Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Azure DevOps Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Azure DevOps teams

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Azure DevOps and Team Foundation Server (TFS), so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The VSTS Team

How can we improve Azure DevOps?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow access to code review comments

In medical device development it is mandatory to provide code review reports:
    1. Allow to access code review comments via TFS API.
    2. Provide a code review report via reporting services.

- cheers

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create more display filters for TFS2012 Web Access.

Users need to be able to view PDF, Docx and VSS file extensions without having to download the file first. This would make the Web Access tool in TFS more popular with none programmers

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Migrate a shelveset to a different branch

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366130/migrate-a-shelveset-to-a-different-branch.html
    Restore functionality in TFS/TFVC 2017 to migrate a shelveset to a different branch when unshelving.

This functionality was available in Powertools 2015 via

tfpt unshelve /migrate /source:"$/ProjectName/Branch" /target:"$/ProjectName/Targetbranch" "My Shelveset Name"

But there is no equivalent or workaround for vs 2017 as far as I can tell.

(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49371144/visual-studio-2017-cannot-move-shelveset-to-another-branch)

Moving incomplete work between branches as release dates change, or new work comes in is a common practice for us.
    Now we have to temporarily commit incomplete/broken work to merge it into other…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. File diff should have horizontal scrollbar pinned to the bottom of the browser window

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365650/file-diff-should-have-horizontal-scrollbar-pinned.html
    When viewing a file diff on the web portal (e.g. when reviewing pull request changes, or looking at a commit's changes), the horizontal scroll bar currently shows up at the very bottom of the file. This is fine if the file changes do not extend past the bottom of your browser window, but if they do you have to either:
    1. Select text and drag the mouse to horizontally scroll.
    2. Middle click the mouse to horizontally scroll.
    3. Vertically scroll to the…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Delete a version control repository

It would be interesting a have the possibility to delete a version control repository.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow me to perform an unsolicited code review

Sometimes I'm performing code reviews on random changesets, and I want to send my comments to the original developer. However, there is no way for me to create the code review request myself.

I would like to be able to kick off a code review myself, without the committer needing to explicitly create a request.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Extra pull request filter state (Active, Resolved, Closed)

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365768/extra-pull-request-filter-state-active-resolved-cl.html
    It's really nice that you can now filter comments in pull requests, but currently you can only filter 2 states: active (active and pending) and resolved (resolved, closed, won't fix).
    It would be nice to have 3 states to filter on: Active, resolved and closed.
    As a programmer I must know whether I've already resolved a comment or whether it's still active.
    As a reviewer I must know whether I've already seen (and closed) a resolved comment or not.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support git-lfs through SSH (git-lfs-authenticate)

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365743/support-git-lfs-through-ssh-git-lfs-authenticate.html
    Support git-lfs-authenticate command to support git-lfs access through SSH. See https://github.com/git-lfs/git-lfs/issues/1044#issuecomment-188893647

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Request a code review for Git

Like in TFS make a review Request out of Visual Studio.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow me to select "Team Queries" at check-in in TFS 2012, like in TFS 2010

In TFS 2010, when checking-in code change, you could select any work-item query from "My Queries" or "Shared Queries". In TFS 2012, you can only select from "My Favorites", but you first have to DRAG and DROP a Team Query into your Favorites. Why the manual step? Out of the box with a new team project, developers cannot check in code with first performing the manual step of this drag-and-drop of work-item query...why? Doesn't make sense from a usability perspective. Additionally, I cannot chance the Process Template to default a "My Favorite" query. Manual intervention should not be mandatory to…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Implement "Go To Definition (F12)" as a right-click menu option in VSTS pull requests

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365996/implement-go-to-definition-f12-as-a-right-click-me.html
    In TFS code reviews, we had the option of using F12 to go to the definition of methods defined within the file being reviewed. This worked both for new and existing code. This is a huge time saver when you have to review code that calls a new method many times. Using search takes a lot longer to find the actual method implementation.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. When creating a pull request default target branch to should be the branch that was base of topic branch

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365682/when-creating-a-pull-request-default-target-branch.html
    I accidentally completed a pull request into wrong branch as I assumed that default target will be whichever branch I used to create my topic branch. It seem more logical to me to default to that value than to use most common branch as topic branch was based on some other branch for a reason.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow one reviewer in a group to approve a pull request.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365679/allow-one-reviewer-in-a-group-to-approve-a-pull-re.html
    I want to have at least one person out of a group of technical leads review pull requests into a branch. but currently only have 2 options.

1. Required - Then all of them have to review it and that becomes too onerous
    2. Optional - Then none of them need to approve it.

Could we get a third option - where only x out of the review group needs to approve. Or alternatively, allow user to add a security group as a…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Support git atomic push in Visual Studio Online

Could you support git atomic push?

My story around that is for large team, where you want both your initial commit and associated merges in upper branches to be pushed at the same time.

git push --all --atomic

Documentation is here
    https://git-scm.com/docs/git-push (search "--[no-]atomic")

Thank you

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Activity Log to TFS Online to track user access of source code

An absolutely must have feature for compliance is to have the Activity Log to track user access of source code.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. When in the "Find Changesets" dialog in "Source Control Explorer", it would be nice to have an option to rollback the changeset

When in the "Find Changesets" dialog in "Source Control Explorer", it would be nice to have an option to rollback the changeset that was found/searched for. Currently, you have to view history on the solution/folder/file to select the changeset and roll it back.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ruby on Rails

Please Support Ruby on Rails in TFS and in your ALM.

The whole lifecycle would be great, from Repository to CI (Support for Cucumber, Shoulda, RSPec..) and continuous delivery to Azure with Phusion Passenger. And this should be done, if possible with the IDE RubyMine :)

I think that would be a big advantage to now. now you have a lot of tools for repo, CI, CD and so on. One ALM tool would be a big plus.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add Check-in policy settings to the Process Template

The check-in policies for TFS are currently not settable in the Process template.

Some policies should be satisfied every time in our organisation (successful build, comment and associatie to workitem).
    At the moment we have to (and don't forget) to set these policies manually on each new project.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Provide a way to reuse files or folders in TFS source control

Most SCC tools provide a way to reuse files or folders in source control.
    Solutions such as SVN externals, ClearCase components, Synergy sub-projects etc.
    TFS does not provide such a solution and the only way to manage code reuse is by creating complex branching schemes (which call for even more complex an error prone merging) or complex workspace mappings.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fork a repository to a different account

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365832/fork-a-repository-to-a-different-account.html
    Currently when you fork a repository and you are choosing the project into which the fork should be placed, you are only able to select from projects inside the same account (<account>.visualstudio.com). It would be great if we could fork to a different account. I note from the original blog post announcement (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/bharry/2017/08/29/vsts-update-aug-28/) it says this is coming "in a few months", so I am only creating this issue to allow people to vote on it.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Feedback and Knowledge Base