I suggest you ...

Silverlight 6

Please do work on Silverlight next version. I feel Silverlight is great tool which has best in cross development web experience. Although you guys are spending time on HTML5 and other stuffs, but I feel it takes years to bring HTML 5 is not flexible enough like Silverlight.

One more thing, as a Silverlight developer it was only my chance to replace flash from my projects, but as you guys stopped working on it; I feel that I wasted my time in learning Silverlight.

Do start working on Silverlight, Only this will get you back in increasing footprints in website business

15,565 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    VIshal Patil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Silverlight support and future development work

While Microsoft continues to support Silverlight, and remains committed to doing so into 2021, there will be no new development work except security fixes and high-priority reliability fixes.

Silverlight out-of-browser apps will work in Windows 10. Silverlight controls and apps will continue to work in Internet Explorer until October 12, 2021, on down-level browsers and on the desktop.

Our support lifecycle policy for Silverlight remains unchanged:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Silverlight&Filter=FilterNO

As was stated in this blog post, the need for browser extensions including ActiveX controls and Browser Hosted Objects has been significantly reduced by the advances of HTML5-era capabilities which also produce interoperable code across browsers. On the web, plugin-based architectures, such as Silverlight, are moving towards modern open standards, such as HTML5, CSS and JavaScript which are supported on a wide variety of browsers and platforms.

For future development, we recommend modernizing Silverlight applications to HTML5 solutions which provide broader reach across platforms and browsers. In addition to the solutions listed in the blog post above, there is a free .NET Technology Guide eBook to help with migration planning located at: http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/E/16E9FC39-0D61-4DB8-AADE-9F6950B8BF49/Microsoft_Press_eBook_NET_Technology_Guide_for_Business_Applications.pdf

The Microsoft Team

691 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • charliebear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Silverlight 5 beats HTML5/JavaScript for any serious business application. Try creating a real-time inventory control system that interfaces with an order entry system in HTML5/JavaScript and I'll be on the beach with a completed product in production 3 times faster and twice as reliable! If you want a ecommerce site with little user interaction (other than clicking or pointing) then HTML is fine but for serious business oriented web apps where the user wants to have a snappy/friendly "Windows app" experience then it Silverlight 5 period.

• ConnorsFan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I develop and maintain fat client applications for Windows and Mac users. Silverlight is the perfect tool for that. It may be the most productive technology that I have worked with so far (since 1984). I hope it will keep improving!

• Kirill Prokopenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HTML5 is a joke. There is no way it can replace Silverlight in fat client apps.

Silverlight is an incarnation of usability, power and awesomeness. Please continue doing your great job on working on a new version of this sent-down-from-Heavens product!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Silverlight is great platform you have developed guys; i think you should work on parser for Silverlight to HTML5 which could be execute on all platform; but you should not stop work on Silveright.

• Lennart Svensson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that Microsoft should keep continue with Silverlight 6. Html 5 will end up with the same browser **** as the other versions did.

• Andre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do a next release of Silverlight.. Or make it Open Source for enterprise applications!

• dino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need silverlight please go on... especially for smooth streaming...

• cml commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WPF, WCF, Silverlight, Metro and other that abandonware from Microsoft.
        Massive waste of time.

I think silverlight is best choice for programming Lob applications. also I wish Microsoft deploy that for execute on all OS and devices(Linux,android,iOS ans so on). HTML5 is not absolutely for Lob application.

you guys can see most microsoft's technologies will discarded after it born serval years in the past twenty years.
        silverlight and wpf and metro won't exception.
        So better don't use Microsoft's private technology that not open sourced, otherwis it maybe waste you many years time to redevelop it after microsoft discard it.
        Now, web is the future, and only microsoft's asp.net mvc technology is worth learning, because it is open source and asp.net mvc can work on mono.

• Anton Kutepov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently HTML5 can't provide anything near the Silverlight capabilities for enterprise development aside from HTML5+JS performance problems. And the idea of Web Presentation Foundation is excellent, please, don't ruin it.

• Tyler Schacht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone keeps throwing out HTML 5 as the answer. It may eventually get there, but it still has a long way to go. Silverlight is the only current solution to take a .net WPF desktop application and easily convert it to a web-based application that runs on windows and mac. HTML 5 has nothing even remotely close to Expression Blend for building MVVC applications in a visual environment.

• James McKay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is Apple's current attitude towards Silverlight? As far as I could tell, the main reason why Silverlight failed to gain traction was that it was blocked (as was Flash) from running on the iPhone/iPad. That being the case, it's really been out of Microsoft's hands, hence the current focus on HTML 5 and JavaScript etc.

Feedback and Knowledge Base