Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Error 0x80131500

[3ba4:002e][2017-07-27T16:33:39] Error 0x80131500:
    em Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Dependencies.DependencyManager.FindDependentPackages(Dependency dependency, DependencyComparer comparer, Dictionary`2 packageIndex)
    em Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Dependencies.DependencyManager.BuildGraphRecursive(IPackage graphRoot, DependencyNode node, DependencyComparer comparer, Dictionary`2 packageIndex, Dictionary`2 nodeIndex, Boolean splitNodes)
    em Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Dependencies.DependencyManager.BuildGraphCore(IPackage root, IEnumerable`1 packages, DependencyComparer comparer, Dictionary`2 packageIndex, Dictionary`2 nodeIndex, Boolean splitNodes)
    em Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Dependencies.DependencyManager.BuildGraph(IPackage root, IEnumerable`1 packages, Boolean isUpdate, IDependencyComparisonSeed seed)
    em Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.BuildDependencyGraph(Product product, Boolean overwrite)O pacote dependente não pode ser localizado: Component.Redgate.ReadyRoll,version=1.14.6.4220

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 1,481 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        62 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are excited to let you know that we are working on this suggestion. We expect this feature to be released by the end of the year. Not only will you be able to commit to submodules, but you will also be able to view the file history and blame within a submodule.

However, VS will not yet have “full” submodule support; you will only be able to have one Git repo open per VS instance. Therefore, working between a submodule and the parent repo will not be seamless. To help us prioritize further submodule features, please open new UserVoice items.

Kayla Ngan
        Program Manager

• Update the form border to that of Windows 10

The standard Windows Form border in Design View still looks like that of Windows XP. Update it to the better and slim looking form borders of Windows 10.

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Task runner should support subfolder

package.json, gulpfile, etc need to be on root of the project in order to be detected by the Task Runner.

It should be possible to add those files in a subfolder.

12 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add 'Start without Debugging' to Right-Click Project Menu

Sometimes I need to launch a couple of my other projects first before my default startup project. However, if I use the right-click the project in Solution Explorer and go to Debug -> Start new Instance it launches the VS Debugger, so I have to detach from the process and then launch the next part before I can finally just use F5 or Ctrl+F5 to launch my main project with or without debugging.

It'd be great of the context menu for the project's Debug menu had a 'Start without Debugging' option as well to just launch the project process without…

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • I would suggest less 'light' and more 'dark' for all typography for readers over 35.

Who decided that contrast in typography was evil, that typography should be narrow (saving ink?), any color that blends into the background (ever see a billboard with those criteria? Would you purchase a good book you REALLY wanted to read, with 8 point type in light gray? Please folks, this is an exercise in critical thinking, and you have decided on pastel. Check with the folks at Microsoft who sell add space, and ask them if their customers demand 'light blue' text. On this page, the background is '255' while the only '000' is in the title and text of…

5 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Support Python Drag-And-Drop

Although I am quite impressed with the ease of use and programming language support in Visual Studio, I would like to see Python GUI development via Dragging-and-Dropping controls on the Python window. A good library for this is Tkinter. There are many other IDEs that already allow this. For Visual Studio to compete as a product for universal program development, it must be able to do this. Python is very powerful like C#, but is cross-platform, meaning a higher user share.

24 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Help me make Visual Studio usable. I can't do my job.

Can you please make Visual Studio:

1) Not hang for 50 seconds (at least) every time the user hits F7,
                  2) Not make VS produce duff builds that don't reflect the source 40% of the time,
                  3) Fix the bug where the docked windows become docked of their own accord sporadically.

This is getting worse with every release of VS, and it's now reached the point where my company are paying me to sit around twiddling my thumbs for half the day waiting for VS to rebuild the mess it previously built that just crashes as soon as it runs.…

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Stop stealing focus when a breakpoint trips.

Just blink the icon on the app bar when VS trips a breakpoint and VS isn't the app with focus. Don't just take focus and start processing the keyboard events meant for the app I am in at the time. Don't checkout the source file. Don't start intellisense. Don't start edit&continue debug. I'll get to VS when I see the blinking icon in the app bar in my own good time. How hard can this be? Other apps do it. And VS does it too when I am debugging two communicating applications. Step over a call in one instance of…

19 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • The 2017 icon looks terrible when pinned to Taskbar

It just looks terrible. This 3D negative look is so out of character with any other icons on Windows, and when it pins to the desktop as shown in the attachment it really looks bad.

#SmallThingsMatter

23 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        3 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add support for the Concurrency Visualizer to VS 2017

VS 2017 documentation seems to point to VS 2015 Concurrency Visualizer downloads

26 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add the DateTime to bottom of Publish Summary and Output

For years I have published projects for local debug and then often wondered 10 seconds later after being distracted, if I pushed the publish button or not. Adding the DateTime of a publish completion to the bottom of the Output and summary panes would give me more confidence in my actions and provide a much needed santiy check at a glance.

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Check your website

To check your https://www.visualstudio.com/ between 1050px and 800px your buttons are above the text

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • enable us to configure a "Press any key to continue . . ." message at the end of the F5 run of console applications

the idea is: enable us to configure a "Press any key to continue . . ." message at the end of the F5 run of console applications

the rationale behind this is (why I feel this need): I am preparing an introductory programming material and I expect a reader to press F5 *at least* one time for each example... and it is rather stupid that each exercise in such a material MUST end with otherwise completely unnecessary and illogical "Console.ReadlineLine()" statement... teaching beginners to write programs that way just harms their programming minds in their infancy and does not belong…

60 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Support includeif from the Git Configuration

Since Git 2.13 it is possible to include addition config based on the path of git repositories.

https://git-scm.com/docs/git-config#_includes

I use this to have different E-Mail Configuration for different Folders, to not set user.email in every repository in this folder.

But Visual Studio 2017 does ask me constantly about user.name and user.email. so it has clearly a problem detecting [includeif].

5 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • python for visual studio mac

please make a tool or extension of Python for Visual Studio Mac

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Visual Basic 6.0 (Classic) upgrade to 7.0 should be able to compile standalone Win32, Win64 EXE and Android APK

1. First of all Visual Basic Classic should be brought back! (i.e: Visual Basic 7.0)
                                    2. Visual Basic Classic version should compile to standalone Win32, Win64 executables and Android applications (the APIs which are available and common to both).

By compiling to Android APK I mean the language of coding should be BASIC which is JAVA in Android Studio.

There are many programs/frameworks on the internet which use Basic Language to compile Android applications.

Even Delphi (Pascal) creates Android applications.

If Microsoft makes this new Visual Basic Classic, there will be a steep rise in Visual Basic Classic programmers. Any…

289 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      8 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Don't put other than solution files in VS2017's jumplist

I don't see a reason to fill up recent and jumplist with csproj?, VisualStudio cannot (normally?) work without solution files anyway, so why fill these lists with unnessesary stuff?
                                      Or let me have an filter for what to put in them.

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Upgrade TFS power tools to 2017

TFS Power Tools for VS 2015 has shell extensions for TFS commands; these need to be upgraded to work with VS 2017

17 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • AYY LMAOOOOOO SUP MY DUD LET MEH EXPLAIN

is there a way to make a roblox exploit. if not plz kthxbye

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Games  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base