I suggest you ...

Remove the requirment for Internet Explorer 10 to be installed first prior to VS 2013

So our corporate standard is IE9 and this is fine up through VS2012 but now I find trying to install VS2013 on a test machine that it requires IE10 and no way around this. MS seems determined to force the latest changes on developers for no good reason, it now seems to all about revolution and not evolution. Why on earth do we need the latest version of a browser to use Visual Studio 2013. Seriously guys stop beating on the people who write the software that makes the MS software ecosystem work.

416 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Colin BlakeyColin Blakey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Visual Studio UV Site AdminAdminVisual Studio UV Site Admin (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

I’m pleased to say that today we’ve updated Visual Studio 2013 installers to enable VS 2013 to be installed on Windows 7 machines running IE8 or IE9. Visual Studio 2013 still works best with IE10 or higher, and you’ll need to have that on your machine in order to get the full experience for some scenarios. We’ve updated knowledge base (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=330043) with the details on specific VS2013 experiences that require IE10. Today’s update impacts only the VS2013 setup; no changes have been made to Visual Studio itself, so if you have it installed already, there’s nothing you need to do. However, if you were previously unable to install Visual Studio 2013 due to IE system requirements, you can now re-launch setup from our download page (http://aka.ms/getvs)
    or MSDN subscriber downloads (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/).

Thanks to our UserVoice community for all your feedback and patience as we strive to make Visual Studio 2013 the best developer tool yet!

Steve Teixeira
    Visual Studio Team

53 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MBFSMBFS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just downloaded the 11/18/2013 release of VS2013 Professional from MSDN. Setup still requires IE10. Not really sure what MS is thinking (or publishing)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is internet explorer a requirment anyway whis is just as bad as the recent Google+ to you tube. now i understand there maybe a deep meaning full purpose but i can almost guarantee it is as valid as a DRM argument. Beside the point of hat if it is a valid point that the architecture requires IE 10 then why was it built this way so more people are forced to use it?

The problem has not been resolved. We have just downloaded the ultimate version from MSDN and the dependency on IE10 is still there. Are we missing something?

This is utter BS, pathetic how they try to force you to use their pathetic excuse for a browser. Probably the only way they will get people to actually it.

• SeanSean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've downloaded the latest Visual Studio Premium 2013 iso from MSDN subscriptions download,
        en_visual_studio_premium_2013_x86_dvd_3175275.iso

I still get the 'Setup Blocked' dialog with the message 'This version of Visual Studio requires Internet Explorer 10..'?

Are there some other requirements or KB's that I'm still missing?

I wonder who in Microsoft VS team approve this kind of depencies. I am sure they are clever bunch but they do need to apply common sence. For IE, I would never use IE as browser partly becouse of rediculus versioning (5,6,7,...n). NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR VERSIONS. Learn MS from FF and Chrome....Such a shame

• John ReillyJohn Reilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to add my voice to the throng: our enterprise is on IE 9 with no plans to move to IE 10 at all. Many fellow enterprise developers I know are still supporting IE 8 and will be for the forseeable future - not through choice I might add.

If Microsoft want to reduce the uptake of newer versions of Visual Studio then this is just the way to go about it.

I'm sad - I want the new hotness. Please fix!

Ditto. Our corporate environment mandates IE9 and will for quite some time to come. Just make it work with IE9 and save the marketing hype for non-developers, please.

• Rick WrightRick Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Install IE 10. Install VS 2013. Uninstall IE 10 through the Control Panel View installed updates.
        Use Chrome or FireFox for HTML 5 issues. Works for me.

• 2013RequiresIE102013RequiresIE10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just ********. I went through the trouble of getting 2013 and I cant even use it....................

WTF

My network uses IE8, and MIGHT switch to IE9. NOT 10. Way to go asshats

• Derek PatonDerek Paton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I have requirements to use VS2013 and the InRelease integration in some thing we'd really like to look into. However, like many others, we're locked into IE9!

I get the fact that you want to use improved HTML5 functionality but there needs to be soem flexibility. Having said that, I guess if you released VS2013 with reduced functionality with <IE10 then you would have also gotten a lot of grief from us! :-)

Thanks,

• another kick in the ballsanother kick in the balls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's quite bad for a website to have such requirements on the browser, but for a desktop application to have a minimum browser version like that? That's fukced up!

I'm on IE8, because that's the lowest that my clients use (for browsing, I haven't used IE since v5). If different versions of IE didn't render so differently, then this wouldn't have been an issue.

Once, the IE disaster was only a problem for web developers. Now desktop developers are also suffering!

And people say Linux is tricky to use?

• Eliyahu Peter KornfeldEliyahu Peter Kornfeld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without changing my opinion, that to turn code dependency (means the need for specific functionality) into application dependency is a band - and dangerous - idea, I can tell that I was able install VS2013 with no IE10 - and for the last month or so everything worked perfectly (I'm in web form applications + web services)

• JimmyJimmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

no problem Greg glad to help. Sorry for the rant just was surprised no one thought of trying to workaround instead of complaining.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base