I suggest you ...

Provide API to generate TFS Warehouse/Code Coverage compatible names for Methods and Types

Currently the Code Coverage details that are loaded into the TFS warehouse use a naming scheme that is not well documented. Nor is there an existing API that can be used to convert from other 'popular' naming schemes or API's to the format Code Coverage uses.

For my TFS Warehouse extension I want to integrate into the existing DimCodeElement dimension, which is fed using the above mentioned formatting for Types and Members. In order to reference the correct CodeElement I need to generate the same strings inside my WarehouseAdapter.

Microsoft,

A) Please provide a public PersistenceNameProvider, akin to the existing NameProviders in Microsoft.CodeAnalaysis that we can use to convert from a Microsoft.Cci INode or a System.Reflection based ITypeInfo/IMemberInfo.

Or alternatively create a cross tool naming format which will be used inside the warehouse.

See also:
internal abstract class PersistenceNameProvider : NameProvider
Name: Microsoft.FxCop.Sdk.NameProviders.PersistenceNameProvider
Assembly: Microsoft.VisualStudio.CodeAnalysis, Version=10.0.0.0

Or

B) Provide detailed documentation on the formatting used for the different languages supported by CodeCoverage (C#, VB.NET, F#, C++). That way we can implement something like this ourselves.

-- SUBMITTED BY AN ALM RANGER.

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jesse HouwingJesse Houwing shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jesse HouwingJesse Houwing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aside from the warehouse specific naming system, it looks like the Business Key / Surrogate Key generated by Test Impact analysis and Code Coverage is a base64 encoded binary identifier of the method signature. It would be very helpful if we could generate that too :).

Feedback and Knowledge Base