Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Have C++ IntelliSense parser support GCC extensions, MinGW, and Cygwin toolchains

The IntelliSense parser for Visual C++ is separate from MSVC compiler, and will throw out IntelliSense errors that may or may not be accurate with actual C/C++ code errors.

This is very annoying when it comes to IntelliSense parsing GCC standard headers and libraries for MinGW and Cygwin toolchains, when we are using Visual Studio 2015 for Makefile projects.

Most of the time, IntelliSense will give 1,200+ errors related to not being able to understand GCC extensions, or GCC-specific codes for MinGW and Cygwin toolchains.

I am suggesting to the team to find ways to improve IntelliSense C++ parsing so…

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add "Build event if nothing has changed since previous build" option for TFS 2015 build

Add "Build event if nothing has changed since previous build" to TFS 2015 scheduled build of new build system.

11 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Microsoft TFS Web based Build and Release queries

Execute the Build and Release based on the Build Tag
        Is there a way to filter the builds (based on the defined “Build Tags” created in Build Definition), while creating a new Release in a Release Definition?

How to select Approved Build on the Release without user input
        Between 2 Release Definitions, that deploy the same Build Artifacts, how to achieve full automated deployment for selecting a particular approved build (might not be the latest build always)?

6 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Find dead/unused code in the solution

From ASP.NET UserVoice (http://aspnet.uservoice.com/forums/41199-general-asp-net/suggestions/486946-find-dead-unused-code-in-the-solution)

After some time certain parts of code i n a project end up not being used anymore and just waste screen estate. It would be handy if Visual Studio could detect this and warn you about it.

49 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • DataGridView - edit whole row option

Right now when editing data inside DGV (DataGridView) we can change data in single cell.
            It would be awesome to be able to edit whole row and then apply changes.
            I know I can create separate form and bind data to it, but I would like to have this build in.
            Sencha has this feature build in inside their grid (http://examples.sencha.com/extjs/6.0.2/examples/classic/grid/row-editing.html?theme=neptune) and it is one of those features why people choose Sencha.

Please consider adding this as build-in option.

21 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add root access capability(option) to vs android emulator

In other emulators there is an option to access root files and some of them are potentially rooted, whereas vs emulator is much better than other emulators it would the best if it comes with root access.
              Please consider this great option.
              Thanks

13 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Bring Windows 10 Universal Apps to Android and iOS

Create something like what Xamarin is doing in order to help developers to code once and run EVERYWHERE (Wndows 10, windows 10 mobile, android and ios).

If Microsoft could not buy Xamarin, at least do what they are doing by your own. Make something that enable us to archive real NATIVE cross platform development. It could dramatically increase the numbers of developers using .net to create mobile applications as well as increasing the number of apps created to wp too, since app could be compiled to ios, android AND WINDOWS PHONE. Hibrid apps like apache Cordova has a lot of…

2,742 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  34 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Allow creation of bugs from automated test cases

We would like the ability to create bugs from Microsoft Test Manager from a test case that is automated. We can do this with manual test cases, but would like the ability for automated test cases to copy over the repro steps.

15 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • After the cumulative update, KB3163018, the System.Net.ServicePointManager in the .net framework will no longer gracefully fall back to SSL

After the cumulative update, KB3163018, the System.Net.ServicePointManager in the .net framework will no longer gracefully fall back to SSL 3.0 if the SecurityProtocol is set to both SecurityProtocolType Ssl3 and Tls (Ssl3 | Tls) (which is the .net framework default). The only way to remedy this problem is to explicitly set this value to only Ssl3, but that solution causes a failure if the web service only allows Tls. I am not certain if this is a .net framework bug or a Windows bug. Using the default setting (which is supposed to allow both Ssl3 and Tls), it only connects…

15 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Synchronically scroll two code editors

I want to have two editors (tabs) open side by side and to have ability to scroll synchronically both source code (the same thing as in Compare situation – Diff).
                      Why: I often need to look into two code editors at the same time and it would be good to have somehow ability to scroll both source code at the same time. Often that code is pretty different and diff options is not needed but only to scroll at the same time in order to find some similarities or just to use as model for creating new code.

16 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add a "bug" annotation to feature cards on the features backlog board

When viewing the feature backlog board, a user is able to see a "Product Backlog Items" annotation, which can be dropped down to view a list of all PBIs. This list does not include bug items. It is also not possible to enable an annotation for bugs.

