I suggest you ...

Enable us to sync our application settings via SkyDrive similar to how Windows 8 does user preferences

Enable us to sync our application settings via SkyDrive similar to how Windows 8 syncs your preferences across PCs when linked with a Microsoft ID.

It must be standard and similar to existing APIs so the same code could be used on stand-alone PCs or when the user does not want to enable sync. For this IsolatedStorage seems to be the ideal candidate.

All that is needed is a standard hidden AppData folder and IsolatedStorage subdirectories added to SkyDrive, then expand the Live SDK to support it.

Currently we can save our settings to various files on SkyDrive, if they are supported (limited file extensions) and not accidentally deleted by the user when using the various SkyDrive GUIs.

Take the sample below for example, it's perfect except the "IsolatedStorageFolder" is not standard and cannot be set hidden.

http://nikovrdoljak.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/backup-your-windows-phone-isolated-storage-data-to-skydrive-using-live-connect-api/

So you have to write a load more code in your application to manage the directory and files (which would setup automatically by an isolated storage provider).

Furthermore, the user does need a way to manage and purge storage for old apps they don't want to store data for anymore. So SkyDrive itself should be updated to provide that user friendly API.

But please don't make us wait for all that, just start by giving us a standard folder which appears grey (like a read-only folder) on SkyDrive and supporting any file extension (including SQLCE databases) within this folder.

A lesser alternative would be to just standardize an "Application Data" hidden folder and advise or enforce that we (developers) create our own "Manufacturer\Product" subdirectories there, but you also allow us to store any file (extension) still.

23 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Code ChiefCode Chief shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion. In Visual Studio 2013 you can now sign in with your Microsoft ID to automatically synchronize settings across your devices as well as get all your account and licensing information within the IDE. Check out the blog post on Synchronized Settings (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2013/07/03/the-story-of-synchronized-settings.aspx) and the MSDN documentation for Synchronized Settings (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/dn135229(v=vs.120).aspx) to learn more.

Visual Studio IDE Team

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jamie ThomsonJamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came here to ask for exactly this and am delighted that someone has already asked for it.
        Personally I don't care whether Visual Studio settings are synced to SkyDrive, a cloud service that is invisible to me, or wherever; I simply want to install VS somewhere new and have instant access to my code snippets, extensions, options etc... Basically everything that can be set in Tools->Options should (optionally) be roamed to wherever I have Visual Studio installed.

Moreover, I want to open a project on a different machine and instantly have the same files opened as I had open on my previous machine.

I want to have the same panes open/docked/floating the last time I logged into an instance of VS.

you get the idea...

Office is already going in this direction (e.g. in Word 2013 I can open a document on a different device and instantly open it to the point at which I was last at) - please don't get left behind by Office of all folks!!! :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base