Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eugene shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have read all of the comments on this thread and I’d like to thank you for providing your constructive feedback on this issue. Instead of merely repeating our support and migration guidance that has been laid out on http://msdn.com/vbrun, I’d like to address some of your specific comments here.

To play back the feedback themes we’re hearing:
    - VB6 is awesome
    - VB6 needs to be brought forward and maintained: in a new release or OSS

VB6 was and still is without a doubt awesome. VB6 made developers incredibly productive building a breadth of applications and as a result we have a wealth of applications and passionate developers to this day in 2014. One way I see our mission in developer tools is to empower developers to solve problems. This includes both today’s problems AND the problems of tomorrow. VB6, as you all have stated repeatedly in this thread, is an excellent tool for solving the problems of its day. We also stand behind our decision starting in 2002 to meet the current demands of our developers and the industry with .NET. For the scenarios VB6 set out to do, we see VB6 being “complete”. We feel good about VB6 being able to continue maintaining their applications for the past 15 years. Current needs ranging from distributed applications and services, to web applications and services, to devices, to new architectures and languages, required fundamental changes to the whole stack. We looked at how we could accommodate these needs through incremental changes to VB6 while maintaining its essence, and that was not possible.

To address the modern needs we would need to go far beyond updating the language. We have to remember that VB6 is not just a language. VB6 is a language, a runtime, a platform library, a tool/IDE, and an ecosystem tightly packaged together in a way that made all of them work well together. We’ve worked with many customers on migration from VB6 to .NET and found that while yes, there are language changes, the dominating factor in migration difficulties isn’t the language differences. Even open sourcing the language/runtime wouldn’t solve the fact that VB6 was thought for a different set of problems, and the fact that its strength came from the end-to-end solution provided by all these five pieces working together. Take a change like 64bit, the complete runtime, tools and ecosystem chain would need to be retooled.

So, moving forward what can we do? Where we have been able to help move forward is in our stance around support and interoperability. The VB6 runtime it is still a component of the Windows operating system and is a component shipped in Windows 8.1. It will be supported at least through 2024. This ensures your apps and components continue to run as you incrementally move forward to .NET. The support policy is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708. There are numerous interop strategies that we developed and evolved to enable incremental migration as you upgrade your skills, described here: http://msdn.com/vbrun.

In summary, VB6 was awesome. We agree. We don’t expect or demand anyone to throw away their code or rewrite from any of our technologies unless it makes business sense for them to do so. We have to innovate to enable our customers to innovate. It is not a viable option to create a next version of VB6. We stand by our decision to make VB.NET and the .NET Framework. We think they are awesome too. It is not feasible to open source VB6 tools chain and ecosystem. The VB6 runtime was last shipped in Windows 8.1 and will be supported for the lifetime of Windows 8.1. Support and interop are great tools to move forward incrementally.

I hope you feel we’ve listened to your feedback and that I’ve explained things well enough that you understand our decision.

Paul Yuknewicz
    Group Program Manager
    Microsoft Visual Studio Cloud Tools

8820 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jumanji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Read article:

Visual Basic 6.0 is an attractor for the young intelligent minds

Up to my last count in 2014, there have been around 200 pages dedicated to VB6 on FaceBook. I am subscribed to one of the very active pages, namely https://www.facebook.com/MicrosoftVB/. I asked the administrators this page if they had something related to the VB6 programmers age data. They did more than send me data, they gave me access to their statistics. The current number of programmers subscribed to the page in 2017 is 13 thousand. Not just that young minds prefer VB6, but new blood comes to the VB6 community and not to the other communities. While in general the trend of using a language is artificially maintained by different companies and groups, the Visual Basic 6.0 language has a natural trend, it's like an attractor for the intelligent minds. Of 13,000 programmers this is the age distribution on the https://www.facebook.com/MicrosoftVB/:

https://vb6awards.blogspot.com/2017/10/visual-basic-60-is-attractor-for-young.html

