Visual Studio 2015

Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise). You can also add suggestions for Team Services or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Connect to file a bug. Note that Application Insights has moved to its own UserVoice forum.

We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Visual Studio team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add full namespace of test for VSTest.console.exe result

When run Unit Test with MSTest, it will show full namespace of the test method in test result as below:
    Passed MyCompany.UnitTests.BusinessEntities.PaymentCardTests

But in VSTest.consolse.exe, there just test method shown in test result:
    Passed NewPaymentCard_PaymentList

When the test method names are not unique, we could not confirm which tests are passed and which are failed.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Highlight the last Stack Frame accessed in the dropdown menu

The Stack Frame dropdown menu (which appears when debugging c++ applications) should have a different coloration (or at least some indication) on the current menu item that is being viewed.

It is often the case that, when trying to diagnose the cause of a break (be it a a manual or forced break point) it becomes necessary to jump between different stack frames to see what the program was doing at different levels of function calls. When the stack becomes deep it can be cumbersome to find the line in the dropdown menu associated with the current stack frame, which…

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Find and Replace automatically set context to Selection

Whenever I select a block of text and click CTRL+H to perform Find and Replace I would like that Find and Replace dialog context is automatically set to 'Selection'.
        This used to work like that in previous version of VS and I find it odd that it has been changed.

8 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Question regarding _set_se_translator... Is there anyway to get the source file name, function name, and line number?

I would suggest adding support where the translator function could have the function name, source file name, and the line number where the exception occurred.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Display the name of the build in TFS build email notifications

Email notifications when build fails is a great feature and we use it team collection wide as an announcement to all members.

However, we tried to use less team projects, so in one team projects, there would be multiple projects as well as multiple builds.

The notification email would be displayed something as
            "[Team Project's name] Build 20160702.1 failed"

It would be much better to display the actual build name like
            "[Build's name] Build 20160702.1 failed"

This will help increase visibility and avoid confusion.

One step further would be to open up the subject of the email alert for customization.

5 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Visual Studio Typescript extension should support all versions of TypeScript

I am using Microsoft.Typescript.MSBuild v1.8.11 nuget package to build my TypeScript so that I am in control of the version. The latest Visual Studio Typescript extension only support version 1.8.6 of TypeScript. I need version 1.8.11 to build rxjs 5.0.0-beta.7 without erros.

The build works fine but the problem is that I get hundreds of IntelliSense errors. We have a large team so various workarounds of only showing builds errors are not particularly helpful.

See https://github.com/Microsoft/TypeScript/issues/8518 for details of the issue.

I think:
              1) There should be a Visual Studio extension for every released version of Typescript including minor releases…

10 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Support Code Coverage for Universal Apps (Windows 10 App)

Unit testing experience for Win 10 universal apps is very bad. I was not able to use NUnit 3.x and even when I use MSTest, Code Coverage tool in VS 2015 Enterprise (Update1 / Update2) produces no results.

Please support code coverage analysis.

19 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • open source Windows Forms

Windows Forms is still the mostly used desktop technology for Windows Desktop Apps world wide, and WPF is only very slowly catching up. Still today, even the most new Desktop Applications projects become Windows Forms Apps, and on Windows CE industry devices, Windows Forms is often without alternative. Open Sourcing Windows Forms would allow the community to extend Windows Forms with functionality like true Mvvm support or seemless High Dpi scaling to find an easier, albeit long-term migration path to newer UI technologies, and it would increase business apps count for Windows 10, which derive from a new WinForms Developing…

994 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    17 comments  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Implement the SilverLight client runtime in TypeScript

Everything you need is there!
                    * HTML canvas with hardware acceleration
                    * WebSockets for client/server communication

And converting the C# code you have for SilverLight to TypeScript should be rather straight forward.

You would get a all the good things of Silverlight and it's productivity and it would work on any platform supporting HTML5.

Just do it!

6 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Can architecture menu option will be added in visual studio community edition

Can architecture menu option be available for visual Studio community edition user, it will be very useful.

5 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Auto Import

Sometimes we use clases that are not in the intelligence and not in our namespace. Why don't white it with help of the intelligence and auto import it

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Don't overwrite VM network adapter settings when launching the emulator

By default the emulator cannot connect to the internet if you don't have a router in your network. This is easily fixed by changing the Emulator External Network Adapter to a virtual switch the internet connection has been shared with (ICS).

