I suggest you ...

Provide deep integration of Lync in Team Foundation Clients

I've seen a couple of user studies from Microsoft Research on this subject and I'm personally seeing a couple of great things that might help improve collaboration between co-located team members.

Deep integration of Presence, IM and screen sharing features would be really helpful if you're not int he same room. We're thinking along the lines of:
- Presence for Work item fields containing people (assigned to, created by, history).
- Presence inside the dropdowns for Assigned to etc. That way you can quickly assign items to people in state 'available' for quick triage or resolving of issues
- Extend Source Control context menu to show all users who have a file checked out to their name with option to call/mail/im (outlook like toast).
- Extend Source Control History menu to show outlook like toast for checkins
- Extend Source Editor / Work item editor to show Outlook Social panel like status bar with the people who (last) contributed to said file
- Request help feature which will pop up list of team members and will trigger screen share with these users for your active Visual Studio session (and any attached processes in case of active debug session)
- Extend annotate screen to add presence information
- Allow users to send work item queries, work item templates, visual studio settings, workspace templates etc through Lync

And to add to that, when a user opens an IM from Visual Studio the context of the work item, versioned item, changeset, work item query etc is passed to Lync and the receiving user can choose to either start screen share or open the item in his/her own Visual Studio instance or Team Web Access.

Submitted by an ALM Ranger

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jesse HouwingJesse Houwing shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...