Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. An effective way to compress Large Object Heap

I think I've found an effective way to compress LOH:
    If CLR always alloc every large object at the beginning of a RAM page(usually 4KB per page),then the large object heap(LOH) can be compressed without much cost: CLR can compress LOH by modifying page table and TLB instead of copying data. If so, small fragmentation maybe still exist (less then a memory page size per fragment), but there would be no large fragmentation, and compressing would be very fast because of not copying large amount of memory data. To do this, OS support may be needed, fortunately Windows OS and…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow the C# 'break' statement to terminate *several* nested enslosing loops, rather than the closest one only

Sometimes, I want to exit several nested loops, based on a single condition.

Today, I have to introduce an additional boolean variable, to exit all the other loops except the innermost one. This is inconvenient.

If only the 'break' statement could have accepted the number of loops to break...

A straighforward example:
      for(;;)
      {
      for(;;)
      {
      if{true} break(2);
      }
      }

This feature would work just similarly when used in a 'switch' statement.

We would only have to be concerned to not allow the 'break's parameter to exceed the number of nested scopes it is used from within. Otherwise, an error…

36 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        12 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • vsonline announcements page

IN VisualStudio Online portal, have the ability to have custom announcements. My company has over 180 users on 30 teams and it would be nice to set announcements by both team and by site. THis would allow teams to post meeting changes or other team related info or for me the administrator to make an announcement site wide when users first login.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • tfs integration platform - automatic sync frequency

Currently, the default automatic sync job triggers every 30 seconds. It would be nice, if that can be changed.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Support custom elements in .aspx files

Update 4 RC just recently included support for custom elements in the HTML editor (the default editor for .html files) however this feature did not make it into the HTML (Web Forms) editor (the default editor for .aspx files).

36 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • We need a command to clear the cache in Lightswitch application

[Customer voice]
              We have the problem that old values are in the cache from the IE-Explorer and Chrome because there is a bug by caching data.

See also:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/c0c79693-09ea-44ab-8c05-92e3fcc12054/ls2013-interesting-caching-observation-is-this-a-bug?forum=lightswitch

The refresh-method works not, because we call the SQL-command with "myapp.activeDataWorkspace" to edit the record. this is not other possible because we work with SQL-views in the grid for better performance.

We search a command to "clear" the cache. has anyone an idea?

22 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  LightSwitch  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • don't change the F5 functionality based on context

Normally, F5 starts debug. But if you are in a bug view, it refreshes the bug or bug list; and I think there's another place which takes over the F5.

I think it's confusing that the functionality of a central key like this one changes. If you want to refresh the view, use Ctrl-R or something. F5 should always be start debug.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Fix opcodes from vb compiler when initialize an array and function local variant

Hi guys,

I want to point out some flaw opcodes that vb compiler create and hope VB dev team have sometime to fix those and make VB better performance.

1. Array

When I create an array like this "Dim Data(input.Length - 1) As Char", compiler will rewrite to "Dim Data(input.Length - 1 + 1) As Char"; it's unnecessary 4 bytes and you loss 4 of 64 bytes if you aim to create a tiny method.

2. Function local variant

VB function away has self local variant like "Function foo() As string" will have "Dim foo As String" even it's unused…

9 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Emacs keyboard mapping scheme.

I love VS! I think it is the best IDE I have worked with in years. But coming from Linux and Mac community to Microsoft Visual Studio in windows, I have a real hard time learning windows style keyboard shortcuts. I guess I am not the only one having this trouble.

One important improvement that can make it easier generally for folks in linux community to get started with VS and discover all its nice features is the Emacs style keyshortcuts. I really miss it myself.

I searched a bit and found an old Emacs keyboard mapping scheme for VS…

7 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Have layered transparency with picture boxes. Transparent sections of picture boxes will always show form background not other pictureboxes

When two picture boxes overlap, the transparent parts of the top one will always show the form background rather than the picture box between it and the form.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Save and Load set of selected exceptions

When debugging several applications I find myself often to enable breaking on a specific set of exceptions in one application and another set of exceptions in another application. Since this is a rather work-intensive process it would be nice to save and load those selected exceptions.
                        Another helpful addition would be to support the <F3> key as an alternative to the "Find Next" button.

