I suggest you ...

Open source Roslyn

Roslyn is a fantastic project and we are looking forward for its release. Unfortunately, it seems that by design, the project is not going to provide any plugin infrastructure/extension points for the parser.

Fully open-sourcing the whole Roslyn Project would allow lots of people to learn its compiler architecture, to experiment new language constructions, develop custom DSL on top of C# or even contribute to the future of C#/VB. For example, the Typescript language has taken this route and it seems so far a great success.

In the era of LLVM/Clang where compiler pipelines are fully accessible and modifiable, having a front-end compiler completely open-source for C#/VB would have an undoubtedly positive impact for the whole community, from academic to enterprise usages...

Please, open-source Roslyn, that will be a tremendous step forward, open wide opportunities and a true way to empower us!

1,351 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    xoofx shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hannes Kochniß commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wouldn't even bring the "extend the language" argument up, that is probably one of the main reasosn they wouldn't opensource it.. fragmentation of the ecosystem via forking a language is _always_ a bad thing in itself, esp. when the fork has no chance of survival. Sure, you could just use it "in-house", but it's certainly a concern for them, I could imagine.

Typescript had to be opensourced in the light of the javascript ecosystem. It's not like codeplex hosting + the difficulties of writing a (hopefully GC-free and perf-test covered) language service would make pull request more likely. The same with Roslyn. The real benefit lies for the acceptance and port to Mono, as well as faster movement towards Testing-as-a-service. And, of course, for knowledge/fixes/improvements from the community, which are more unlikely, given the pain and manhours and the rigorous testsuite they invested in.

Anyhow, please opensource Roslyn anyways. The main reason in my view is tickling of the knowledge into the community, so Testing-as-a-service and other necccesary ecosystem developments get accelerated.

• damianh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3 from me if I had any votes left.

(I don't expect I'll ever see my votes returned)

• Nathan Jervis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do hope they consider this. It'd be nice if the community could add support for features they desired, and help microsoft build new features in the language.

Not too mention the fact that someone would inevitably make sure it ran on any OS out there, and we could have a standard compiler across any system.

Even without it being open sourced, I'm still going to see what I can do about extending the syntax. There are some operators that I'd love to have supported, some of them are coming out with C# 6 (like the .? operator), but some aren't.

Actually I just really hope that it gets released as soon as possible. I really want to play around with it.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Roslyn isn't Open Source then I sadly will never be able to use its features as it wouldn't be cross platform.

Feedback and Knowledge Base