It is possible to enable multiple annotations at once for PBIs themselves, which can have both tasks and tests.

Please enable a "Bugs" annotation for features.

21 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow loading NuGet assemblies from t4 files

T4 is great but very limited in terms of the assemblies it can reference. You can only use assemblies in the GAC, or assemblies you have the absolute path for. However these days dependency management is done via NuGet and such dependencies don't go into the GAC. In addition, their path changes as versions are bumped. It would be very beneficial to support NuGet packages in t4 files, possibly by extending the "assembly" directive or even creating a new directive. For example:

<#@ nuget name="Newtonsoft.Json" version="9.0.1" #>

12 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Not possible to run MTM tests (Coded UI or MSTest) via vNext builds

With xaml build definitions user selects MTM Test Plan to run, with vNext build definition it is only possible to select test dll to run.

Tests executed via vNext never report test statuses to MTM test runs, vNext test runs never appear in the MTM.

So with vNext build integration of manual-automated tests is not supported out of the box!!!

See for details:
                            http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34229465/how-to-run-coded-ui-tests-using-vnext

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/f9e851e3-657c-4a35-bdad-2559168e0913/how-to-run-coded-ui-tests-using-
                            vnext?forum=tfsbuild

73 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Show line differences in merge

Currently (in VS2015) the file DIFF tool highlights lines that are different, but also highlights the specific differences within the lines. This makes it very easy to see exactly what changed. But the MERGE tool only highlights the lines, not the differences within the line, which can sometimes make it much harder to figure out what changed, especially if the change is very minor. Please add the ability to highlight the line differences in MERGE.

15 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Provide more overloads to Linq to object extension methods, for conrete types like List, Arrays, etc

Right now most of Linq to object extensions only accept IEnumerable as a parameter. There is of course the logic, but not always, to check if it's a list or a collection and then there is also casting involved.
                                There would be a significant performance improvement (x 5-10 times) if you could provide overload based on concrete classes, which won't require any casting and avoid the use of Enumerator. More so, the users of the code will feel the benefits immediately and without having to modify any of the existing code.
                                Currently, here at McLaren, we have to re-implement the…

17 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Bring back ability to check in shelveset after successful build with latest sources

Previously in XAML builds, you could queue a build with "Latest sources with shelveset" AND check a box next to an option labeled, "Check in changes after successful build".

That second option (to check in) is no longer an option in queuing vNext builds. This was a horribly handy feature and would be terrific to have back!

18 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Build 2015 vNext Triggers - Continous Integration, use repository paths as default trigger

it should be possible to have the already defined paths of the repository as the triggering paths for CI Builds.

The same as it had been in the former Xamlbased version.

If you, for example, have a large list of paths in your repository (maybe >30) and you want them all to trigger your build.

dea would be to have a option the check, Use Repository for triggering, or something like that.

9 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Format Document Wrong Spacing for Assignments

There is currently a problem with the Format Document feature.
                                      The option "Ignore spaces in declaration statements" doesn't respect the following items (also the implicit if statement is suffering from this problem):

Code:

using (var x=new SomeClass())

return isCode?"yes":"no";

public void MyMethod(string str="hello")
                                      {
                                      }

for (int i=0; i<cnt; i++)
                                      {
                                      }

Wrongly Auto-Formatted-Code:

using (var x = new SomeClass())

return isCode ? "yes" : "no";

public void MyMethod(string str = "hello")
                                      {
                                      }

for (int i = 0; i<cnt; i++)
                                      {
                                      }

36 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • SQL Server 2016 support for Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2

Microsoft should allow to install SQL Server on Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2, the latest version of desktop and server OS since Windows 8.x, 10 and Windows Server 2012 and beyond are mobile and limited OS (also ugly). Which are not desktop operating systems. Microsoft should support for installing and running SQL Server 2016 on Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2, which has the largest market share and installed base, without the need or obligation to update an operating system that nobody wants.

In Microsoft "Mobile first, cloud first" era, that really means "Mobile only, cloud only",…

19 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  SQL Server Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Make Visual Studios website UX and advertising more inclusive

The other day I received one of those generic emails about Visual Studio, and I noticed that out of the 11 clip art people only 2 were girls. And both were in the background or off to the side(see pic). So I decided to check out the VS website and noticed the trend continued. Men outnumbered women on every part of the website with 2 or more people with the sole exception of continous intergration (ps props to who ever designed that page). In fact, most of the time they doubled to quadrupled the number of women. And although there…

141 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base