21 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Backlog task board column description is not updated, if only case of words is changed

Backlog task board column description is not updated, if only case of words is changed.
                          E.g. if the word in the description was "done" and is changed to "Done" it is not considered as changed.

It is a minor bug, but requires to change something else if you only want to change case of the word :)

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Make pbi on other iteration with tasks on the current visually different on task board

Not easy to summarize on one line :)

If I have a product backlog item that is not part of an iteration (let's say it have been moved to the next one) but with tasks that were completed, the PBI stays in the task board. This is really really nice.

But ...

It's not visually different from any other PBI in the task board. A simple visual clue that this item is not in the current iteration anymore would really help and prevent people to create new tasks on the wrong iteration :).

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Make the .NET compilers find IDisposable abuse accurately, and make it a compiler error rather than needing to use code analysis

Finding leaks caused by not disposing IDisposable objects is probably one of the hardest, time consuming issues with .NET code.

The fact that the code analysis warning CA2000 is plagued with false detections and worse - situations that it misses entirely, means that people don't find their mistakes at compile time (when they should).

If the compilers found IDisposable abuses correctly (and it was a facility of the core compilers rather than having to use code analysis), it would raise the bar considerably to ensure that people write correct .NET code first time rather than having to spend man-weeks finding…

20 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Add ForceHTTPS to ScriptManager

For web applications that use the Microsoft CDN (EnableCDN=true) and are behind a Hardware Load Balancer (HLB) and the SSL cert is bound only to the HLB, the ScriptManager uses the protocol of the request coming to IIS. In this scenario, IIS only sees http coming from the HLB even though the HLB sees https coming from the client. Thus the client's https request of a page results in mixed mode content because the Microsoft CDN references for asp.net are rendered as http.

Please add a property to ScriptManager to ForceHTTPS which would allow applications running in this configuration to…

9 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Add an escape sequence for decimal valued Unicode: \d255

I would like decimal based (not Hex) escape sequence for Unicode.

Currently there is:
                                  \u - Interpret the next four characters as hex Unicode
                                  \U - Interpret the next eight characters as hex Unicode
                                  \x - Interpret the next however many [0-9a-fA-F] as hex Unicode

What I'd really like is a similar notation for using decimal:
                                  \d - Interpret the next 5 [0-9] as dec Unicode
                                  \D - Interpret the next 10 [0-9] as dec Unicode
                                  \X - Interpret the next however many [0-9] as dec Unicode

This would make it easier to work with decimal representations of Unicode situations…

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add MDIChild property to VB.NET

Please add MDIChild property to VB.NET in order to create child forms faster than manually coding it.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Stop Visual Studio magically adding configurations like "Any CPU" to the solution file

Visual Studio has a habit of "helpfully" adding configuration to you solution files when you do things like add an existing project. There is a Connect bug for this https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/662801/prevent-visual-st which got closed. The bug, and yes it is a bug, still happens in VS 2015. Visual Studio should not arbitrarily add or remove stuff from projects or solution files unless a users asks for it, doing so can cause havoc with things like automated integration build when the changes get accidentally checked in.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add button To Clear The Application Cache Without Resetting The AppDomain

Allow us to clear the iiscache without having to reset iis or recycle the application pool. While developing we have to manually clear the cache and the current process is time consuming using iisreset (which doesn't always work) or through IIS.

Add a button within the IDE that clears the cache of the current solution.

29 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Use fuzzy search for autocomplete suggestions

By 'fuzzy', I mean a search that matches whenever every character of the search string is present in order. Sublime Text does this, and it's amazingly effective at letting you pare down a long list of suggestions to the one you want with a minimum of keystrokes and thought, particularly in situations when there are many items that share a common long prefix. This would be particularly useful in the Navigate To search and the code editor autocompleter, but I would encourage using it in every search suggester/autocompleter in VS.

For example, searching for 'alpdoone':

(...100 similar options...)
                                          AnnoyinglyLongLibraryPrefixDoThingOne() //…

21 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base