I suggest you ...

CodeLens for C++

Make CodeLens available for C++ projects. One cannot deny that C++ is one of the most widely used programming language in the world, and very code intensive software is written in C++, e.g. operating systems or games. Visual Studio should provide CodeLens for C++, so that large groups of developers have a better possibility to review and test code.

315 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello and thank you for the suggestion. We plan to eventually support CodeLens for C++. How that will work remains under discussion, as there are some performance implications to consider, particularly for the “Find All References” aspect of the feature. Since we require running candidates through the IntelliSense compiler to successfully validate references, C++ code by its nature is more tricky and slower to build than .NET code, and the existing CodeLens experience requires all this to work in real-time on multiple functions at once, it’s something we need to be careful with.

We will keep you posted once we have a more definitive plan. Thank you for helping us build a better Visual Studio!

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ajay Vijayvargiya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CodeLens is only partially supported for C++. It must be supported for source code view. C# has log of auto-generated code, C++ has mostly hand-written code by humans, and hence view within text editor is more demanded for C++.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is needed for C++, now I can see it in my C# projects I miss it in C++.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I know Microsofts focus is on C#, but for cross-platform-compatibility I have to use C++, which I enjoy a lot, but isn't the topic here. I would LOVE and by love I mean LOVE codelens to be available in c++. It's just too awesome and useful for staying in flow and not get distracted.

• Simon Geard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In terms of lines of code we have, using a Goldilocks analogy:

C++ = daddy bear
        Fortran = mummy bear
        C# = baby bear

New code is written in all three languages so C++ would be (by far) the most beneficial.

Feedback and Knowledge Base