Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eugene shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have read all of the comments on this thread and I’d like to thank you for providing your constructive feedback on this issue. Instead of merely repeating our support and migration guidance that has been laid out on http://msdn.com/vbrun, I’d like to address some of your specific comments here.

To play back the feedback themes we’re hearing:
    - VB6 is awesome
    - VB6 needs to be brought forward and maintained: in a new release or OSS

VB6 was and still is without a doubt awesome. VB6 made developers incredibly productive building a breadth of applications and as a result we have a wealth of applications and passionate developers to this day in 2014. One way I see our mission in developer tools is to empower developers to solve problems. This includes both today’s problems AND the problems of tomorrow. VB6, as you all have stated repeatedly in this thread, is an excellent tool for solving the problems of its day. We also stand behind our decision starting in 2002 to meet the current demands of our developers and the industry with .NET. For the scenarios VB6 set out to do, we see VB6 being “complete”. We feel good about VB6 being able to continue maintaining their applications for the past 15 years. Current needs ranging from distributed applications and services, to web applications and services, to devices, to new architectures and languages, required fundamental changes to the whole stack. We looked at how we could accommodate these needs through incremental changes to VB6 while maintaining its essence, and that was not possible.

To address the modern needs we would need to go far beyond updating the language. We have to remember that VB6 is not just a language. VB6 is a language, a runtime, a platform library, a tool/IDE, and an ecosystem tightly packaged together in a way that made all of them work well together. We’ve worked with many customers on migration from VB6 to .NET and found that while yes, there are language changes, the dominating factor in migration difficulties isn’t the language differences. Even open sourcing the language/runtime wouldn’t solve the fact that VB6 was thought for a different set of problems, and the fact that its strength came from the end-to-end solution provided by all these five pieces working together. Take a change like 64bit, the complete runtime, tools and ecosystem chain would need to be retooled.

So, moving forward what can we do? Where we have been able to help move forward is in our stance around support and interoperability. The VB6 runtime it is still a component of the Windows operating system and is a component shipped in Windows 8.1. It will be supported at least through 2024. This ensures your apps and components continue to run as you incrementally move forward to .NET. The support policy is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708. There are numerous interop strategies that we developed and evolved to enable incremental migration as you upgrade your skills, described here: http://msdn.com/vbrun.

In summary, VB6 was awesome. We agree. We don’t expect or demand anyone to throw away their code or rewrite from any of our technologies unless it makes business sense for them to do so. We have to innovate to enable our customers to innovate. It is not a viable option to create a next version of VB6. We stand by our decision to make VB.NET and the .NET Framework. We think they are awesome too. It is not feasible to open source VB6 tools chain and ecosystem. The VB6 runtime was last shipped in Windows 8.1 and will be supported for the lifetime of Windows 8.1. Support and interop are great tools to move forward incrementally.

I hope you feel we’ve listened to your feedback and that I’ve explained things well enough that you understand our decision.

Paul Yuknewicz
    Group Program Manager
    Microsoft Visual Studio Cloud Tools

8408 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John Archbold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VB6 has been a fantastic programming environment for our mixed-language astronomy extension. We use both assembler and COM linked to the intuitive VB GUI base. The project is EQMOD and is distributed worldwide and current downloads exceed 500 per month on Sourceforge. Sourcecode is distributed along with dlls.

• axisdj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Get out the vote

Without a doubt, the single highest point of leverage in any campaign is getting out the vote. If the people who agree with you or believe in you actually show up and vote, you win.

This, of course, is true for everything, not just retail politics. Your non-profit, retail store or b2b services firm probably doesn't need as many new prospects as you think you do--you will generate more impact if you reconnect with the people who already know and trust you. "

Seth Godin

• friendofghost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there are tools that can run vb6 exe files within same directory without registering com objects. I succeeded to run multiple versions of com objects in same computer without any effort. I cant think any reason not to continue with vb6. I think vbnet and c# is one stop above of vb6 but its like c++. why use C if you dont need it ? vb6 is fast, easy, have fast IDE, and for years vb6 users developed huge libraries and purchased components. I coont moto to vb.net as I have gigabytes of components and hundred thousands of working live code. I developed them in tens of years and tested them. starting allover is nonesense. MS tries to force re-write everything, so developers MUST use dotnet frameworks but as I said, its nonsense. maybe if MS would integrate interof stuff more useable in time migration would be possible. but REAL vb6 programmers cannot abandon their existing projects. tell me, if a production plant works with vb6 applications for 10 years how can you convince them to start everything from strach ? how can you convince them to pay money "again. ?

even windows 12 will be released in 10 years, people will continue to use vb6 application even if they need to run XP in virtual machines.

