Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please make multiple code highlighting and selection a native part of visual studio

Take a look at what the plugin Emmet in Sublime Text 2/3 does, and try and implement that natively for visual studio.

More importantly is the ability to have multiple highlighting and text manipulation like in native Sublime Text 2/3. Right now there is a plugin that mediocrily does the job, but it is far from there. This plugin is called MixEdit

Check this out for a small feel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czQipWJA8EU

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • There may be a future that when ever user mouse over any bracket it should display the line number of closing bracket and vise versa.

There may be a future that when ever user mouse over any bracket (start / close) it should display the line number of closing / start bracket and vise versa.

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Modify the language to allow for observable properties rather than requiring explicit INPC

Something more like:

public observable int Foo { get; set; }

Rather than having to do all the manual event raising required by INotifyPropertyChanged

1,280 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          4 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Ability to jump or go to next and previous comments in a TFS code review

I would like the ability to jump or go to next and previous comments in a TFS code review.

If there are lots of files in a TFS code review, the comments may not be visible in email notifications for example, and so the user must open the code review and find the new comment by scrolling.

Having the ability to automatically jump to the next comment would help make it easier to find comments.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Allow us to repair specific components of Visual Studio

Repairing Visual Studio takes a long time. It would be a lot faster if we could repair only selected components.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Make Visual Studio Accessible

There are certainly indications that Microsoft has put efforts into accessibility.

However, it seems like about 95% of MS programmers give it no thought.

For example, I'm unable to import settings into VS 2015 - the import option is not visible on the dialog.

Perhaps there's some way around this (either for importing specifically, or for "truncate dialogs", generally), of which I'm unaware.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Increase height of list box in Export Settings Wizard (it's absurd)

In the Export Settings Wizard, one selects settings to be exported.

The list, when expanded, is perhaps 25 items (maybe more, maybe less).

However, (at least for VS2013, and with my Windows settings), only THREE lines are visible at a time (which may be less than 3 items, due to nesting).

It's tedious and difficult to even scroll and not miss entries.

Yet, there is plenty of wasted window "real-estate". The listbox (the only control, other than "next" and "cancel" buttons) occupies perhaps 20% of the window height.

It strikes me as ludicrous.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • 1) Allow Visual Studio to export only Fonts and Colors (I want to xfer from 2013 to 2015)

It seems absurd to me that I can't export just my fonts and colors preferences.

I can't even tell which sub-category of "General Settings" the fonts and colors fall under - none seem applicable.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Add navigate to the file in the solution tree menu item (command).

On the right click menu on the file tab add a menu item that will navigate to the open file in the tree. Many times I have the code file open but need to find the file in the tree. Having a menu item that says "Find in solution tree" or something such as that would save a lot of time.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Roll updates together in the Visual Studio installer

Had four updates in a row to VS2015 that were all using the Visual Studio installer to install their update and was left wondering if the Visual Studio installer could be could be made a little bit smarter to include an "Install All Updates" option or similar way to pass all of the updates shown in VS Extensions and Update that use the VS Installer to all install at once in the VS Installer. Particularly since the VS Installer always seems to suggest closing out Visual Studio before kicking off an install, with four updates it felt particularly strange to…

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Enable IntelliTest to generate input test parameters from runtime or Intellitrace data.

It would save a ton of time if IntelliTest could automatically generate realistic test parameter values from runtime usage. I envision running the application in some 'IntelliTest' mode which could then inspect Intellitrace data, or some other data store, and then create tests based on the inputs received during the run.

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Make C#/Visual Basic- Silverlight export output as HTML 5 canvas + javascript + CSS!!!! [Adobe Flash Pro exports to HTML 5 canvas!!]

Why Microsoft doesn't include something in Visual Studio that will let developers program an application in C#/VB -Silverlight (XAMLExpression Blend) and export the app as HTML5 canvas + javascript CSS.... basically like Adobe Flash Pro is doing with their product by allowing the options to create HTML 5 canvas output!!! Do you know that adobe is so focus on this that if you open Flash Pro and click new project the first options that shows up is .. output as HTML 5 canvas!!!

The reason: PRODUCTIVITY It takes a fraction of the time and effort to create the same application…

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Make C#/Visual Basic- Silverlight export output as HTML 5 canvas + javascript + CSS!!!! [Adobe Flash Pro exports to HTML 5 canvas!!]

Why Microsoft doesn't include something in Visual Studio that will let developers program an application in C#/VB -Silverlight (XAMLExpression Blend) and export the app as HTML5 canvas + javascript CSS.... basically like Adobe Flash Pro is doing with their product by allowing the options to create HTML 5 canvas output!!! Do you know that adobe is so focus on this that if you open Flash Pro and click new project the first options that shows up is .. output as HTML 5 canvas!!!

The reason: PRODUCTIVITY It takes a fraction of the time and effort to create the same application…

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Bring back Product Key licensing for Visual Studio

With the release of Visual Studio 2015, I no longer have access to Visual Studio 2015 Product Keys as I did with earlier releases of Visual Studio which makes managing the instances of Visual Studio on my development machines very troublesome. If I have an entire development server farm set up, I have to go in and log into each one of my machines individually to re-activate these licenses. Minimally, at least being able to manage licenses through a KMS Server would at least alleviate this licensing problem of having to constantly reactive with my Windows Live ID every 30…

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • 1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Generic this

Please add support for a generic 'this', to use in (generic / abstract) types or interfaces.

The "this" would reflect the current type and is used as an generic constraint. This would create new cool possibilities with C#.

For example, the `ICloneable` interface has one method (Clone), which returns an `Object`. This is undesirable because:

- We need to cast the result (most of the times) - bad for the performance and could lead to run-time errors.
                                    - We could implement the Clone method more easiliy wrong: the Clone method could return the wrong type (not compile time enforced)
                                    -…

20 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Please keep the Reference Source symbol server updated

The Reference Source is a very useful feature, particularly so for its ability to step through framework code. But that feature never lasts very long after a release. Many programmers have .NET 4.5.2 on their machine today, the server doesn't supply the necessary PDBs. Downgrading to 4.5.1 is painful and often not possible at all.

Please keep the server updated.

198 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Visual Studio formatting options should accept leading comma

Visual Studio 2015 formatting options should allow for leading commas in all C-style languages like C#, JavaScript, TypeScript etc.

This would greatly improve legibility on structs, enums and other kinds of blocks, like this:

Arrays:
                                        [ "a"
                                        , "b"
                                        , "c"
                                        ]

Functions:

function
                                        ( a
                                        , b
                                        , c
                                        )

Enums:
                                        enum
                                        { a
                                        , b
                                        , c
                                        }

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • provide the ability to edit test steps in Test Manager 2013

When I runa test script in MTM via the Test Runner, one frustrating aspect of this is the inability to edit the test steps whilst the test is in progress.

For example...I will have written out my test scripts, but when I come to running the execution I realise I need to make a tweak to the wording. Rather than being able to do this as the test is running, I have to come out of the test, make the change, and then go back into the test...very frustrating.

What should happen is that any of the wording changes I…

5 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base