I suggest you ...

Silverlight 6

Please do work on Silverlight next version. I feel Silverlight is great tool which has best in cross development web experience. Although you guys are spending time on HTML5 and other stuffs, but I feel it takes years to bring HTML 5 is not flexible enough like Silverlight.

One more thing, as a Silverlight developer it was only my chance to replace flash from my projects, but as you guys stopped working on it; I feel that I wasted my time in learning Silverlight.

Do start working on Silverlight, Only this will get you back in increasing footprints in website business

15,565 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VIshal Patil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Silverlight support and future development work

While Microsoft continues to support Silverlight, and remains committed to doing so into 2021, there will be no new development work except security fixes and high-priority reliability fixes.

Silverlight out-of-browser apps will work in Windows 10. Silverlight controls and apps will continue to work in Internet Explorer until October 12, 2021, on down-level browsers and on the desktop.

Our support lifecycle policy for Silverlight remains unchanged:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Silverlight&Filter=FilterNO

As was stated in this blog post, the need for browser extensions including ActiveX controls and Browser Hosted Objects has been significantly reduced by the advances of HTML5-era capabilities which also produce interoperable code across browsers. On the web, plugin-based architectures, such as Silverlight, are moving towards modern open standards, such as HTML5, CSS and JavaScript which are supported on a wide variety of browsers and platforms.

For future development, we recommend modernizing Silverlight applications to HTML5 solutions which provide broader reach across platforms and browsers. In addition to the solutions listed in the blog post above, there is a free .NET Technology Guide eBook to help with migration planning located at: http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/E/16E9FC39-0D61-4DB8-AADE-9F6950B8BF49/Microsoft_Press_eBook_NET_Technology_Guide_for_Business_Applications.pdf

The Microsoft Team

691 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marc Roussel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous First, sorry if my English is bad, well the best for all, of course is a converter from Silverlight to HTML 5 which is PERFECT however we do not live in a perfect world. Meanwhile I suggest to vote here : http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/10027638-create-a-ubiquitous-net-client-application-develo

That's an ongoing effort to bring something out of Microsoft to help us make what we all dreamed off a while ago.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Marc Roussel has brought this to my attention from another comment he has made elsewhere (thanks btw!), well worth a look!: http://cshtml5.com/

Only down side is it looks like it won't really be robust enough until their 2017 release. But it's worth supporting them so they keep going!

• Christian Findlay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly, I don't grasp how Microsoft can be telling people that HTML 5 is a viable alternative to Silverlight. HTML 5/JavaScript are not even in the same ball park as Silverlight.

• Developers Win! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If anyone is interested, this vote has been added to the list of votes being watched that are requesting a .NET client application development model offering to be created by Microsoft. This list is tracked and reported with updated statistics every week.

Obviously, since this vote is closed, it will not be adding to the totals outside of its present count. However, its present count of 15,000+ votes (!) are nothing short of an impressive metric to highlight the demand of a ubiquitous .NET client application development model (which Silverlight was very close to being).

Along with 5 other votes that are related to creating a ubiquitous .NET client application model, it is responsible for a vote count totaling over 21,000 total votes at present.

You can see this week's report here:
        http://blog.developers.win/2015/12/weekly-vote-report-for-saturday-december-19-2015/

Future weekly reports will be found here:
        http://blog.developers.win/category/weekly-vote-reports/

Please feel free to visit and share. Thank you for your consideration and support!

I hope that Silverlight will be alive after 2021.
        HTM5, for Developer, you have to study a ton of technology.
        HTML, JavaScript, TypeScript, Jquery, Dojo, MVC ect.

as well as nowadays, the technologies upgrade frequently.
        Developers have to study variety of them.

I hope, one day, for developer, just coding, just considers code. not care C/S, B/S,android, IOS,Win phone.

Just using a platform or code to developer everything.

• Ray Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

15, 568 votes times $100 each makes, um, er, $1,556,800 Why don't we all put $100 into a pot and form Silverlode Inc., buy the Silverlight rights from Microsoft, and develop it and support it forever as our own? They don't want it but we do. Then we won't need them. Then we can develop it to suit us as DEVELOPERS and not them as MANAGERS?

• Le commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi All,
        If anybody interested please join me to develop a framework similar Silverlight. Let's call DiamondLight. We will provide an open source code and using Eclipse or any tool but not Visual studio. We will create ours own browser to run these applications and only registered application can run in this browser. This will reduce the risk that user open web sites with malicious code and harm their computer.