_████____████
        ██████_██████
        █████████████
        _███████████
        ___████████
        ______████
        _______█__________████____████
        _______●_________██████_██████
        ________●________█████████████
        __________●_______███████████
        _████____████____████████
        ██████_██████_____█████
        █████████████_______██
        _███████████_________█
        ___████████__●_______●
        ______█████____●______●
        ________██_______●_____●
        __________█________●____●
        _____________●_______●___●
        _________________●______●__●
        ____________________●____●__● VISUAL BASIC 6.0

VISUAL BASIC 6.0 is the KING OF ALL LANGUAGES !!!

Young intelligent minds vote for Visual basic 6.0:

https://vb6awards.blogspot.com/2017/10/visual-basic-60-is-attractor-for-young.html

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One good reason that VB6 shall and will never come back

"Just like the last year’s results, this year, Visual Basic was again listed as the most dreaded programming language. Just in case you’re wondering what’s the meaning of most dreaded, it shows that a high percentage of developers who’re currently using the technology aren’t interested in continuing to do so.

A young programmer shall never start with VB6, which is a dead language and irrelevant in today's modern computing world. Moreover, it drops like a rock in popularity in indexes like Tiobe. Not to mention, VB6 has been elected as the most hated language of all times by Stackoverflow. There are so many much superior languages around. We shouldn't even be talking about VB6.

Besides can you please explain to me:

1-why VB6 dropped from 14th to 18th position in only one month in Tiobe? How can you explain this? If VB6 was the best language how come it drops like a rock?

2-why VB6 is chosen as the most hated language of all times by Stackoverflow survey 2017?

3- Why there is no modern commercial program written in VB6 if it is sooo good?

Why was VB6 deserted?

There are many reasons but I would like to present major ones.
        -VB6 was/is full of bugs. NET has NO bugs.
        - VB6 could not do multi threading but .NET can do that. VB6 was/is a very complicated, bloated platform for not so professional users.
        - VB6 was easy to hack. VB.NET is impossible to hack. Programs written with VB6 were not safe (buffer overflow problems).
        -VB6 was not maintainable. It was not Object Oriented, which is a big no in today's modern computing requirement
        etc.etc.etc.

Martin Phillips says

I think you people have to realise that VB6 is dead and it's not coming back.
        Microsoft has no reason to bring it back.
        Most of the people who learnt VB6 are now too old to coding professionally. VB.NET has new programmers each day.
        The coding world has moved on with .NET and Java and those it left behind were left behind because they were not intellectually capable to realize the paradigm.
        I and many others were, however, capable of adapting .NET to this change. We use .NET and love it!
        So I'm sorry for you people who are unable to evolve - such is the nature of life. Only the strong survive. You just have to deal with that.

VB6 is dead and it's NEVER coming back!

• VB6 Programming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Microsoft’s Visual Basic first launched in 1991, and was immediately recognized by the computer science engineering world as one of the most powerful programming languages ever created. It is thanks to this simple and impactful tool that burgeoning industries like the video game industry were able to take advantage of its user-friendly interface and rapid application development to experiment and develop game concepts quickly."

- The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) announcement of Microsoft’s Visual Basic as the recipient of the Technical Impact Award at the 19th D.I.C.E. Awards.

VB6 programming and .Net...

"In fact the only thing that .NET did wrong was to kill off VB6 - it should have been allowed to coexist for those wanting to use it. Instead Microsoft provided as its replacement VB .NET, which added nothing that C# didn't already have."

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/89-net/11758-microsoft-asks-for-help-on-the-future-of-net-where-do-we-start.html

Microsoft's lead architect of C# and .Net, Anders Hejlsberg, has stopped working on them.
        He now prefers to be core developer of TypeScript, Microsoft's version of JavaScript. TypeScript is a statically typed version of JavaScript, it transpiles to standard JavaScript.

