I suggest you ...

Make CodeLens Available Outside of Ultimate

CodeLens is one of the most existing new features in Visual Studio 2013. Restricting it to Ultimate is a mistake. Make this available to at least Premium, and to Professional if at all possible!

3,534 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Harold shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

168 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andy Sutorius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see Microsoft move to two flavors of Visual Studio, Express and Pro, where Express is free and limited in functionality and Pro costs $500, yet it contains all functionality Ultimate has in it.

• David North commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion, CodeLens is the ONLY reason I would consider a change from Premium to Ultimate -- but the cost is simply to significant. I really hope a third-party like JetBrains fills the void with a similar, competing feature.

• Froufrou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be in VS Premium at least in my opinion. To differentiate between SKUs you could have some options that are available only in ultimate but at least tests / references indicators should be widely available across SKUs.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the oddest decision.. This is like inventing a great way to make better gourmet food, but installing it in the Managers office, not the kitchen.

• Adam Maurer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bleh. If you do not want to make it available to 'every day developers' (e.g. by keeping it in the ultimate sku), then perhaps provide a way for 'every day developers' a way to purchase the feature?

• Tonni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Code Lens is a great new feature but since it right now only is available to Ultimate users few have the opportunity to take advantage of it. And it does not weigh up the cost of upgrading users to Ultimate. Since it is a tool that many would find useful please make it available for at least Premium users

• Paul Webber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is unfortunate that MSFT decided to decline. Some developers work as consultants and do not have the luxury of working with large companies with budgets all the time. This could be a good learning tool. Poor decision.

Yep, CodeLens is a dev tool. Should be available to developers not using Ultimate... Good 3rd party opportunity to build it though.

• Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

huh^^ wait..i dont get the point

codelens is a feature which is targeted to improve team development?

Ultimate is a SKU mostly for architects, senior lead devs etc.

codelens only makes sense if the whole team make use of it.

which company uses ultimate for all its developers?

If you say the TFS part of codelens is only available for an Ultimate TFS, than fine. But for all clients?

anyway bad decision :(

Ultimate cost more. A lot more. They need SOMETHING to make it worth the money. If not this then what?

What an awful decision...way to go Microsoft. Oh well, I'm sure some extension from Telerik or Jetbrains will pop-up someday.

• Craig Kennedy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Boo...

Is this something that anyone sees opening up (even by other vendors) since Roslyn is now open source?

Feedback and Knowledge Base