Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Haskell support in Visual Studio

First-class support for Haskell is what I like to see, with syntax highlight, intelisense and debugging.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • cross platform torrent support

If windows phone users have lots of storage and are connected to a wifi network then they really will not need their Pcs to download tons of stuff.A universal torrent app can really make widows phones more like portable laptops.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make Project and Solution files more human readable

Merging project and solution files can be tricky.

Main thing - get rid of GUIDs!!
        For .sln files, consider grouping data by project, so that when a project is added or deleted, it only effects one section of the sln.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Shortcut for Select current CodeBlock

Enable a shortcut for selection of the code block the cursor is currently in and/or the code block the mouse is over.

So for C# this would mean selecting "{" and "}" and everything in between for any block of condition/loop/method/class/namespace etc. Of course this is coding-language specific and should work for any language that has a concept of code-blocks.

I use this all the time in Java/Eclipse and like it better than clicking near the opening brace and just highlight the closing brace (and vice-versa).

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Pair programming in visual studio editor (working with more persons in one workspace)

When pair programming two programmers want to work on the same file(s) real time. To do this the first user can invite a team member to join the same project from an other computer. All changes the users make are shown on both computers.

This will deliver the feature faster when working on trivial parts of the implementation. For less trivial parts they can work behind one monitor. This feature can also be used to do tutoring or code in code reviews from remote.

31 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Auto-generation of comments for methods and functions for documentation

This is a basic function that would greatly simplify code documentation with tools such as Doxygen. Atomineer Pro and Visual Assist are plugins that offer this functionality, but this is something that should definitely be looked at as being natively integrated with Visual Studio as the ability to insert snippets for any type of language, rather than relying on 3rd-party plugins and tools to do so.

5 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • REGEX exact match improvement Kindly asking you to implement the small improvement to c# regex the idea is following .{,3} - up to 3 symb

REGEX exact match improvement

Kindly asking you to implement the small improvement to c# regex
                the idea is following
                .{,3} - up to 3 symbols match
                .{3,5} - between 3 to 5 symbols match
                .{3,} - 3 and more
                .{3} - exactly 3 symbols
                I need the next mentioned improvement (!)
                .{3|4|5... etc.} - exactly 3 or 4 or ...

for instance match like this (.{3}(?:.{2})?) is not pretty useful because when quantity of symbols is 4, the match of 3 symbols is still present!
                I need matches with exactly 3 OR 5 symbols... OR ... etc (if mentioned in…

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • generate sequenc diagramm with the c# code source

on ne peut plus generer un diagramme de sequence à partir du code source en C# comem dans visual 2013

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Show static/shared members with different icons

Within the solution explorer, when exploring through a file's type definitions and their members, instance members and static members use the same icons. All methods use the same purple box, all fields use the same blue block, etc. As with the access modifiers, adding a small indicator to each member's icon for static/shared members would help identify relevant information. This could match the "S" shown on type definitions in their MSDN articles, but any other type of indicator would work.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Option to show live semantic errors only upon statement completion

Have an option to only show the live semantic errors (squigglys) when you complete a statement / type semicolon, so you don't get all of the squigglys showing up while you are still typing, but don't want to turn off the syntax checking completely.

8 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Allow the theme to be temporarily and locally changed to differentiation multiple open instances

I often have multiple instances of visual studio open simultaneously. Sometimes I'm working on the same project but in different branches/workspaces so not even the name of the project is enough to differentiate them. It would be desirable to apply some kind of visual styling to give me a quick idea of context. For example, by default I use the dark theme but if I open a second solution in a different instance I would apply the light theme so I can quickly tell them apart.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Leading Suggestions to Create Transferring Uncomplicated

Switching a great workplace or market to some new area could be a harrowing task; in fact it could change into a total headache if you don't pick the best packers as well as movers.
                          http://www.shiftingsolutions.in/packers-and-movers-agra.html

http://www.shiftingsolutions.in/packers-and-movers-sonipat.html
                          Business re-location usually comes with the fat regarding transporting explosives, fumes, dangerous substances in addition to sensitive material. Most of these supplies have to have treatment as well as dealing with by simply prepared authorities. For that reason, to make sure that the actual new house purchase method goes thru efficiently, it's a wise decision to maintain these factors in mind:

•The movers…

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • kproj/xproj should not be associated with ASP.Net it makes sense for all other application types too.

As the title states, don't make xproj/kproj exclusive to sp.net projects. The general idea behind this project also applies to desktop (and all other project types) too. Even better just use project.json without any *.*proj file as another suggestion already states.
                            Just allow for a target to build into binaries directly.

103 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add F7 Support for resx files to navigate to feature

Navigate to Feature - [ctrl]-[,] is a very useful tool to quickly move through huge solutions.
                              I suggest adding F7 as a possible hotkey to the Navigate box thus opening a text editor instead of a default editor (and shift-f7 for e.g. the designer)

my usecase is editing ressource files: often I want to find one file and instead of opening the file (e.g. a *.resx ressource file) with the default editor (in this case a grid editor) I would like to hit F7 to open the file with the common editor (thus opening an xml editor).

Sadly, F7 just…

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Extend the task list with filters for @persons and #things

in shared code bases, handling tasks that don't require issue tracking (or when there is no issue tracking) usually is managed with TODO comments and the task list window.

It would be great to enable TODO comments to be taggable as to Persons or issue Things.
                                I suggest using the twitter schema of prefixing Persons with an @ at sign and Things with a # hash sign.

// TODO @Alex #CleanUp
                                I would like the Task List to have two additional columns, Persons and Things) where for each task, all occuring @Persons and #Things are written.

of course, those columns…

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Combine all workflow activities into a universal workflow library without the need for Workflow Manager

Add the Workflow activities that are under Microsoft.Activities and its child namespaces (Microsoft.Activities.Expressions, Microsoft.Activities.Hosting, Microsoft.Activities.Messaging, Microsoft.Activities.Client, Microsoft.Activities.Client.Security) into the collection of activities that are available under the WF designer toolbox in VS2015 and allow them to work without the need to use Workflow Manager

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Windows Workflow Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Expression editor display issue

Please fix the display issue with expression editor. In VS2015, the control doesn't fill the free space.

Regards,

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Switch ranking of matches when searching with "CamelHumps" in NavigateTo

When using "CamelHumps" e.g. searching for FooBarBaz class by entering FBB in the NavigateTo (Ctrl+,) box, the matches for the camel humps are ranked lower than character matches (e.g. FbbClass). Since the camel hump style search only works if you enter in CAPS, it certainly seems like any camel hump matches should be ranked first in the results.

For the longest time, I didn't even realize camel hump searching even work in VS (I actually started writing an extension to add it) because of the poor ranking in the results.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • tv hook up

since loading windows 10 a lot of programs should be removed stick to what was goo in the past and better it these new programs are tempermental and not near as good will place a list later for now i want to know what can be done to connect compter to tv since loading windows 10 have not found a work around or setting to even connect

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add the ability to "move" NavigateTo results into a ToolWindow with a list of results

Often when searching via NavigateTo (Ctrl+,) I find myself wanting to click a button (or something) to "save" off the results into a new ToolWindow with a clickable list of results.

Similar to the CodeLen option when searching for references.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base