I suggest you ...

Make code editors more awesome with delimited column selection

Currently, if you alt-drag in a code editor, you can select a rectangular area of text. I propose that if you ctrl-alt-drag, you select jagged columns of text delimited by spaces. This idea was inspired by the way Excel's TextToColumns feature lets you choose between fixed width and delimited.

If ctrl-alt is not practical for some reason, an alternative would be an editor mode (similar to word wrap mode). In addition to spaces, it would great to be able to configure several other characters to act as delimiters, such as semicolons, angle brackets, and curly braces.

(The attached file is an animated gif that shows how delimited column selection compares with regular/rectangular column selection.)

0 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    devuxer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the approach from Sublime Text (https://www.sublimetext.com/).

In short, among other things, you can "grow the cursor" through a number of lines (vertically) and continue typing whatever you want. It's an impressive feature. You can see this in one of the 'animations' in their home page.

Feedback and Knowledge Base