I hope soon Ms or some third part company will produce some middle way to use both technology.

Spoke with someone at MS a few weeks ago, and although not on the VB team he stated that vb6 is just and old technology that cannot keep up with modern development needs. I asked him to expand, and I'm still waiting... I'm sure he will send a reply as soon as he can.

So lets look at what make vb6 OLD technology that is now obsolete.

1. VB6 code is interpreted/converted via/to c++ then compiled. Visual c++ is not obsolete, so why could we just not add what is needed to make it a modern language?

2. One of the big comebacks I always get is the VB6 is not true OO because of lack of inheritance. Well many very bright people don't think inheritance is such a great thing:http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/programming_books/thinking_in_java/TIJ308_006.htm

3.?? Please help me forum, what makes vb6 Obsolete, except the fact it is not in style?

I am really trying to justify the throwing away of vb6(and all the code we have written), but it seems to me, at least, that a little time spent on this language from MS would yield one of the most modern and powerful software ide's EVER! Taking the ease of code writing in basic and the huge amount of developers worldwide, and the power to compile natively via Visual c++. If the software development is meant to become easier and abstract complexity, THIS IS THE ANSWER VB+.

• Jerry Blakefield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still use VB6 for all my programming work. I would like to continue using it or something with an easy conversion of existing programs.

• Julvernas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did vote on that petition :) I liked a comment from there : "VB6 is independent, extremely fast, pleasant, and it has a cool syntax, on the other hand, VB. NET is addicted to the slow .NET framework and the executables are dependent on many external files. Please reintroduce Visual Basic 6.0 phoenix as it well says a new article on VB6."

• Eugênio Pacelli Salgado Canaan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Também estou triste e envergonhado de ver pessoas com poderes de administrador fazerem arbitrariedades como fizeram com a moça.

I am also sad and ashamed to see people empowered administrator, making arbitrary, as they did with the girl.

• VB6 Fire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Winston potgieter message is too good, I have to re-posted:

"Yes, it's really sad. MS has a bunch of vb6 programmers dedicated to continue to push their OS. Every copy of my software requires a new PC running windows, and yes we only sell a few thousand a year, but I'm sure there are many more like me.

I think 2014 will be the make or break year, someone will come up with a vb6 replacement or MS will bring back vb6 and save their OS. The choice is yours MS. I know it takes resources to pull it off, but the ball is in your court, and the decision you make could very well seal your fate!"

PAY ATTENTION MS!!!"

• Dudica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The name of the admin/user that banned Megan's acount is "Cor Ligthert". Cor Ligthert banned the acount due to his inability to cope with the conversation! shameful ! What's a guy like that does on MS site ?! shameful !

@jeffery carlson

VB .NET will never stick to the VB6 community ! this is the reality !

I am disgusted by the banning of Megan Winter's account on social.msdn.microsoft.com. She came with valid points for Visual Basic 6.0, too valid! And what the administrators do on a MICROSOFT site?! they erased the 60-70 valid comments ("Bring back Visual Basic 6.0 ! We all need it." issue) and banned the acount due to their inability to cope with the conversation! This is a disgrace for Microsoft! The admin that banned a perfect valid user like Megan Winter should not have access to this site !

I am disgusted by the banning of Megan Winter's account on social.msdn.microsoft.com. She came with valid points for Visual Basic 6.0, too valid! And what the administrators do on a MICROSOFT site?! they erased the 60-70 valid comments ("Bring back Visual Basic 6.0 ! We all need it." issue) and banned the acount due to their inability to cope with the conversation! This is a disgrace for Microsoft! The admin that banned a perfect valid user like Megan Winter should not have access to this site !

I am disgusted by the banning of Megan Winter's account on social.msdn.microsoft.com. She came with valid points for Visual Basic 6.0, too valid! And what the administrators do on a MICROSOFT site?! they erased the 60-70 valid comments and banned the acount due to their inability to cope with the conversation! This is a disgrace for Microsoft! The admin that banned a perfect valid user like Megan Winter should not have access to this site !

"Bring back Visual Basic 6.0 ! We all need it."

Yes, it's really sad. MS has a bunch of vb6 programmers dedicated to continue to push their OS. Every copy of my software requires a new PC running windows, and yes we only sell a few thousand a year, but I'm sure there are many more like me.

I think 2014 will be the make or break year, someone will come up with a vb6 replacement or MS will bring back vb6 and save their OS. The choice is yours MS. I know it takes resources to pull it off, but the ball is in your court, and the decision you make could very well seal your fate!

PAY ATTENTION MS!!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base