Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. add a global override shortcut prefix for access to default shortcut sequence behaviour

Some plugins (like VisualAssist and VsVim) override the default editor shortcuts. I suggest that a key (e.g. ESC) or key sequence (e.g. ESC, ESC) be added, that when pressed, followed by any shortcut sequence, will execute the default built-in shortcut sequence action, rather than the override action.

For example:
    Alt+M (execute whatever action)
    ESC ESC Alt+M (execute the default editor action)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 7 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Normalize the arguments used when creating and installing an offline layout.

I just went through the process of creating then installing an offline layout. For the most part it worked well, but one confusing part was how when I created the layout the syntax for specifying the component list was "--add Component.A Component.B Component.C". But then when I went to install from the layout I created this syntax was invalide, I had to specify "--add" between each one, which is something I was able to figure out by looking at the dd_client*.log file in my %temp% directory. Considering I was calling vs_community.exe in both cases, it seemed very odd that the…

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Stop using MS Edge for debugging ASP.Net apps

Positing for a second that MS Edge is unsuitable for debugging ASP.Net apps (see list below), PLEASE stop defaulting to that browser when debugging. I prefer to have the experience relatively streamlined so that I can focus on debugging *my* code. However, with Edge's flakiness, I'm having to jump debugging paradigms and deal with whatever bugs Edge wants to expose. It's just a royal pain in the &*# compared to vPrev, which wasn't great for ASP.Net either.
          Why Edge is bad for debugging ASP.Net:
          1. VS does not attach its debugger; it uses Edge's, so I constantly have to open…

7 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make live unit testing configurable

Right now, live unit testing in VS2017 RC will run all all unit tests in the solution. It would be great to restrict it to certain test assemblies (e.g. with file name filter, *.unittest.dll).

Why? Imagine you have a solution with unit tests and integration tests (or even Coded UI tests). In this setup, it's common that you don't want your integration tests run whenever you do a code change.

Or is this already possible? Via test configuration file? I could not find anything.

10 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • rc3

Release jet another RC before the final release! I had blocking bugs in previous RCs that didn't allow a full test. Or else, update more often the RC builds in all the components

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • 2017: don't require SQL LocalDb for web workload

Please don't require SQL LocalDb for the web workload. I use SQL Server remotely and will never use LocalDb, and of course some people don't do SQL programming at all. I can understand making IISExpress and LocalDb selected by default when choosing the web workload, but please allow both to be un-selected. Neither are required to make an ASP.Net or MVC project.

8 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • IntelliJ IDEA like autosave

Autosave all files; like IntelliJ IDEA. There is not notion of saving or that of dirty files by placing an "*" in the tab. Anything you type is saved, always. Of course, have a buffer and persist when user is not blasting away on the keyboard. And VS makes sure to persist everything in this buffer when user closes solution.
                  Perhaps allow turning off the feature if user wants to save it manually.

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add "Copy Diff from Left to Right" button and vice versa

Add "Copy Diff from Left to Right" button and vice versa

VS 2015 is awesome. I really appreciate its speed and CodeLens and other things, but there is one I would like to ask you to improve: can you please add functionality like "copy diff from left to right" and vice versa to VS diff tool? I do not want to select piece of code, copypaste it and then remove the old one in the other file. I want one button which will be shown when I put cursor to a line of code and will do it for me…

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • In c++ projects link .h and .cpp files linked together in the tabs

In the bar with tabs there should be a way to link the .cpp and .h file together so they are next to each other. In that way you can always find the file easily in the tabs. See the attachment.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Fix the alignment of new Find All References + Allow easy disable

The new Find References with color coding is nice but is very hard to just look at the window and find what you need because some code is one line and some is two lines.

I like to put the filename column on the left but then I noticed that the code is not aligned. See attached Image

The code fragment should be centered vertically.

Also preferably there should be a faint line between each item. it is a very hard window to work with.

There should also be a way to easily disable it with a button. That is…

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • toggle comment

I'd have short cut key to toggle code block comment out and uncomment out.
                          On default kyeboard map scheme, to comment out code block, we use Ctrl+K, Ctrl+C, to uncomment out, Ctrl+K, Ctrl+U.

I wanna use "Ctrl + /" to toggle comment code block,
                          like in Visual Code.

7 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Add support for System.Data.SQLClient in UWP

There are many reasons one would want to connect to an "on prem" SQL Server from a UWP. We have several applications we cannot distribute through the Windows Store because this limitation exists.

UWP are able to connect to other databases such as SQLite or MySQL. Why not allow SQL Server as well?

Please add support for System.Data.SQLClient in UWP.

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Redirect std::cout or std::clog to Visual Studio Output window.

Have either std::cout or std::clog output to the Visual Studio debug window, so users don't have to write macros or global functions that sends copies of everything to std:: as well as OutputDebugString().

2 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • provide complete offline help option

The offline help in VS 2015 has not been updated in ages, and is not synchronized with the online help. Online help has poor usability and sometimes there isn't wifi around. I see in VS 2017 offline help is not even an option!

15 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Add feature to "git remote prune" the repository

It would be nice if there was an option in the VS UI Team Explorer to perform a "git remote prune" command to cleanup the origins.

After a while branches are created and deleted but what you see in Visual Studio is not in sync with the origin. Almost all other git tools (SourceTree, Tower to name a few) provide this feature.

20 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Give a download pause button when installing update update through online installer

Please give that button to atleast pause the download if its take 6 hours to update from VS Community update 2 to update 3.
                                    First download everything and then install one by one. Is this so much to ask for. Have the microsoft guys lost some common sense as to how to build a update tool. No one has time to sit around and update VS for 6 to 12 hours. We have got a life to live to. So please think about it.

18 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In Visual Studio 2017, we optimized the build-to-build upgrade to inspect what’s on your machine and only download the specific components that have changed. Small updates can occur in a minute or two rather than hours.

We don’t serialize download and install by default, because as you note everyone wants updates to be as fast as possible – and so we install updates as quickly as they come down the wire. If you want to create a download cache prior to installing, you can use the —layout command line switch with the installer.

Thanks for your feedback – we do appreciate it!

Yours, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• provide effective CLI tooling for running multiple .NET Core projects in Visual Studio

Debugging .NET Core web applications that require multiple Kestrel instances is often difficult. For example, consider an Aurelia client application using data provided by a .NET Core Web API that is secured by ASP.NET Identity, authorization through IdentityServer4. This could use three separate Kestrel instances:

1. Web API
                                      2. IdentityServer4
                                      3. Client

Using command prompts gets unwieldy, as they are opened outside of Visual Studio and managed manually. It would be simpler to keep track of everything if Visual Studio offered some sort of tooling for opening multiple command prompts and managing them as windows attached to the IDE.

5 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Allow color customization for structure guide lines

I like the structure guide lines. But I'd like to use a more subtle color for the lines. However, "structure guide lines" or anything like it doesn't exist in the Fonts and Colors choices.

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • 1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base