I suggest you ...

Give some love to the Visual Studio Gallery

Visual Studio Gallery serves thousands of Visual Studio users every day.

As a developer of Visual Studio extensions (and other tools), I'd love to see the Gallery receiving some of the love that the .NET tools and frameworks enjoy.

In particular (but in no particular order):

1. Spruce up the Gallery - the site could use some freshening up, making it a bit more up to date with regards to technology
2. Provide a public API (REST?) for interacting with the gallery: uploading extensions, querying the download count, getting information about a particular package, etc.
3. Support Markdown in the Description editor
4. Provide a way to get analytics and additional metadata about how users are downloading the extensions
5. Provide an easy way to get older versions of the extension, possibly with how NuGet implements its package listings, support SemVer for extensions
6. Additional extension information fields: License, project/company URL, source code link (if available)

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I've got for now.

Thanks!

128 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Igal TabachnikIgal Tabachnik shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re delighted to report that we’ve “given some love” to the Visual Studio gallery, and this week we launched the first preview of the new Visual Studio Marketplace, which unites extensions for Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, and Visual Studio Team Services into a single portal. We paid good attention to the suggestions in this page, and we’ll be continuing to enhance the Marketplace in upcoming phases to add still more features.

At this stage, we’re marking this suggestion as “completed” since the Marketplace is now the default place to go for new extensions, but we covet new suggestions that identify features or areas that require even more love.

Thanks so much for your feedback! Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David FerrettiDavid Ferretti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will we be able to publish VS IDE extensions to the Marketplace through an api, possibly using the tfx-cli like with VSTS extensions?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also add the ability to have a change log for a extension. When I want to update an extension, I would like to know what's changed.

• Terje SandstrømTerje Sandstrøm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

7. Add possibility to subscribe to notifications from any given extension
        8. Add possibility for multiple owners (like nuget have). This eases maintenance for open source project with multiple owners.

• MatijaMatija commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't upvote this enough.

In addition to CI use-case, it would be of great help to be able to access the gallery from command line (similar to chocolatey or nuget), so that when a developer provisions a dev environment from a base box (e.g. using Vagrant) s/he can automate installation of any desired extensions.

• Darrell TunnellDarrell Tunnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I had to choose just 1 thing that would make the biggest positive impact to me as an extension author.. it would be exposing an API to manage extensions (i,e upload newer versions etc). This is crucial for automated build / publishing workflows - especially when using CI tools such as Team City etc.

• Igal TabachnikIgal Tabachnik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also please opensource the gallery (or, at least, the API), so private galleries could be hosted in house, for CI purposes.

Feedback and Knowledge Base