Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. JavaScript and VB6 programming - MSDN magazine article

The February 2016 edition of the Microsoft MSDN magazine has an article by David Platt "Don't Get Me Started - VB6: Waking a Sleeping Giant"
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt632280

Platt suggests developing a new version of the VB6 programming language and IDE (which he names VB*) that compiles to Javascript and HTML5.

Platt says "The VB* programming model would conceptually resemble the ASP.NET Web Forms model, in which controls render their content as HTML. But that rendering requires ASP.NET on the server side, and VB* needs to avoid depending on any particular server. Therefore, VB* will compile down to independent pages of HTML5…

286 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      23 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Provide the option to disable Git publish in visual studio status bar.

After the latest update (2) there is a new Publish button in the bottom right of the IDE. Doesn't state what it does, and even though TFVC is used it still creates a GIT repository on right click. Please provide an option to disable that button and please don't make my source control choices for me.

162 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        4 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • On XAML Editor add "Fit All" and "Fit Selection" buttons

Add two buttons for “Fit all” and “Fit selection”, because is a very frequent action and opening a pull down menu is really much more time consuming than clicking a button.

74 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Give user a way to turn off Microsoft Git Provider completely.

The only two things Microsoft Git Provider does is
          - cause problems for ReSharper (file is still read-only bug that is there for like two versions of VS)
          - eat CPU time

It would be nice if there was a way to disable this abomination completely and not have it come back to life every time I reload Visual Studio.

48 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Set COMPLUS_FORCEENC to 1 for any process launched using "Start without debuggging"

I assume that the fact that you spent time on engineering the 'Edit and continue on attach' feature announced here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudioalm/2015/04/29/net-enc-support-for-lambdas-and-other-improvements-in-visual-studio-2015/

means that you recognise that there are circumstances where developers don't want to launch their process under the debugger even when they are planning to use it later. This is great; so thanks! Unfortunately it's a little bit awkward to use at the minute but I think this could be addressed with a minor improvement in Visual Studio...

The ideal thing would be to simply make sure that COMPLUS_FORCEENC=1 is added to the environment of any process launched using…

42 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Please, please compromise with Visual Basic 6 users...

Dear Microsoft,

It is abundantly clear that you will never produce a new version of VB6, especially not one which is 64-bit and cross platform. Doing so would compete with your goals of subscription based software in the near future.

So... how about a simple compromise with the VB6 users? I use VB.NET and I like it. But the syntax is extremely difficult for many users. However, I have been working around this problem for sometime now. I have created my own huge runtime library of wrapper functions (including API calls) to replace familiar VB6 functions which have been removed…

133 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                5 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • VS 2017 - Enable xUnit to be the default test framework for CodedUI

CodedUI only supports the MSTest framework, xunit works cross platform and is a joy to use(https://youtu.be/Mw5lODrvELk). Please enable CodedUI(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd286726.aspx) to work with xUnit by default.

81 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Open-source System.Xaml

An open-source version of System.Xaml would provide the .NET community with an expressive, extensible, tool-friendly, and fairly mature framework for the creation of sophisticated object graphs.

While XML and JSON are both options for simple graphs, they lack the additional flexibility and power of features like markup extensions and attached properties, which greatly enhance the capabilities of the framework.

XAML has proven its broad applicability both inside Microsoft (Windows Workflow Foundation in addition to System.Windows/Windows.UI.Xaml) and outside it (Xamarin.Forms). I personally would have liked to be able to use it in .NET Core and Xamarin for a non-UI project. It…

436 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Self-hosted WCF services stack in .NET Core

I would like to see the WCF service side being made available in the .NET core, so that we can continue developing WCF services and start targeting other platforms.

Ultimately I would like to see the full stack including the common bindings: NetTcp, NetPipe, and maybe WsHttpBasic.

But to cut this short, my priority lies with the self-hosting and the base classes for custom bindings. This way, the community can start implementing the various bindings on their own, while Microsoft can focus on getting the core of WCF right.

69 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      3 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Have C++ IntelliSense parser support GCC extensions, MinGW, and Cygwin toolchains

The IntelliSense parser for Visual C++ is separate from MSVC compiler, and will throw out IntelliSense errors that may or may not be accurate with actual C/C++ code errors.

This is very annoying when it comes to IntelliSense parsing GCC standard headers and libraries for MinGW and Cygwin toolchains, when we are using Visual Studio 2015 for Makefile projects.

