I suggest you ...

Support Sql Server Compact in Visual Studio 2013

please bring back visual studio 2013 tools for sql server compact and improvement capebilities of tools and sql server compact. please add trigger and prosedual sql feature to sql server compact. over milion application data stored in sql server compact database and need continue supporting this tools

1,716 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mojtaba KavianiMojtaba Kaviani shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

105 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mahdimahdi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello;
        How can i use sql server compact edition in visual studio 2013? i have installed sql server compact edition and VS.2013 on my pc but i cant see that sql in my server explorer window.
        please help me

• DaveBoltmanDaveBoltman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ben D. Dailey, I agree. But maybe we should all just move to SQLite instead, since Microsoft has shown their middle finger to their own product (and to us, their customers who use(d) it)

I have updated my vote to the maximum of 3 votes

• Ben D. DaileyBen D. Dailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an extremely useful database and I have a huge project that utilizes compact sql server and has been using it for 8 years now. The specifications of the project called for a portable database and SQL Compact edition was the answer. I have been using it since 2.0. Please PLEASE Do not drop support of this product.

• Steve RSteve R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the other comments that say SSCE is a great solution for many tried and true as well as future apps and should thus be supported in VS, in my case VS Express 2013. I discovered the outage via an error message when trying to use the DataSet Designer to make a table change.

• Soran SinghSoran Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really too hard to use SQL CE 4.0 with Visual Studio Community 2015 in comparison to VS 2010. Not a single data designer is supporting SQL CE 4.0 database in VS 2015. I have to hard code data connection string in data source every time and even you can`t test your SQL query or even establish a connection. So what is purpose of dropping the data tool support for SQL CE 4? It is far better to use Visual Studio 2010. Every one can`t afford SQL Server or any other database. If I have to develop some data application for mobile, what is option left for us in Visual Studio 2015 by Microsoft? this is a basic need of so many developers to bring back SQL CE data tools for VS 2015. Single third party tool (ErikEJ) is inadequate to serve purpose of many developers till VS server explorer does not support data connections for SQLCE. It will a boon to small developers if Microsoft can bring back SQL CE Tools for VS 2015.

• ChristianChristian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First you stop support for MS Jet usign mdb files.
        Then you stopped support for SQL CE using SDF files.
        So what is the alternative DB for small desktop Apps?

Please bring back support or continue support for SQL CE. it was easy to use DB for desktop Apps. A migration to SQLlite seems to be the only workaround.

• DaveBoltmanDaveBoltman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Visual Source Safe was born handicapped and deserved to die. Silverlight is terminally ill. SQL VARDECIMAL storage born 2005, died 2008. Zune (what?) is in an unmarked grave. Nokia phones are being embraced, extended and extin.. (choke aargh)

But SQL CE on the other hand, is healthy, vital and strong. Now you wanna give it the lethal injection? How's your head, MS?

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Microsoft depreceates something so valueable, then it should explain, why and what is the long term strategy behind it. If Microsoft thinks, that there are much better alternatives in the market today, then they should point out, which ones are better today. For example, to kick Silverlight was clear to everybody, years before the official kick came.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Microsoft should offer at least 2 DB systems: SQL Server/Express for the corporate market and a serverless DB for small desktop application. I am asking you: Who wants a desktop application, that installs a DB server on a normal Windows client or a phone? That is absurd.

Bring back SQL Server Compact!

In an super ideal world, the Entity Framework 6.x would support SQL Server and SQL Compact, so that you just had to change the connection string, to point to one of these DBs.

• Burak AktayBurak Aktay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NuGet has Entity Framwork for Compact 4.0 but when added old connection string format does not work. Interface for sqldatasource connectionstring has changed. I could not get it to work with VS2013 FW4.5. What happened to Microsofts backward compatibility principals?

• OxibaOxiba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really it is disappointing, It would certainly leverage the uses of SQL LITE and other open alternatives.
        Let´s bring back the Compact SQL, please!

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I am in the middle of a big project using VS2013 where I need to store a few hundred records of organised data - Yes I thought, SQL Compact/CE, as everything is bundled into the app and when the time comes its an easy migrate to SQLServer. It uses almost the same T-SQL we know, has almost the same database schema capabilities, and your could open it up in SQL management studio. Why remove something that gives the developer an easy migration route to SQL Server.

Until we have this I have no choice but to drop back to VS2010, or look for another product that provides a fully self contained database ability. Who knows - if I find an alternative I like I may just decide to drop the SQL server integration within all our systems.

• GeorgeGeorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes.... I loved that was easy to deploy and all of a customers data was in one file. I've seen professional programming teams that I managed struggle to get SQL proper to install, uninstall and reinstall properly on many customer equipment. Which made very expensive to buy tool a pain in the #@%$. I've seen small developers struggle with many customers having problems with MS Jet databases. MS finally got it right with SQL CE..... so naturally the next thing they do is to mess it up. I'd rather roll back my dev tools and not use the latest VS rather than go away from using SQLCE. In fact, I'm done wasting time with this and proceeding to uninstall the latest VS right now. Fools!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base