However, this only works after the emulator is already up and running since any changes made to the VM network adapter settings in Hyper-V Manager will be overwritten by XDE.exe/emulatormgr.exe when launching the emulator.

30 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Prevent VS2015 being made top most window while loading

When launching VS2015 it takes quite a long time to load.

During this time VS2015 is unresponsive to user input which means you can't minimise it.

If while it is loading I show my desktop to hide VS2015, VS2015 pops back to the foreground several times as it loads.

This is kind of bad manners for an application, and it means that while VS2015 is loading I can't get on with another task such as organising other apps because at some random point VS2015 will pop to the foreground in a non responsive state.

1. Please multi-thread VS2015 startup so…

0 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • TFS 2015 does not show UnitTest standard output

I did some transform on the server for my UnitTests from xUnit Xml to Trx as part of my build. This way TFS can show the UnitTest counts in the build summary. That part works fine, the user can see the count of the UnitTests on the summary of the build. The user can also click the link and see the list of UnitTests that were run under the "Test results" tab. UnitTest List

However when you double click one of the tests to see the standard output from the UnitTest, TFS does not show the standard output.

When I…

23 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • New VS option to have fully qualified using definitions inside the namespace

It would be nice it there were an option to specify if using definitions, added inside a namespace, should be added fully qualified or shortened using the "Quick Fix" command.
                                Current it's only possible to add shortened usings, which leads to a strange sorting order for sub-namespaces (and doesn't give that good of an overview what namespaces are used in that scope).
                                Also the current Visual Studio 2015 feature removes the empty line that separates the using definitions and the class documentation comment, that should probably just be fixed.

For details and some screenshots of the current behavior see: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visualstudiogeneral/thread/8673cc0c-679c-493a-baa3-611a33acdc18/

79 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Show a preview of the location of project and solution files in the Create Project dialog

The "Create directory for solution" checkbox is a source of confusion, even for seasoned developers: https://twitter.com/tom_forsyth/status/748397481210306560
                                  https://twitter.com/HookTM/status/748317930144796675
                                  https://twitter.com/bmcnett/status/748309501195935746

Showing a preview of the final paths for the sln and vcxproj files in the Create Project dialog would solve this for everyone.

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Hello VS Team, We should implement the following features in the Testing tools Suite of Visual Studio

Hello VS Team, We should implement the following features in the in coming versions of Visual Studio Suite of Testing tools.These are more in demand from a number of clients

1. Migration of Performance scripts from Load Runner --> Web Load & Performance Testing

2. Migration of Automation scripts from Unified Fucntional Tester --> Coded UI Testing

This would change the complete landscape of the tool. As a product Manager and Test manager I would find these very important features in VSTS

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Add a change counter label to each file in Incuded changes tree

Team Explorer > Pending Changes > Included Changes has a counter label for the number of files changed, but there should be a file-level indicator for the number of changes in a particular file. I've had on numerous occasions, run a merge between branches and the file has zero changes. It would be helpful before diving into diff to see a little indicator at the file name, such as "(X)" where X is the number of changes detected. It would make my workflow faster.

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • IntelliSense tag for indicating thread safety

It'll be great to have a dedicated class/method documentation tag for IntelliSense, which would allow to specify the thread-safety of the member.

Example:

/// <summary>
                                        /// A sample class used to show the usage of intelliSense support.
                                        /// </summary>
                                        /// <threadSafety>SomeMembersSafe</threadSafety>
                                        public class TestClass
                                        {
                                        /// <summary>
                                        /// Handles something a sample method can handle, in a thread-way manner.
                                        /// </summary>
                                        /// <threadSafety>ThreadSafe</threadSafety>
                                        public void ThreadSafeMethod()
                                        {
                                        // some logic here, which is thread safe
                                        }

/// <summary>
                                        /// Handles something a sample method can handle, in a non-thread-way manner.
                                        /// </summary>
                                        /// <threadSafety>NonThreadSafe</threadSafety>
                                        public void NonThreadSafeMethod()
                                        {
                                        // some…

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • When projects aren't compatible, tell us WHY they're not compatible.

When trying to design a UAP project, we frequently get errors trying to form dependencies between projects. It's very frustrating, since there's no warning before hand, and it a lot of work to set up the project. The error provides no details as to why, so to troubleshoot, all we can do is trial and error. Can you explain WHY something isn't compatible?

4 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base