Now even Microsoft's Anders Hejlsberg has abandoned C# and .Net, it is time for everyone else to do so.
        Hejlsberg chooses a version of JavaScript. What are you going to choose?

Anyone deciding to stay with C# and .Net must be very,very brave.

_████____████
        ██████_██████
        █████████████
        _███████████
        ___████████
        ______████
        _______█__________████____████
        _______●_________██████_██████
        ________●________█████████████
        __________●_______███████████
        _████____████____████████
        ██████_██████_____█████
        █████████████_______██
        _███████████_________█
        ___████████__●_______●
        ______█████____●______●
        ________██_______●_____●
        __________█________●____●
        _____________●_______●___●
        _________________●______●__●
        ____________________●____●__● VISUAL BASIC 6.0

VISUAL BASIC 6.0 is the KING OF ALL LANGUAGES !!!

I remember having designed complex code in the 2009 and early 2015 and it was almost impossible to unit test those complex applications, not to mention the maintainability and expandability aspects. That's the reason why most of the big businesses were not happy to stay with C# and .NET in general since very early on. It doesn't mean that all software is complex and requires solid principles to separate UI and business model. However for big businesses and their mission critical software this is vital as they want to keep their code base maintainable and expandable. Visual Basic 6.0 is the best choice for windows to do this. Ask any professional software developer and you will see that Visual Basic 6.0 is the most popular. It is an almost complete framework with huge user community and VB6 programmers are highly in demand (and very, very well paid).). It pleases professional business software developers immensely. Yes there are other software that you can use for mission specific purposes. For instance ADA is a very old language that is widely used in aerospace and aviation due to its many fail-safe features. Obviously, using C# or VB.NET wouldn't be practical in such a case. Similarly, VB6 or Python is embraced by the scientific community for similar reasons. Currently C# and VB.NET has really no such area, in which it would be the best choice. There are many other modern languages, equally easy to learn and targeting RAD type of environments. That is the reason why Microsoft will lose the race of programming languages and that is reality!!!!!!!

It's really that simple.

What we have now is a modern VB6, fully OO, and mature programming language that can compete at every level with any of the other OO languages out there.

We have this available on a development platform that provides an infinite amount of additional features and performance to the programmer/user.

There are those who complain that .NET is bloated, slow and full of errors compared with Visual Basic 6.0. Duh?! What a surprise! That's because Microsoft has week programmers on the programming languages area.

Let’s bury C# and the .NET framedisaster!

LET US BRING BACK THE VISUAL BASIC 6.0 GOD !

daniell commented · May 14, 2018 15:19 · Flag as inappropriate
        You'll always pay for your folly.

Developers who jumped on the .NET bandwagon and bet their future career on C# made the wrong choice.

It was clear from the beginning that .NET was a poorly designed beast masked by its apparent complications.

.NET wasn't simple, it was a complete mess under the hood. Just that most C# lovers (or should I say suckers) were just not smart enough to realize this, and now they are gonna pay for their stupidity.

it's not so hard to make the switch to Visual Basic 6.0. I think that expressing code in Visual Basic 6.0 is much cleaner and easier than in C#. I used C# for 6 years, and always cringed a little inside whenever I had to use a line extension character for a long statement. Having made the jump to VB6 over 12 years ago now, I find it's actually difficult to "think" in C# terms anymore.

Don't fear the change, just get in the water and swim. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

humaru commented · May 21, 2018 21:56 · Flag as inappropriate
        TIOBE Index is full of lies

Visual Basic .NET on 6, come on, nobody uses that s hit !!!!!!!!!!!!

Go on 14 place ?! who the f u ck is using that. I don't know eaven one programmer on Go

so, these polls on Tiobe and others are pure s hi t ! LET US RECOGNISE THAT ONE !

The creation of a tool like .NET was a very good lesson for the programming community and taught the programming world a good lesson that nobody should produce anything such as .NET framework in the future. The reasons may be listed as follows:

Feedback and Knowledge Base