Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow easier name change of publish profiles

In older versions of Visual Studio it was easy to change the name of a Publish Profile for ASP.NET MVC projects. Now, in order to do this in VS2017, you have to rename the file and unload and reload the solution. When there are multiple publish configurations it is obviously vital to differentiate these profiles by name. Can we have the same "edit" functionality we had in previous versions where you could change the name (or assign a name) to a publish profile in the Publish dialog.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • All path that is dotted out should be revealed on hover in a tooltip (e.g in File -> Recent * options).

It is so annoying that I can't decide which of the similar paths to select when long paths are dotted out.
      A similar issue is closed without a solution:
      https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/2108339-show-the-full-path-as-a-tooltip-in-recent-project
      Please don't close this again without a solution.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • vs.Net 2017 the turkish translated name of the "OUT" tab at the bottom of the IDE is not "Çıkış". The correct translation should be "Çıktı".

I am using Turkish language at .NET 2017 IDE .The turkish translated name of the "OUT" tab at the bottom of the IDE is not "Çıkış". The correct translation should be "Çıktı".

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Do not leave App.g.i.cs files open when breaking on an error

At some point, VS stopped permanently opening (most) docs when selected, requiring you to select Keep Open, but keeping the tab list a bit cleaner with less of the intermediate files (that the compiler so helpfully throws errors about if the doc is open). However, for whatever reason, when a UWP error is hit in, the App.g.i.cs breakpoint gets hit, and the file gets left open, leading to a bunch of garbage errors and sometimes modal messages about changing the encoding. These intermediate files should not be left open (app.g.i.cs is only one of many), as they severely clutter the…

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • When adding a Document the IDE should recognize the current content

If add new the IDE should grab the current extensions and default extension should suggested by content.
            Example: if there are 10 Text Files with .txt extenseion after a addnew File the IDE suggestion should be .txt.
            Regards

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Code Snippets: Support importing feature for C#

It would be nice when the importing feature of code snippets also works under C#.

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • C99 Compound Literal Initializers

Hey guys,

I am aware of various replies from the past years on the C99 support topic. I searched this forum a little. But things are a-changing (IoT proved to be strong and C still one of the best languages ever).

Please add support for C99 compound literals initialization:

so after

typedef struct packet_t {
                int32_t size;
                int32_t type;
                } packet_t;

we can do

packet_t current_packet = {.size = 28, .type = 2};

thank you : )

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Goto.. and current document

Currently if I want to find a symbol in the active document I need to launch a go to session first and press CTRL+ALT+C to reduce the scope to the active file. Unfortunately the state of 'Current Document' option is persisted so in the next session I will need to switch it off if I want to search for something outside of the active document. Of course I need to manually enable it again if I want to search inside a document again and so on.
                  Would be nice to have a dedicated command for this purpose similarly to Go…

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Размер

К выбору загрузки компонентов добавте их размер....

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add the "delete all existing files" option to the Publish screen in .Net Core Console applications

As per this Stackoverflow question https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45689301/visual-studio-2017-net-core-application-publish-to-folder-and-delete-existing, Visual Studio .NET Core Console applications don't support the 'delete all existing files' option when publishing to a folder.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Keep 'current project' for each open code tab in sync with current Startup Project

When viewing code in a Shared Project, solution contains Xamarin UWP, iOS, Droid. The 'current project' for the code file is often different than the current Startup Project, and intellisense gets out of date.
                        Every time I open another code file, I need to set the project dropdown to match the current Startup Project in order to get proper intellisense.

Just under the code tab there is a row of three dropdowns, first is the "current project" (uwp, droid, ios), next is the "current class", next is the "current method".

I suggest the "current project" droplist should default to match…

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Provide an auto-arrange option for the error list, watches, etc.

The table-based debug windows always seem to space the columns for minimum readability (i.e. I have never, ever had a version actually let me read the actual type of a watched variable without manually dragging that column to more than the default centimeter) Description column sometimes gets shrunk to less than an inch, tanking readability.
                          Proposal -> Autoarrange button for the grids to let the columns fill the current width with a minimum combination of number of wrapping columns and row height.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Provide a setting that exposes an "Enable" the "hyperlinks open in the system default browser" behavior

Visual Studio 2017 version 15.3 now opens all links that appear in the Editor and the Output window using the system default browser.

Having a choice (a setting that we can toggle on or off, and if we pick "Enable/On," then pick from a list of installed browsers) is the best of all designs.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • add platform toolsets to allow people to switch between older versions

This will allow people using books to learn, the reason I suggest this is development of new technologies is often faster than learning material can be produced and updated. This also allows people to move forward with the newer IDEs as once an example project has been built, they can move the platform toolset forward and see what changes can be made and refactor the code. Again I only say this because although I am using a more recent book, it still requires the VS2013 toolset, also means that people won't need to install numerous VS editions thus freeing up…

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Ship JSON extractor as Visual Studio Web Test plugin

Ship JSON extraction as Visual Studio Web Test plugin

The built-in set of Web Test plugins wasn't updated for a decade and counting. Application Insights brought new life to Web Tests but today modern web talks in JSON, not HTM or XML. So bring MSTest up to speed, ship the JSON extractor with VS.

4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Bower support for Visual Studio for Mac.

Features: add/remove/update a bower package.

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Reorganize your VS mission: First to serve and to inform are your VisualStudio customers!

As an MSDN subscriber, we sadly saw a tremendous decrease in productivity over the last year for those who tried to get involved into recent Technologies of .Net core etc.

We, your customers, feel that opening up to open source has led to a steep decay of quality: It is not easy to get many heterogenous Teams in linem and by opening to open source communities, you, Microsoft, give control over the ins and outs to externals.
                                    But: that was your decision. We expect you to still manage the product readiness of the core components.

And that is, where things…

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • VSO/VSTS Pull Request Integration Inside Visual Studio

I think better integration of Visual Studio and VSTS would really help streamline my workflows.

Example:
                                      - VS2017 knows what my current git branch is, and if there is a remote branch associated with it
                                      - VSTS knows what Pull Request is associated with that remote git branch
                                      - VSTS has a list of comments associated with that pull request
                                      - VS2017 could have a ribbon allowing me to iterate through the comments (and would load the file at the correct line in the IDE), or a side bar showing a list of all the comments with buttons to filter…

7 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Your licensing process sucks

Fix your licensing process. It sucks for Enterprise. It randomly asks me to re-verify my license that my company has paid a ton of money for (Ultimate). To re-verify, I have to remember exactly how I set up my account in the first place (if I straightforwardly try to use my email it doesn't work, have to say it's personal even though it's Enterprise.) Then I have to remember yet another password. Then it asked me to enter a security code that it emailed to me. Multiple problems with this:
                                        1. VS is maximized. Since I'm now in a modal…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Debugger skip line

Many times, I'm debugging an application and I need to skip statements to go to the next one.

This is achievable easily with `Set next statement CTRL+SHIFT+F10` in code blocks.

In some cases, when the method is an expression or there is no other statement into the block (and no no-op) it's impossible to avoid hitting the statement.

Example:

Method() => throw Exception() // Breakpoint here

if the cursor is on the throw statement, I have no way of avoiding the exception as I cannot set a next statement into the function.

Would be nice to have another debug action…

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base