Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Azure DevOps Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Azure DevOps teams

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Azure DevOps and Team Foundation Server (TFS), so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The VSTS Team

How can we improve Azure DevOps?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Raise the character limit for pull request descriptions

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365708/raise-the-character-limit-for-pull-request-descrip.html
    The current 4000 character limit for a pull request description is too low. Sure, most PRs can be described in far less than 4000 characters, but for significant changes or new features that require detailed explanation, I've hit this limit multiple times. So far, I've worked around it by continuing my description in a comment, but limiting the description size seems arbitrary. If there has to be a limit, something like 10000 or 20000 seems like it would cover even the unusually large…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Inherit branch policies from parent branch

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365671/inherit-branch-policies-from-parent-branch.html
    When branching in Git, I would like the new branch to inherit the branch policies from the source/parent branch. Then you would not have to recreate the policies each time you branch.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Code Review Notification

I find it to be a flaw when someone on my developer team has to send me a message on Skype telling me they have sent me a code review and then I have to go dig through "My Work" to find the review and accept it.

What I would like to start seeing for this and other events like this that occur in Visual Studio would be "Skype-like notifications" that happen perhaps on the bottom right hand side of my screen, a little box that pops up that tells me I have a new code review. I could then…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make cross-team project checkins properly respect checkin policies of each individual team project.

It is currently possible to check in files that fail the checkin policies of a team project by also checking in files from other team projects at the same time. See http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/726309/custom-checkin-policy-not-being-applied for more details about this currently "by design" "feature".

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

5. Revert all unchanged items from changeset before check-in

Imagine 100 checked-out files, while trying something out, and now you want to check-in your changes.
    I feel more comfortable if I see directly which files really changed, before checking-in.

A button "Undo all unchanged" would e.g. undo 90 of these 100 files and now you see clearly which 10 files you really changed.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. When adding comments on a pull request, it would be nice if I had an option to batch them before sending them.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365986/when-adding-comments-on-a-pull-request-it-would-be.html
    When providing comments on VSTS code reviews, I wish there was a way to batch my comments before sending them out. Currently, they're send as soon as I add them, which means people are responding to them before I even finish the review. I don't have a chance to go back, edit/delete them as I progress through the review.

This also generates a lot of spam as comment replies generate a new email for each one.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow proper git integration without ms-persist.xml

Although I welcome git integration in VS2013 and TFS, Microsoft have put in a strange and unnecessary proprietary extension; namely ms-persist.xml. This file is saved to the git repo, and is used so that users can select to "exclude" files in the "Changes" dialog in Visual Studio. I don't see the point in this. I'd rather work with Git's built-in staging area.

Why not provide an option to have full Git integration, and not use ms-persist.xml? When this option is selected, ms-persist.xml should not be written to or read from the Git repo dir. The Changes section would change to…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support sparse checkout in the git extension

Currently, if you look at all the changes in a sparsely checked out git repository, all the files that were NOT checked out are listed as deleted.

All the files that were not checked out by the sparse checkout should likewise be ignored by git in visual studio.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Export code review comments to excel/word, options to export all or by change set or subset of them and possibly full text search in query

Export code review comments to excel/word, options to export all or by change set or subset of them and possibly full text search in query

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. implement a more intelligent merge for xml files (including project files) and sln files

Merging project files and especially solution files is a real pain currently. For solution files, it would probably be better to ditch the current format altogether and replace it with a more sane xml format. The core problem is that projects are numbered, so when 2 users add a project to the solution, you have to either fix it by editing manually or disregard the changes and re-add your projects. It's a pain either way.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Tagging to Pull Request

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365839/tagging-to-pull-request.html
    I want to tag to Pull Request, like a github.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow branches to be deleted based on security settings regardless of branch policy settings

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365778/allow-branches-to-be-deleted-based-on-security-set.html
    Only administrators are able to delete branches that have branch policies, regardless of the branch security defined.

We have configured repository Version Control security to allow Contributors to delete branches. For branches that have branch policies defined to require review of a pull request and build validation contributors are not able to delete the branch.

See attached file for branch security settings, branch policy settings, and the permission error received when a user attempts to delete a branch.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add iteration support to Pull Request

When a new PR is created, it is clear the developer waits for review. Then after first review, if reviewer is "Waiting", it is now clear the reviewer is waiting for new commits from the developer. But after that things get messy, because it is not clear whether the reviewer is still waiting for the developer to address his comments, or the developer is waiting for his new code to be reviewed.

Since code review is an iterative process, it would be great if PR would also support iterations:
    1. It should always be clear who is waiting for whom.…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow Branch Policies to require valid builds for any applicable CI builds of the target branch of a PR

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365640/allow-branch-policies-to-require-valid-builds-for.html
    In Branch Policies, there is an "Automatically build pull requests" section. In that section, a single build can be selected to be run whenever a pull request is created. While that feature is very nice to have in simple repositories, allowing only a single build to be selected severely limits the usefulness of it in more complex repositories.

I would like to be able to require valid builds for any CI builds that would be triggered by merging the pull request into the…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Moving branch/folder in TFS should keep & display all change history of old branch_name folder at the new branch_name folder

After renaming a branch (for re-organisation purpose), some or most of change history used to be seen in the old branch_name folder is no longer seen in the new branch name folder.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Search / Filter commit messages

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365924/search-filter-commit-messages.html
    I can't find a way to filter / search in git commit messages.
    How can this not be proposed? It seems big

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. The command line utility tf.exe should allow to associate work items to a check in

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365756/the-command-line-utility-tfexe-should-allow-to-ass.html
    The command line utility tf.exe should allow to associate work items to a check in.

Something like tf checkin /workitems:1234,5874,5777

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Pull Request shouldn't allow edits after "approval"

After my pull request was approved, before it was "completed", I committed another change to the branch.When I subsequently "completed" the pull request, it included the latest change that had not been reviewed as part of the approval.

This is similar to "Clear pull request Approval/Rejection when new commits come in", but I'm not sure if it's a bug that the latest change was included or not?

Perhaps the branch could be tagged at the "approved" version and that version could be the one merged when "complete" is clicked

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Display merge conflicts details online in Pull Requests

When there is a merge conflict in a pull request on Git in VSTS, there are no details on the merge conflict (which files, lines, ...)

It would be useful to have a summary of the conflicts that prevent the automatic merge.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Set version control permissions by REST API

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365828/set-version-control-permissions-by-rest-api.html
    Now we can set version control permissions through the VSTS web page https://account.visualstudio.com/project/_admin/_versioncontrol as the document https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/security/set-git-tfvc-repository-permissions mentions.

It will be convenient if we can also set version control permissions through REST API.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Feedback and Knowledge Base