here and neglecting customer needs.

• DK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am going back to Visual Studio 2008.

Thank you Microsoft.. oh wise one.. .NOT!

• Felix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote in for this as well. Migrating our apps to vs2012 is painful.

• Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I had known this I would have never bought, and upgraded to vs2012. Very disappointed with Microsoft. I will not recommend vs2012 to my fellow developers unless Microsoft brings back the straight forward and simple to use install templates. I gave up trying to create an install package with InstallShield LE; it sucks. Going back to vs2010.

• Krunal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want the simple basic setup Project Type back in VS 12. Microsoft - you should allow developers to utilize good features of all times. Don't force to buy/use not so good InstallShield LE.

• Mirality commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Inno Setup instead of any variant of InstallShield. Never looked back (except with horror).

• Michael Lukatchik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. For me, it was painful to find out that the VS Installer templates were removed. What's even worse to accept is the fact that my only options are to either download, install, and activate InstallShield 2012 (and eat up space on my drive while doing so...), or redirect and download an open source Wix toolset installer product. Both approaches have killed my productivity today. Let's look at getting the VS installer templates back. And to add to Jeff's comments -- Yes, Win Forms are still around and they're not going anywhere. And I'm a Windows Services guy -- which means that all of my installer packages from 2010 are no longer compatible in 2012.

• Daz Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just spent the better part of a day trying to redo my whole installer to use this **** and its totally non functioning dependency scanner. I gave up. Back to VS2010. Microsoft WAKE UP.

• Camel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I put 3 on this one, because it makes me re install 2010 and leave and forget 2012. Will be the same in my company. Inacceptable ! You are playing with us ! Visual Studio and the framework are providing more and more integrated functionnalties, but we cannot install them...I must say that I am (was?) a big fan of CSharp and WPF, but i am fed up

• goeppel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It never should have been removed. It worked fine for me. How was it broken? For simple projects it worked fine. Why was it removed? With custom actions I was covered for anything more complex. Forcing everybody to use Install Shield is a extremely annoying. I have been trying for an hour now. Now I have to waste time on this. Other projects, download some other item for Visual Studio 11 Beta? I do not have Visual Studio 11 Beta, I thought I was using Visual Studio 2012.

• goeppel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I am shocked they did this. A lot of projects will never be moved to VS 2012 because of this. Is the only reason money? Does anybody have a link explaining the reason?

• Daz Kuffs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Installshield is so complicated, flaky and unreliable. It consistently throws error messages but gives no clue on how to fix them. I daren't trust my projects to it. So many bad decisions with this version. This is the first time I have ever uninstalled Visual Studio and reverted to using the prior version.

Feedback and Knowledge Base