Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Azure DevOps Developer Community. To learn more about the migration please check out the release blog post

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Azure DevOps and Team Foundation Server (TFS), so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The VSTS Team

How can we improve Azure DevOps?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Scoped Build Variable Group

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366521/scoped-build-variable-group.html
    Currently running TFS Version 16.131.28106.2

Grouped Variables in a project are great!. But I would like to have the Group visible to multiple Projects.

I have Dozens of projects I need to setup. Each Project has a Production and Test build. One test variable value and one production value. Idealy I'd like to change one entry and have all of my dozens of Projects immediatly see this change.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Agent Queue Waitlist Priority Reorder

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
      https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366518/agent-queue-waitlist-priority-reorder.html
      I need a way to bump up a build to the front of an agent queue.
      We have multiple build definitions and release definitions that target the same agent pool, and get stacked up ten deep at busy times. We need a way to send the more urgent builds to the head of the line.
      A new build/release parameter named, say, queue-priority, would do the trick. I propose that each build/release definition gets a default priority in a mid-range of perhaps 5, where…

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Ability to test YAML builds locally

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366517/ability-to-test-yaml-builds-locally.html
        When testing out YAML builds, I find that my workflow devolves into a bunch of modify local, add, commit, push loops until I get it right.

Ideally, I'd like to iterate locally without any dependency on the server.

Is there any advancements in this area?

Thanks,

John

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• show time on the builds page

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366503/show-time-on-the-builds-page.html
          the builds page shows all the various build definitions but does not show when they last ran. The Releases page however does. It would be very useful i the build page showed this too

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve Navigation

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366495/improve-navigation.html
            I'm forced to select a category, but where I'm suggesting is broader than this. It involves navigation within and across all VSTS features.

Can we please, get a single navigation tree where ALL settings, features and options can be found and viewed. Including breadcrumbs? So I can make an internal map of where I am in the VSTS suite and remember how / where a certain feature is.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow us to refresh lists

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366492/allow-us-to-refresh-lists.html
              The list of Builds and Releases (completed, running, queued, whatever) don't seem to auto-refresh, so I have to refresh the whole page. Provide a refresh button which only refreshes the data.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• The new design needs an easy way to see Builds and Releases in progress (Queued, running)

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366491/the-new-design-needs-an-easy-way-to-see-builds-and.html
                In the old design, you could get a list of Queued builds. I think you still can, but it's not easily found. Same for releases. When I push something to Git, I want to see my work through the pipeline. That's hard to do right now.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Re-enabling continuous integration forgets the previous settings (e.g. Path Filters)

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366487/re-enabling-continuous-integration-forgets-the-pre.html
                  When the Enable continuous integration checkbox is unchecked on a build and then later checked, the previous continuous integration settings are forgotten. These are particularly tedious to setup in many cases (e.g. if you have a lot of path filters).

Per this post (https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/154587/on-resume-paused-build-will-run-all-triggered-buil.html), if you want to temporarily disable a build and then have it resume using the latest code, instead of running every build that was queued up while it was paused, the only way to do that by…

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add test completion to pull request policy

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366472/add-test-completion-to-pull-request-policy.html
                    Allow project test success as a criteria for pull request completion.

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Give me a predefined variable that links to the active build/release

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366451/give-me-a-predefined-variable-that-links-to-the-ac.html
                      I want a variable like $(Build.BuildResultsUri) that links to my build results, so I can post it on Twitter or whereever.

Right now, there is some $(Build.BuildUri) but this is not the right URL - some internal URL instead.

Reference:. https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/344377/there-seems-to-be-no-way-to-link-to-the-current-bu.html?childToView=347408#comment-347408

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Build - get latest artifact option

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366432/build-get-latest-artifact-option.html
                        It should be easier to get the latest artifact of a build.
                        If you try to do it via REST calls, you need to more calls to achieve this (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/ef93cdb2-4533-47a2-86d1-c57770a89694/how-do-i-download-an-artiffact-from-the-latest-build?forum=TFService) It is a big complicated script
                        It should be possible to do a simple rest call using the Build Name and version Latest or to have just a static/unchangeable link Get latest which you could use.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Provide GitHub commit ID that triggered PR-related build

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366419/provide-github-commit-id-that-triggered-pr-related.html
                          Currently in GitHub builds triggered by a pull request, the predefined variable with the commit ID points to a "virtual commit" that represents the (not yet committed) post-merge state of the branch.

That is, it is not actually the source branch that is built but the branch that would result if the PR were to be merged.

I can see how this makes sense. No problem there.

But I want to reference in my build steps the commit ID of the last commit…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• List all build pipeline

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366414/list-all-build-pipeline.html
                            It would be good to have a list of all build definitions, like the one we had in the previous version, in order to be able to review the latest build that have been executed and its result in a single glance.

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Why cannot have Release.Artifacts.{Primary artifact alias}.RequestedForEmail

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366412/why-cannot-have-releaseartifactsprimary-artifact-a.html
                              As you have Release.Artifacts.{Primary artifact alias}.RequestedFor, having Release.Artifacts.{Primary artifact alias}.RequestedForEmail should not be a problem.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Select a TFS build agent such that it minimizes incremental build time

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366405/select-a-tfs-build-agent-such-that-it-minimizes-in.html
                                Goal: select a build agent such that it minimizes incremental build time.
                                See attached document for more information.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• yaml definition: external git

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366402/yaml-definition-external-git.html
                                  Please add a possibility to use external git for yaml build definitions.

Yaml way has only 2 options - internal git or github.

GUI way has this possibility.

Best regards,
                                  Alex

6 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• View last build triggered

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366399/view-last-build-triggered.html
                                    Hi guys,
                                    This new build & Realease views are great,
                                    But I miss some features of the previous ones.
                                    In the former build view, there was a clear section with "favorite" ones, and another with builds triggered by you...

Let say that you've just completed a pull request, which triggered a merge to develop, which triggers a "develop build", from which you want to deploy to "integretion env".
                                    Previously, you'd go to build and the said build was here in progress, because it…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Run this task, only if previous task was not skipped.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366394/run-this-task-only-if-previous-task-was-not-skippe.html
                                      Run this task, only if previous task was not skipped.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• New Build variable for triggered path

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366389/new-build-variable-for-triggered-path.html
                                        In the Build trigger settings it is possible to set a path filter. It would be very useful to have this information, from wich path the build was triggered.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Code coverage for files ending in ts.html results in 400

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366374/code-coverage-for-files-ending-in-tshtml-results-i.html
                                          The initial pages of showing us code coverage results (percentages etc) work just fine, but when we try to view the html to see what's covered and what's not, we get a 400 bad request. We're using JUNIT to perform our coverage.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 37 38

Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Feedback and Knowledge Base