Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Pass intent, rather than a list of tests, to test explorer adapters

( From https://github.com/nunit/nunit-vs-adapter/issues/125 )

NUnit has the concept of "explicit tests". These are tests marked with an Explicit attribute which indicates that these tests should only be run when explicitly selected.

When running tests using "Run All" in the VS Test Explorer, the test explorer tells the NUnit adapter to "run all tests". This means the adapter can choose to ignore tests which are marked explicit.

However, when running tests by selected a project, or a class, the test explorer first creates a list of all the tests in that project or class and hands that list of tests to…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Desktop support in development, OS's and applications.

In Microsoft "Mobile first, cloud first" era, that really means "Mobile only, cloud only", is frustrating how Microsoft completely abandon the desktop, including OS's, applications and developing support for desktop. Nobody wants to migrate to the limited UWP mobile model.

16 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Windows Presentation Foundation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Enable VS Community activation/registration offline

It would be nice if there was a way to register/activate the Community Edition of VS offline, that one can use it (longer than 30 days) on virtual machines without internet access or PC that cannot access the Internet.
        There's a way to install it on machines like those discribed above using the "/layout"-Option of the setup on another PC to then install it on the offline PC afterwards, but then there isn't an option to register/activate that copy of VS.
        For example let us download a license file for the community edition in addition to signing into a Microsoft-Account…

666 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          75 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow loading NuGet assemblies from t4 files

T4 is great but very limited in terms of the assemblies it can reference. You can only use assemblies in the GAC, or assemblies you have the absolute path for. However these days dependency management is done via NuGet and such dependencies don't go into the GAC. In addition, their path changes as versions are bumped. It would be very beneficial to support NuGet packages in t4 files, possibly by extending the "assembly" directive or even creating a new directive. For example:

<#@ nuget name="Newtonsoft.Json" version="9.0.1" #>

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Unit tests no more working after installing KB3165756 on VS2015 Update 3

I've just installed KB3165756 and unit tests don't work anymore.

The unit test panel is empty and when I run tests nothing happens. It says that tests have run but nothing in TestResults and execution time is only about 2 seconds.

I'm working on a french version of VS2015.

An other person in my office installed the patch and he gets the same issue.

Very annoying bug !

12 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Show line differences in merge

Currently (in VS2015) the file DIFF tool highlights lines that are different, but also highlights the specific differences within the lines. This makes it very easy to see exactly what changed. But the MERGE tool only highlights the lines, not the differences within the line, which can sometimes make it much harder to figure out what changed, especially if the change is very minor. Please add the ability to highlight the line differences in MERGE.

9 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Open source Visual Basic 6

Since further development does not seem feasible, would it be possible to release the sources in a .NET core style manner?

1,015 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  109 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Mark data-driven tests run with "Run Functional Tests" task failed if one iteration fails

Not sure if this might even be a bug:

When using the vNext build task "Run Functional Tests" to run data-driven tests (test cases on TFS with multiple test parameters), only one successful iteration currently will mark the whole test as passed successfully.

If one or more iterations failed while other iterations went successful, there is no hint at all in the task result summary or test result. Only if you open the attached TRX file from the test result, in Visual Studio you will see test failures.

This makes the whole test result reporting useless.

A data-driven test should…

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Stop maximising Visual Studio automatically.

When I start up Visual Studio, it can take a while so I minimise it to go do something else. But Visual Studio rudely demands your attention as it loads every little thing.

I suggest that it stops doing that. Because it's annoying and unnecessary.

9 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Different icons for DLL-refs and Project-refs

In the project reference folder there is a list of references to other assemblies. These can be referenced by pointing to a dll or to another project in the solution. It would be really helpful and emphazise correct linking if one could easily see (on the icon) whether the refence is made to a project or to a dll.

107 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Enable Quick Launch even when VS starts in Full Screen

Currently, when Visual Studio opens in full screen, Quick Launch is unavailable. I find mysef having to toggle full screen back and forth in order to make Quick Launch available.

This is only an issue when VS starts in full screen; moving to full screen after startup doesn't disable Quick Launch.

I suggest having QuickLaunch available from the start, even when Visual Studio starts in full screen.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Ideal Microsoft Solution for future of Client side app development

Now that Microsoft has acquired Xamarin, which used XAML as base for Xamarin Forms, it is high time, we have one design language across all possible platforms. Despite Xamarin telling all that Xamarin Forms is for prototypes, many have built numerous applications using Xamarin Forms for both consumer and enterprise apps, for simple reason of sharing UI and Code across platforms. Only thing XAML hasn't touched so far is HTML generation. There was iFactr which was doing it, but I think after acquisition by Zebra, they stopped that. Doing that won't be much of an issue. Having mobile web app…

15 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • add a cl.exe option for system headers like gcc's -isystem

msvc is the only reason we have to clutter our code with
                            #ifdef _MSC_VER
                            #pragma warning(push, 0)
                            #endif

blocks.

20 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • MTM, TFS - When an user set a Test Case result to Pass, mark all the test steps inside to Pass as well

When reviewing a Test Result, the Test Step Details are not included if the user did not mark some of the steps to Pass or Fail.
                              The Test Step Details should be included regardless of their state/results since they give information of which step actions were done during the execution of the tests.

10 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • 7 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Remove Visual Studio Dependencies from MSTest

Migrated from ASP.NET User Voice (http://aspnet.uservoice.com/forums/41199-general-asp-net/suggestions/488734-remove-visual-studio-dependencies-from-mstest):

I can't stand the idea of having to install Visual Studio on a build server. MSTest should be standalone like NUnit (or any other test frameworks).

17 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Team Explorer -> csproj rollback -> swaps to Solution Explorer. Make it stay on Team Explorer?

Prior to having my changes reviewed by someone before checking into TFS, I like to self-review the changes I have made, and rollback any non-changes. If there are non-changes to some csproj files, I'll roll them back.

Each time a csproj file is rolled back, focus swaps from Team Explorer, to Solution Explorer. This gets frustrating if these windows are tabbed over each other.

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • msxml3.dll no longer workes with Compiled HTML Help Files

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but the moderator of the forum I originally posted it to directed me here.

After installing Windows 10, my MSDN Library (from Visual Studio 6, October 2001) reports scripting errors on most pages. After debugging the error, the problem is that the MSXML.DOMDocument ActiveX control cannot retrieve an XML file (embedded in the Help Collection). The version of the msxml3.dll/msxml3r.dll files is MSXML 3.0, 8.110.10586.494 (sizes 1,902,592/3,072 bytes). The previous version of these dll files works fine - version MSXML 3.0 SP11, 8.110.7601.23373 (sizes 1,885,696/2,048 bytes). I…

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow repositioning of intellisense popup

When I am typing lines of code, the Intellisense block pops up to tell you the parameters of a function call I am making. But I find myself all too often needing to be able to read the line(s) of code directly above where i am typing, and it is directly under the intellisense block. Then I have to cancel the intellisense read the variable name I need, and go back and resume typing. Soemtimes the intellisens comes back ,sometimes it doesnt. But if I could just slightly reposition the intellisense popup itself, it would just make life so much…

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Support "interface" constraint in generics

A new constraint for generics allowing to limit the type parameter to an interface type only:

public class MyClass<T> : T, where T : interface
                                          {
                                          // ...
                                          }

4 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base