I suggest you ...

XNA 5

Please continue to work on XNA. It's a great way for indie game developers like myself to make games and give them to the world. XNA gave us the ability to put our games, easily, on the most popular platforms, and to just dump XNA would be therefor heartbreaking... I implore you to keep working on XNA so we C# developers can still make amazing games!

23,672 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Charles JacksonCharles Jackson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Ole WarrinkOle Warrink shared a merged idea: Waiting for XNA AGAIN  ·   · 

Back in 2013, we announced that XNA 4.0 would be the last release of the XNA framework. We thank all of you who used XNA in your games, and we’re humbled by the number of you who want an XNA 5.0! However, XNA 5.0 is not something we’ll be developing.

We know that many of you want to use cross-platform engines to build your games and deploy them in all the places that gamers care about – Xbox, Windows, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, iOS, Android and more. Now, there is an amazing ecosystem of game frameworks and engines that support building games on Windows and across all platforms.

If you are looking to port your existing XNA game to Windows 10 UWP, please explore the MonoGame framework, which is an open-source, cross-platform implementation of XNA, supporting Windows 10 UWP and a variety of other platforms. If you are looking to build a cross-platform game using C#, .NET and Visual Studio, you can explore Unity, a powerful 3D and 2D game creation tool and ecosystem. Unreal Engine 4 and Cocos2d are also great options for building cross-platforms games using Visual Studio.

In addition, if your game was built with XNA and previously worked on Windows or Windows Phone, it will continue to work.

http://www.monogame.net/downloads/
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/universal-windows-10-apps.html
    https://www.unrealengine.com/
    http://www.cocos2d-x.org/

385 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • K FenK Fen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

xna5 good, Monogame good, unity and unreal or any editor centered graphics engine, bad. Too much cross platformism, bad. Platformism limited to Windows, good.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They just bought LinkedIn (which most people know only by spamming their mailboxes with random invites) for 26 billions (!!!!!!), yet they couldnt throw in a few millions to keep on developing a unique jewel like XNA with lots fans amongst developers, schools, hobbyists, etc. Way to go MS, way to go !!!

• ManuelManuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Visual Studio,

Why don't you include DirectX in the list of options to use? It is, after all, Microsoft's proprietary framework for games and other multimedia applications.

Just so you know, DirectX works GREAT for Windows 10 UWP, the migration from XNA is rather straight forward, and I have the published games to prove it.

• Joao Jose Salgado SerraJoao Jose Salgado Serra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree xna is obsolete.

i do not agree that theres some engine to replace it.

Unreal and Unity were made for 3d games. I'm currently using Coco2s / Cocosharp with Xamarin and i may say the project seems to die in the last months.

I did not try monogame yet.

• Matthias VoigtMatthias Voigt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the quick answer. After having time thinking about, I think your decision is right. MonoGame became really good in the last 3 years so it is a very good replacement for xna and combined with xamarin perfect for all platforms.
        I suggest, like Mikhail Barg, publishing the XNA source to help the MonoGame dev team to improve their solution. Thank you!

• Mikhail BargMikhail Barg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given the "Declined" status is set, there's no use asking for continuing of development again. Could you open source the XNA sources then?

• Tommaso ScaliciTommaso Scalici commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice, this is the good choice. XNA is too obsolete and not cross-platform. Now there are plenty of engines and framework that work very well with C# and .NET Framework, there's no more need to invest resources in XNA.
        I'll also want to bring to your attention the Xenko Game Engine (http://xenko.com), a brand new engine (free and open-source, for now) built on top of SharpDX and .NET Framework.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please continue to work on XNA. It's a great way for indie game developers like myself to make games and give them to the world.

• Charon TywyllwchCharon Tywyllwch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. XNA FTW. Common Microsoft, DirectX is not elegant, it's bellow your aesthetical standards. I want to be able to write beautiful C# code into a full fledged game.

• birbilisbirbilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be considered XNA 5 for sure if/when they release MonoGame Tools for Visual Studio (extension)

• Zack BellowZack Bellow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MonoGame is the successor to XNA. It contains the same namespaces, APIs, ect... and maintained by Xamarin which is now apart of Microsoft. of course. Technically, that could be considered XNA 5.

• Shaun TonstadShaun Tonstad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MonoGame has an excellent content pipeline. This is what was holding me back from using it. I now have my MonoGame project working on XB1 developer mode. I can finally put my heartfelt longing for XNA to rest. RIP XNA -- you were once great and your life was cut tragically short.

• Brian CliftonBrian Clifton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having Microsoft help out with MonoGame would kick *** :) It's a great framework and there's always room for improvement

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Feedback and Knowledge Base