Microsoft, if you stop support in 2021 for Silverlight then our solution is simple, we stop upgrading Microsoft products and stay with Win10 or Win7 or WinXP until 2040 or as long as desired.

Our clients really don't care what OS version they run or what browser they use ... since silverlight OOB hides the browser they have no contact with it. What did Microsoft learn about WinXP? It still has 37% market share and is officially not support?

All you accomplish by abandoning Silverlight is reducing you market *********** because the harsh reality is what clients and end users have right now is more than good enough. You might want to "refresh" the executives that made this call to stop supporting Silverlight. As the video blog going way back to 2011 from the lead PM for Silverlight ... it was a rash decision poorly conceived and a decision based on executive self interest NOT a decision that is good for Microsoft "the company".

If you don't need developers then we sure as heck don't need Microsoft ... it's a two way street.

Additionally, this vote has been referenced in a blog post, where its resulting guidance to "use HTML5" has been analyzed to show that it is not only technically deficient and divisive, but also expensive for the .NET developers and organizations that Microsoft is supposed to serve. This post is part of a series that also shows that this harmful guidance affects Microsoft shareholders as it ultimately takes away developers from the Windows Store (which is a revenue driver @ $19/developer, $99/company):
        http://blog.developers.win/2015/10/the-broken-burned-bridge/

We as developers have asked for the wrong thing, that is "Silverlight 6." This has brought a lot of misconceptions and baggage. What we really want is a ubiquitous .NET client application development model offering like what Silverlight provided. A new vote has been created here clearly outlining what this would look like: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/10027638-create-a-ubiquitous-net-client-application-develo

You guys just don't get it. You had the best and then let someone talk you out of it.

• birbilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

note that OOB apps don't work anymore as expected, since some security patch made them not be able to open browser pages anymore!

It's not better, it's different. in a very few words, SILVERLIGHT vs HTML is simply this :

Silverlight is easy, fast and fun to develop. All you need to know is XAML and C# and a very good tool to develop UI called Blend
        HTML is easy and slow to develop. Everything you need to know is HTML, JavaScript JQuery, Razor, (MVC) CSS and perhaps for certain people TypeScript and a lot of going back and forth between these and the masses of libraries needed as well as no real tool for UI except pieces of things on the web.

Welcome to the 21th century :)

Microsoft guy, I really doubt your all intelligence, Front end has 2 kinds, one for Enterprise application like ERP as inner use within company, other is for website front end-w3. you can let use choose by themselves which one is suitable for their own situation.

actually, we are saying the Enterprise application like ERP's front end, Siliverlight is better

• James Parsons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sigh, do you not already have an angry hoard of VB6 developers coming at you. I am beginning to believe Microsoft genuinely does not care about their developers. First VB6, then Silverlight, Now LightSwitch and VB.Net. How many more products will you kill off?

• noel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the one key statement regarding compatibility and reliability is the only one that concerns me about the silverlight plugin. currently, no functionality nor recognition as a valid plugin within Firefox developer edition (64 bit) is placing the silverlight in a very bad light as it is currently unusable and therefore a source of frustration to the end-user as well as the developer wishing to use it, as well as the technicians supporting the applications that use it.

• Philippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an alternative ?

What about XBAP (XAML Browser Application) ? Is it still supported ? Until when ?

What about ClickOnce ? Is it supported on Windows 10 / Visual Studio 2015 ?

The original way ... was to use web browsers to bypass operating systems problems and also to deliver a uniform approach of application releases deployment...

Should we now return to Client/Server apps ... to bypass web browsers problems ?
        Could we use UWP apps without Windows Store, and with a way to be sure that deployed apps are up-to-date ?

Well here I'm after all these years of Silverlight development to redo all the apps of all the customers which already paid a lot for SL developments now they have to pay again to convert their apps. I'm in the middle of converting a BIG one and I'll have to do it 4 times and believe me, HTML 5, JS and CSS aren't really friendly when time comes to do CLIENT-SERVER apps since C# on both sides was so easy and fast and reliable now it's a mess of JS, CSS, HTML RAZOR, AJAX and C# oh my God it's a pain converting SL.

I have a lot of work to do for unhappy customers believe me.

Feedback and Knowledge Base