Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cyclomatic Complexity in Code Metrics is calculated based on IL

Calculation of Cyclomatic Complexity (at least and possibly other metrics) is based on compiler-generated IL. To calculate code metrics at the IL level just seems wrong. Code metrics are meant to assist developers in creating better code – not worrying about how it is compiled – which is nothing more than an implementation detail we shouldn’t be concerned with. I would argue that this is a bug in Roslyn/VS by calculating at the IL level.

I know that this metric is calculated differently by NDepend and ReSharper which is very confusing when this is supposed to be an industry-wide standard…

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 314 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        4 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Support Android API Level 24

Please add support for Android API Level 24

372 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          19 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Fix the UWP designer errors

I've been doing XAML for 9 years, but the current status of XAML designer in UWP apps is just terrible. Either remove it completely or make it at least as stable as WPF designer in VS2015.

Things like:

Method not found: Void Windows.UI.Composition.Visual.put_Size(System.Numerics.Vector2)

or COMException: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

I haven't met a single UWP developer who wasn't frustrated by the designer always broken

63 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Properly support native thread naming via the SetThreadDescription API in minidumps, debuggers, and analysis tools

This is a request to embed support for the SetThreadDescription API to critical Microsoft debugging and analysis tools: the Visual Studio Debugger, WinDbg, WPA, and mini-dumps.

A different User Voice request, titled "Add a thread name property for native threads to support attach and minidump debugging" was recently closed, with the rationale that Microsoft was working on a new approach to thread naming. This approach would be different from the current exception-based approach, and "[Microsoft] will look to leverage that in the future for any investments we make to debugging multithreaded code."

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/5792677-include-and-use-native-thread-names-in-minidumps

From the following conversation I had with…

182 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Make Visual Studio color themes actually less customizeable

Right now the amount of individual items available for color tweaking is just insane. This must be the reason for the fact there is really few available VS themes on the internet other than those shipped with theme editor extension. And also for the fact that said extension is still unavalable after several months since VS2017 release. Reducing the number of items by grouping similar or getting rid of most arcane ones might make it easier for VS team to maintain relevant code and help boost the number of available themes - I guess most people are unwilling to undertake…

35 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Update VSAE to work with Visual Studio 2017

My favorite way to create Management Packs for SCOM is using Visual Studio Authoring Extensions.

The latest version of Visual Studio which is supported is 2015. - Please update the VSAE so that it can work with Visual Studio 2017.

27 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Dont add the default team as reviewer when doing a pull request

When doing a pull request the default team in Team Services is added as reviewer by default. When you have multiple team (which I assume is the most common case), this makes little sense as you cant even select which VSTS team you are working in in Visual Studio. Why adding a team when working in Visual Studio most likely always will be the wrong team (unless you only have a single team).

As you can see in
                  https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/git/pull-requests#add-detail-to-your-pull-request
                  that "[Fabrikam]\Fabrikam Team" is added by default.

Please change Visual Studio pull requests to not add any team by default.

If…

58 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Support mstest on Windows 10 IoT Core devices

Support unit testing for UWP applications targeted for ARM based devices using Windows 10 IoT Core.

75 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Support WinAppDriver for Windows 10 IoT Core devices

Support WinAppDriver for ARM based IoT Core devices to enable automated UI testing using Selenium.

76 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Restore global.json functionality in VS2017

Before the switch from project.json back to .csproj files, I was able to use global.json in order to specify local source code for a NuGet package I referenced. This made it incredibly easy to debug against the source code, and also make code changes on the fly to my dependencies that are in other packages and repositories.

With the new csproj format, I am forced to make changes to my package and push them up to our registry, or package and push to a local nuget source. This makes for an incredibly clunky experience when NuGet is your primary method…

49 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Meaningfully document features

Meaningfully document features in Microsoft development tools/libs.

There are 94 different child pages for methods/properties of the core ASP.Net identity API UserManager<TUser> class.

All of them appear to have a 1 line text description.

How can one expect a developer to understand how to use it from the tool generated 1 liner text description?

.NET File.Open has much much more documentation and it is 1 method in .net, not 94 different ones.

Redirecting/suggesting the many outdated, partial and misleading tutorials from 3+ years ago does not help and does not substitute for actual documentation of the UserManager class.

Asp.NET User…

24 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add TFS "Find by status" and "Find by wildcard" reports

Add "Find by status" and "Find by wildcard" TFS power tools 2015 report into Visual Studio 2017 IDE

48 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Visual Studio 2017, C#, Mono Cross Platform Linux?

So what is the method to use Visual Studio 2017 (or 2015) to develop & build a cross platform desktop GUI application with Linux? The advertising all indicates Xamarin is the way to go...You go to Mono website and the current pages indicate to no longer use monodevelop on Windows, and point to downloading / install Xamarin to VS. I know Xamarin is now Microsoft and built on Mono, so that sounds reasonable. OK, install Xamarin to VS2017 - except nothing there indicates that it works with Linux / Mono... just Android / Apple, etc.

Listed in the Extensions section…

38 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Add VB.Net Project Templates For .Net Core and .Net Standard to Visual Studio 2017

It's absurd that VS 2017 lacks VB.Net project templates for KEY new concepts such as .Net Core and .Net Standard.

Microsoft has promised to maintain VB.Net as a first class citizen/language, but in the last year or two, I've seen exactly the opposite.
                                I'm fearful that perhaps VB.Net isn't getting even the most basic levels of internal Microsoft use and testing with new concepts if there aren't even project templates in your flagship dev tool.

I suggest either dropping VB.Net completely or committing the resources necessary to properly maintain and support it. Everything about the current half-measures is quite uncomfortable…

64 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Make Visual Studio suggest explicit type instead of var when ToList is called

Currently when the .editorconfig or the Visual Studio settings say that the code should prefer var when the type is apparent Visual Studio suggest that I change code like this

List<string> test = Enumerable.Range(1, 2).Select(i => i.ToString()).ToList();

I should use var because the type is apparent. It does this even when I have code like GetItems().ToList(); While calling ToList makes it apparent that the type is a List<T> it is not the List that I care about, it is the T. This is a clearly a case where if the type should be explicit (assuming the user set csharp_style_var_when_type_is_apparent =…

62 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Visual Studio Test Explorer needs more features

Test Explorer needs
                                    1) A History of tests run locally from Visual Studio. Like VSTS has a history of Tests run from Releases.
                                    2) A way to associate a Test with a Story/Bug in VSTS. A common thing we have going on is a test will fail and then a Bug will be raised but there is no connection being made between the failing Test and the Bug in VSTS.
                                    3) The Test Output screen only allows you to Copy and Paste the entire contents of the Test Output. Usually all I need to do is copy a few words…

22 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • 148 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        under review  ·  13 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Camel Case Matching in GoTo Search

Currently the GoTo Search does not cope with Camel Case.

Can this be added for global and sub GoTo searches as well?

15 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Support Microsoft Fakes on .NET Core

Microsoft Fakes is powerful function for testing. Please provide support to use Microsoft Fakes Stub/Shim context in .NET Core test project.

71 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base