Most of the time, IntelliSense will give 1,200+ errors related to not being able to understand GCC extensions, or GCC-specific codes for MinGW and Cygwin toolchains.

I am suggesting to the team to find ways to improve IntelliSense C++ parsing so…

45 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Better Window Snapping on 4K Screens

Please imrpove Windows Snapping for giant 4K, or even bigger, Scrrens. I really would like to see a 2x2, 3x2 and 4x1 Window Grid

22 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Solution Explorer Context Menu - "Register Assembly" in a bad place...

Right click a project in the VS Solution Explorer, the bottom item used to always be "Properties". This has been changed in Update 2 to now be "Register Assembly".

I am always using the Porperties menu item, but keep accidentally clicking "Register Assembly" which on my machine causes VS to crash to desktop when I cancel the dialogue that pops up.

Please move the "Register Assembly" menu item somewhere else so that "Properties" is the bottom item.

44 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add ligatures to Consolas font

I like coding with ligatures, using FiraCode font:
                            https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode

But as much as I like the ligatures, I find the font itself (letters and numbers) to be less nice than Consolas, which I really like.

My suggestion is to add optional ligatures to Consolas, for people who want them.

146 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              5 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Manage NuGet Packages should support Database project

In Visual Studio 2013, when I click the Manage NuGet Packages menu for Database project, it will prompt me that "Operation failed. The project 'database project name' is unsupported.".

And in Visual Studio 2015, this feature is grey out for database project.
                              I think NuGet Manager should also support database project. There has other communities who also has this requirement, please refer to:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/8570c1e9-2916-4e80-800a-2e553f8a2bfa/referencing-dacpac-nugets-from-a-sqlproj-ssdt-within-visual-studio-2015?forum=visualstudiogeneral&prof=required

24 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Nuget Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Find dead/unused code in the solution

From ASP.NET UserVoice (http://aspnet.uservoice.com/forums/41199-general-asp-net/suggestions/486946-find-dead-unused-code-in-the-solution)

After some time certain parts of code i n a project end up not being used anymore and just waste screen estate. It would be handy if Visual Studio could detect this and warn you about it.

49 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • DataGridView - edit whole row option

Right now when editing data inside DGV (DataGridView) we can change data in single cell.
                                  It would be awesome to be able to edit whole row and then apply changes.
                                  I know I can create separate form and bind data to it, but I would like to have this build in.
                                  Sencha has this feature build in inside their grid (http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.2/examples/classic/grid/row-editing.html?theme=neptune) and it is one of those features why people choose Sencha.

Please consider adding this as build-in option.

18 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Coded UI to support complex gestures like Longpress and drag and drop in single gesture method

There are instances in different windows store apps that you need to long press on a control to make it draggable and then holding the press you continue to drag the control to the desired location within app. currently this can not be achieved with the gesture methods available in CodedUI for windows store. Having support for this kind of gestures will help the automation engineers to achieve automation of these gestures.

27 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Bring Windows 10 Universal Apps to Android and iOS

Create something like what Xamarin is doing in order to help developers to code once and run EVERYWHERE (Wndows 10, windows 10 mobile, android and ios).

If Microsoft could not buy Xamarin, at least do what they are doing by your own. Make something that enable us to archive real NATIVE cross platform development. It could dramatically increase the numbers of developers using .net to create mobile applications as well as increasing the number of apps created to wp too, since app could be compiled to ios, android AND WINDOWS PHONE. Hibrid apps like apache Cordova has a lot of…

2,712 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        34 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add a "bug" annotation to feature cards on the features backlog board

When viewing the feature backlog board, a user is able to see a "Product Backlog Items" annotation, which can be dropped down to view a list of all PBIs. This list does not include bug items. It is also not possible to enable an annotation for bugs.

It is possible to enable multiple annotations at once for PBIs themselves, which can have both tasks and tests.

Please enable a "Bugs" annotation for features.

21 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Not possible to run MTM tests (Coded UI or MSTest) via vNext builds

With xaml build definitions user selects MTM Test Plan to run, with vNext build definition it is only possible to select test dll to run.

Tests executed via vNext never report test statuses to MTM test runs, vNext test runs never appear in the MTM.

So with vNext build integration of manual-automated tests is not supported out of the box!!!

See for details:
                                          http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34229465/how-to-run-coded-ui-tests-using-vnext

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/f9e851e3-657c-4a35-bdad-2559168e0913/how-to-run-coded-ui-tests-using-
                                          vnext?forum=tfsbuild

70 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base